New Sparkly Bastard...and Im hooked. Update: New Pics on Pg 1!!

mushroom_toy

Well I told my buddies father that I was looking for a glitter 3/4 helmet to wear while we were drinking a beer/working on bikes. So while rummaging through some Triumph parts to find the sidecovers for his BMW R90/6 he pulls out a terrible looking sparkly red bastard of a helmet and tosses it my way. Here ya go he said lol, and I said hell yeah Ill take it. (It was one he used in some vintage tt and mx racing and had mud and deep scuffs and very ratty not to mention terible smelling lining haha). He did win in that helmet though so I knew I was in luck. Wish I would have gotten pics of it before I started on it last night. First thing I did was go at it with some #0000 steel wool with a little mother polish on it. Got all the crap off of it minus the deep scuffs, which look great and really make it what it is ( a sick used vintage helmet). Tonight starte and finished cleaning the inside and relining the helmet...man what a difference. Im in LOVE...definitely gonna get more of these glitter helmets hah. Only think Im trying to figure out is how to buff the helmet to a deep luster. Ive used every polish and rubbing compound I have and so far Pledge furniture polish works the best. Also wish I knew what this helmet was...not really anything to identify it and most of the tags on the liner where wore clean off...XD Anyway sorry for the long rant but here she is!!

New Look!! I had to do it.... :)

Re: New Sparkly Bastard...and Im hooked.

VonYinzer said:
Try some 1000 grit sand paper, wet, than a headlight refurbish kit...

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=8199515

Yeah I actually used some 2500 grit with plastic polish (from a headlight kit) and it really didnt do much for me. I might end up later on just sanding it with some 600 or so then clearing it...right now its fine though with all its defects. XD

looks like it has good fat flakes, good stuff.

Yeah indeed, the more I look at it the more Im thinking im just gonna leave it alone...its pretty glossy like it is. XD

It is an addiction btw... Be careful. I started out with just one old helmet... Now theres 5, and thats number is sure to grow! Hahaha

VonYinzer said:
It is an addiction btw... Be careful. I started out with just one old helmet... Now theres 5, and thats number is sure to grow! Hahaha

Oh trust me hahaha, its already got me hook, line and sinker. Im on the lookout for more. This is gonna be my helmet I take with me to Daytona this year. XD

mushroom_toy said:
Yeah indeed, the more I look at it the more Im thinking im just gonna leave it alone...its pretty glossy like it is. XD

leave it alone, minor scuffs and all. its the character of the old helmet.

I did an old fulmer sparkle helmet and I used 800 grit, then 1000 grit. I then shot it with a clear coat and buffed/polished that and it REALLY woke up the bling factor! The clear coat did the trick for sure, you may want to try that.

oh, and the helmet is real easy to disassemble, so break it all down and drill out the old rusty snaps. I replaced the snaps too and it looks like a new lid!

tWistedWheelz said:
oh, and the helmet is real easy to disassemble, so break it all down and drill out the old rusty snaps. I replaced the snaps too and it looks like a new lid!

Yeah I did that when I got it..thats why it has the snazzy new liner. :) The good thing was the snaps really have no rust on em at all, I did have to drill out the side two so I could take the ear flaps off to recover when taking the helmet apart.

Well I thought I was gonna leave the helmet alone...but then I got ahold of a paint pen....pics to come.

I actually like your pen work! It goes with the theme of the helmet a lot better than I thought it would. Nicely done!

Back
Top Bottom