Time to Contribute! RD350 Cafe Build

teazer said:
As far as I'm concerned, there is no good reason to go pre-mix on the street. None. I even like the stock oil tank, but that can be replaced if need be with another tank. on the track in a race bike - Pre-mix. On the street, Oil injection.
stroker crazy said:
I'm with teazer on the pre-mix; on a street bike it can cause far more problems than it solves.

Crazy
yea your 40 year old rd has a warning light to tell you when the pump is gonna fail dosent it. NO...O well then i guess you can rely on " the pumps not working buzzer " right...

haha im thinking about going back to the pump.premix is way way safer imho but its a pain

In emailing with Twinline, it sounds like this seat is going to be way more than I thought...375 to transform the old tank into a seat, another 200 to integrate an oil tank, 150 for frenched in tail lights, and 200 to upholster a leather seat. I can shave off cost by choosing different features, but geez. This is simply not an amount I can justify. Makes me want to just get an airtech seat...

I have a few pictures of parts post-Metal Rescue that I'll get up by the end of today. With the next batch I'll make sure to take before pics.

Im running a Airtech seat on my 500 and they are nice but lil pricey ! If you order one from them plan on waiting 4 to 5 weeks to get it !
seatside.jpg

Build your own seat that rd twinline champions is just another credit card build.

@ Brad: I don't disagree, just thought it was cool that the seat/tail was made from another RD tank.

@Dreadlock: They're prices look rock bottom compared to where I'm at! On the web fiberglass just looks like it lacks integrity...and I've never dealt with it in person so now that you have one of theirs, how do you like it?

Pic 1 is steering stem, triple trees and some other parts after going through Metal Rescue bath.

Pic 2 is the same, but mostly brake parts.

Pic 3 is the two halves of the front brake caliper. After 12 hours in metal rescue bath. Any thoughts on how to deal with this mess? It wasn't seized when I took it apart, brake worked fine - maybe it's fine as is?

Attachments

• parts.jpeg
    parts.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 900
  • parts2.jpeg
    parts2.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 887
  • parts3.jpeg
    parts3.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 893
andrewlk said:
I was leaning autolube and that's what I think I'll do.

What do you guys think about electrical/ignition systems? I would like to go digital CDI like a Chinoy or MZB system, but they're $500+

My wiring harness is functional and labeled well, but it's kind of a disaster of splices, electrical tape and deteriorating insulation and grime. I want to eliminate as much as possible and run battery free - going for minimalist here, only what I need to be legal.
With the Chinoy you cant run battery free according to Ron Chinoy himself. I know of one person who made it work though. But, with a ballistic battery you can hide a 4 cell about anywhere. The reason I got the chinoy was that it replaces ALL your electrical system. I have had no problems with it. Except for any that I caused myself. I would buy it again. it was a hard pill to swallow so I waited till tax time. Oh, and John at Economy Cycle is extremely helpful when you get lost.... And you will.

S Majure said:
With the Chinoy you cant run battery free according to Ron Chinoy himself. I know of one person who made it work though. But, with a ballistic battery you can hide a 4 cell about anywhere. The reason I got the chinoy was that it replaces ALL your electrical system. I have had no problems with it. Except for any that I caused myself. I would buy it again. it was a hard pill to swallow so I waited till tax time. Oh, and John at Economy Cycle is extremely helpful when you get lost.... And you will.

Thanks for the advice - I was actually meaning to look you up and ask. I talked with Ian at Twinline a little bit ago and he recommended keeping the stock points system - how do you like yours?

Also - there's just no way I'm going to be able to do a custom seat - not at those prices, but Ian is a cool dude. I probably will go with one of his more prefab designs from the twinline shop website caferacerseatandtank.com

If you find my rd build thread there is a 12 dollar seat that i built. there is also a lot of old threads about building seats outta tanks. my rd motor is one of the wilder one on the board and i run points with no problems

@ Bradj: Is this the seat you were referring to?

What rear suspension is pictured on your RD? I'm leaning Hagon rear and Progressive fork springs up front.

Attachments

• ta3u9ara.jpg
    ta3u9ara.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 259
No thats real early in the build, this is the seat. im running rebuilt dt250 shocks

Attachments

• IMAG0933.jpg
    IMAG0933.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,167
  • IMAG0860.jpg
    IMAG0860.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,106
If your gonna stick with 34mm forks upgrade to rd400 legs they are valved better

andrewlk said:
Thanks for the advice - I was actually meaning to look you up and ask. I talked with Ian at Twinline a little bit ago and he recommended keeping the stock points system - how do you like yours?
I have only had to adjust it one time since installing it and that was when I upgraded to 30mm carbs.
As for seats, there are many manufacturers out there to choose from. Unless you are dead set on an aluminum seat, fiberglass is a viable option. check out airtech at http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/yamaz/RD3501973-79.htm and www.hotwingglass.com

I don't have Brad's Mad Skills so I had to purchase one..........Damn Irish!!!

Seats can be fabricated or bought. For an RD there are purchase options that save a ton of work for people without the time or the fab skills. Fiberglass is fine but it does fret and crack over time.

Points are OK but need to be adjusted as they wear. Electronic doesn't - it's fit and forget.

andrewlk said:
@ Brad: I don't disagree, just thought it was cool that the seat/tail was made from another RD tank.

@Dreadlock: They're prices look rock bottom compared to where I'm at! On the web fiberglass just looks like it lacks integrity...and I've never dealt with it in person so now that you have one of theirs, how do you like it?

Sorry - *Dreadrock* - my bad.

Fork spring question: 80/120 or 90/130? Brand preference?

Just ordered fork seals and trying to decide what to change. They are stock springs currently. Probably will change to one of those two Progressive brand progressive spring combinations.

I will ride solo most of the time...sort of a hooligan style rider. Generally short distances and heavy on the throttle. I want the best handling I can get while keeping my stock forks. Any recommendations for fork oil weight? (also disassembled my swingarm today and removed the stock nylon bushings. Bronze bushings on order as well.)

Find a rd400 swing arm its a 1 1/2 longer your new bushing should fit....thats all i got for ya cause im drunk

Brads right as far as the swinger goz ! They both use the same bushing and bolt right up !

As for the seat yea have to say there very nice and had no problem with fit !

Back
Top Bottom