Where to get a zip replaced

Steve Zodiak

My old custom made Bates leather jacket is in need of a new zip. Bates wants $180 to replace it which seems a bit much to me; does anyone have a place that they would recommend to work on leather at a reasonable price?

I don't know what the quality of work would be like, but there's a dry cleaner in my town who said they could replace the zipper in my leather jacket for $60. I had checked with shoe repair and luggage shops and this was the only one who said they were up to this kind of job.

dry cleaners do pretty good jobs at sowing... find one thats been around for a while.

Am I right in thinking that they need to use a "special" type of thread on leather jackets? Normal thread just cuts into it I believe.

I think you might have better luck with someone who works specifically with leather. It's a different beast. If they're not accustomed to stitching leather - or they don't have the proper equipment - they might make a bloody mess of your beloved jacket.

I had a brass YYK zipper put in my leather jacket some years ago
for $40 at the shoemaker. Try there or a Fur storage place.
cheers

If you're not looking to replace the zipper with an exact replacement, I'd spring for a Riri brand zipper. Much better quality over YKK and not all that much more money.

Back
Top Bottom