VINTAGE LEATHER JACKETS:

himelator

Well it seems since my last post that things have gone quiet. Im still interested in seeing pics of your old leather jacket (before 1980) answering questions (Im a jacket expert) or seeing photos of your dad from 1940 or 1960 on his bike. If you have anything you want to contribute or send my way send it to wickedcool@fevintage.com. Also check out my blog at

http://vintageleatherjackets.blogspot.com/

where you can learn anything you want to know about real leather. Stay tuned I will be making original jackets here in Canada soon

David.wickedcool@fevintage.com

http://vintageleatherjackets.blogspot.com/

this is a little OT, but since you say youre a jacket expert..

Where can I find one of those bad ass side zipped riding jackets?

I just got a British Cycle Leathers jacket - I'm assuming from the 70's:

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

Could you tell me about zippers? Were there distinct time periods when Lightning zippers were used? How about the meaty Talon zippers? YKK?

Your British Cycle Leathers jacket is made by Brimaco I believe (British Manufacturing Company) here in Canada. Nice jackets - my favorite jackets are both Brimaco.

Tim said:
Your British Cycle Leathers jacket is made by Brimaco I believe (British Manufacturing Company) here in Canada. Nice jackets - my favorite jackets are both Brimaco.

Yeah, I really dig it. It's got a great fit and it's pretty unadorned - just my style. looks really cool with my white helmet, and grey boots.

andrew embassy said:
Yeah, I really dig it. It's got a great fit and it's pretty unadorned - just my style. looks really cool with my white helmet, and grey boots.

Lightning was around since the 1940s for sure, it is the earliest British brand of zipper. They opened a great big plant in St.Catherines making zippers which went out of business some time in the 1970s out competed by ykk. Ykk bought everybody, talon et all. They were the Japanese mega zipper that somehow ended up buying up all the big American brands after the war. How crazy is that. It is a great jacket people chase after these all the time!!

since your last thread i have been checking out the local thrift stores and what not. but being new to the scene i don't know what brands to look for or anything else to look for that matter. i know about horse hide, and i am sure weight says a lot. suffice it to say, i haven't found anything around town remotely interesting, except for a brown fringed out jacket like in easy rider. but i'll just wait to inherit my dads. i just want to know what the rare finds are.

later,

ryan

Mach-5(50) said:
since your last thread i have been checking out the local thrift stores and what not. but being new to the scene i don't know what brands to look for or anything else to look for that matter. i know about horse hide, and i am sure weight says a lot. suffice it to say, i haven't found anything around town remotely interesting, except for a brown fringed out jacket like in easy rider. but i'll just wait to inherit my dads. i just want to know what the rare finds are.

later,

ryan

What city are you in?

Here's is the last jacket I bought. I don't really know too much about it. It had been relined without any tags, meaty Talon zips, down zip on the D-pocket, cuff zips are on the outside, two studs on each shoulder strap and the belt had been cut off.

Not really much of a collector jacket, but I like it all the same.

IMG_9280.jpg

himelator said:
What city are you in?

i really can't call it a city. i live in southern oregon. Grants Pass to be specific. now if i lived in portland, i am sure it would be a much different story, but i am a few hours away. plus, the vintage scene is very trendy, so i am sure if you found one you would pay through the nose. i am waiting for someone to clean out dad's closet and send something to goodwill not knowing what it is. yeah, i know, might have better odds playing the lottery.

later,

ryan

Represto said:
Here's is the last jacket I bought. I don't really know too much about it. It had been relined without any tags, meaty Talon zips, down zip on the D-pocket, cuff zips are on the outside, two studs on each shoulder strap and the belt had been cut off.

Not really much of a collector jacket, but I like it all the same.

IMG_9280.jpg

What kind of zips are on the d pocket, looks like an awesome copy of a Harley Cycle champ, can you take a photo of the liner, also are you keeping this one or selling it?

I've never seen the right side pocket on a Champ like mine has. Like I said, I believe it to be relined...as there are no tags at all on it.

I'm not super close to it. I might sell it. I seem buy and sell a lot of jackets. I like getting new ones and sell off my old ones to finance it.

So if a jacket has all lightning zips, you can assume that it's of UK origin. Likewise Talon zips indicate a jacket from North America. All of which were made up until the 70's.

Represto said:
So if a jacket has all lightning zips, you can assume that it's of UK origin. Likewise Talon zips indicate a jacket from North America. All of which were made up until the 70's.

Well, actually my jacket (above) is all lightning zips and it was made in Canada...

Hmm...I wonder if that was intentional to follow the british theme of the jacket or if it was common. Either way, I'd say that it's safe to date the jacket no later than the 70's. No?

Represto said:
Hmm...I wonder if that was intentional to follow the british theme of the jacket or if it was common. Either way, I'd say that it's safe to date the jacket no later than the 70's. No?

Yeah - I think it makes sense, zipper is on the left hand side - Canada was (is?) a British commonwealth...

andrew embassy said:
Well, actually my jacket (above) is all lightning zips and it was made in Canada...

that is the classic seventies brimaco, the zips were made in st. catherines ont, leather was tanned at dominions and sewn in montreal.

boomshakalaka said:
this is a little OT, but since you say youre a jacket expert..

Where can I find one of those bad ass side zipped riding jackets?

which side zipped riding jackets? What brand what style do you have a pic. Is it a double rider or a cafe racer style, where do you live? Do you have a photo...you seem incredulous as to my qualifications?

Back
Top Bottom