VINTAGE LEATHER JACKETS:

I'm no expert but from what I've seen around, the early Brooks stuff was actually quite good quality. My first impression when I think of Brooks is a cheap K-Mart sneaker...so I dunno when things change. Does anyone have any insight on Brooks?

Represto said:
I'm no expert but from what I've seen around, the early Brooks stuff was actually quite good quality. My first impression when I think of Brooks is a cheap K-Mart sneaker...so I dunno when things change. Does anyone have any insight on Brooks?
brooks opened in the late sixties early seventies, the guy worked at Buco and left to open his own plant. Initially he did contract work for buco and others and then buco went out of business and Brooks filled the gap. The jackets declined in quality simultaneously to the decline in tannery leathers and cost pressures. Same as everybody else, but on the who they are not bad.

So is the rule with brooks pretty much that the early black label w/ gold script stuff is better than the later black/red label stuff?

LL said:
So is the rule with brooks pretty much that the early black label w/ gold script stuff is better than the later black/red label stuff?

Pretty much, early brooks are fantastic, later brooks are ....crap if someone will explain to me how to upload photos I will put some good brookies up

himelator said:
Pretty much, early brooks are fantastic, later brooks are ....crap if someone will explain to me how to upload photos I will put some good brookies up

Here.. this might help ya:

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=3177.msg25217#msg25217

himelator said:

I like Tinypic.com for posting photo's, it provides a bunch of fields to copy/paste. Use the one with [ img]http://bla bla bla[/img ]

On the topic of Brooks, i just bought a grey black/red label one for $30. I haven't had it delivered yet, but if it's cra it's only $30, no biggie

Ok this is going to sound terrible but Im an opinionated prick. Pesonally, unless your the dealmaker of the century..and I imagine some of you are, meaning that you can find great jackets used via craigs et al...any jacket that sells for 40-50-300-400 dollars is most likely in my concerted ...blah blah a P.O.S. I cannot tell you if every made in China or Pakistan jacket, every piece ever made in Korea is safe or good, or attractive. I can say that if I am ever caught wearing a Joe Rocket Jacket feel free to use the logo as a bullseye and pop a cap in my chest. Im about beautiful North American and European Leather from the hey day of when jackets were made with real parts, real zippers and real leather. Im not going to be able to explain otherwise...if you want to know more read my blog. I can tell you about vintage jackets..the rest of them outside of a few brands are for jackass'

Well...I wouldn't say jackass'. Maybe 'under funded' is a better term!

When I'm out roaming around the shops my to-buy list is:
- Lewis Leathers
- Belstaff Trialmaster
- Schott perfecto's...an old one star would be nice.
- Old Buco stuff. Although I've seen a few lately that were made shitty or they were fake
- Old cop coats

Or just anything that is quality made and looks good.

himelator said:
Ok this is going to sound terrible but Im an opinionated prick.

Glad to see someone here doesn't tiptoe around his convictions. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a gayass Joe Rocket or Icon jacket myself but I wouldn't pay $1000 for the priviledge of wearing a Buco either. Most of us here who are into jackets fall somewhere in the middle since we actually wear old jackets while riding old bikes. They stll need to function in case we spill and messing up a valuable old jacket worth more than our bike may be heartbreaking. So who's buying the uberexpensive jackets anyway? Certainly not anyone riding bikes. Which begs the question, what kind of bike do you ride just out of curiosity?

Also, I blame the Japanese for inflating the prices of vintage leathers and helmets.

DrJ said:
Glad to see someone here doesn't tiptoe around his convictions. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a gayass Joe Rocket or Icon jacket myself but I wouldn't pay $1000 for the priviledge of wearing a Buco either. Most of us here who are into jackets fall somewhere in the middle since we actually wear old jackets while riding old bikes. They stll need to function in case we spill and messing up a valuable old jacket worth more than our bike may be heartbreaking. So who's buying the uberexpensive jackets anyway? Certainly not anyone riding bikes. Which begs the question, what kind of bike do you ride just out of curiosity?

Also, I blame the Japanese for inflating the prices of vintage leathers and helmets.

good to diversify, most of the random blaming in the world gets put on another race starting with the letter J..

Represto said:
Well...I wouldn't say jackass'. Maybe 'under funded' is a better term!

When I'm out roaming around the shops my to-buy list is:
- Lewis Leathers
- Belstaff Trialmaster
- Schott perfecto's...an old one star would be nice.
- Old Buco stuff. Although I've seen a few lately that were made shitty or they were fake
- Old cop coats

Or just anything that is quality made and looks good.

ditto on that. nothing like finding a bargain. ... +1 what DrJ said about the $1000 jacket too.. I paid $300. for a pair of sunglasses once and my friends dog ate 'em. now THAT made me feel like a jackass.
I may have got this from one of you guys, or just a "vintage" google, but I check this place for jackets once in a while. some decent stuff, reasonably priced. http://www.vintagetrends.com/Vintage/thumbnails.asp?MC=Vintage&CA=Men&SC=Jackets%2FCoats&ST=Motorcycle%2FCafe

DrJ said:

one other thing, old jackets dont just mess up, they get scratched and develop character, if you mess it up wiping out you are most likely dead, and dont you want to die looking cool? I can tell you that I have hundreds of jackets that have spilled and they just scratch a bit, and isnt that the point?

DrJ said:

Oh, I dont ride other than my custom two wheel bicycle. I wiped out three times on a motorized two wheel unit and that was enough for me. Ive got bad motorcycle Karma and a wife...I do have good motorcycle jacket karma and a lot of jackets!

Back
Top Bottom