Nortons....

Re: Norton 750

See, I told you I would yielded to temptation and just buy crap that I did not need.
3EE76873-6233-47CE-B8F8-9E04FAA6BBB4_zpssjnuec96.jpg

My plan is to tackle the Isolastics this week.
Still searching for some DIY posts about the job.
I have the factory manual, but some times reading what someone that just did the job has to say is very helpful.

Well back at it!
Ever have one of those days at work when your thoughts go from “I need a vacations” to searching for jobs? Thankfully most of the day was saved by a few hours in the garage.

Started with the front isolastics. Came off the motor very easy, I was thrilled about that.
68F7D808-D06F-423A-A692-AF5E88081BF6_zpsltony8gh.jpg

As you can see these were in desperate need of replacement.
04226EA6-9F44-4601-BFED-6194A018FA72_zpswlmed7g4.jpg

Nice new parts to install. And even better because these are an upgrade. I bought the kit that lets you install the latter islolastics that are adjustable rather than the old style that uses shims.
CDDB2063-8824-4888-B98B-5FA2ACE73501_zpscimeasyc.jpg

C906AF1D-F870-4F74-80DB-B591D5BBF721_zpsad2rfyue.jpg

Didn’t reinstall them yet because I ended up painting the housing. While I can deal with some “patina” I can’t deal with rust and peeling paint. I expect the install to be a breeze.

Rear is harder to get to. Still unclear if I should just pull the whole “power unit” from the bike or if I can just disconnect the cradle some how? I am sure it is laid out in the factory manual, but there are very few pictures, and me no reads so wellls…..lol
I did remove the Z plates to gain access. Also because I plan to clean them up.
122E96F2-953E-40E1-A39A-A7C82333C2AF_zpsp1lsw7yg.jpg

DAE70FC8-CF7E-4A4B-8B18-9713F9EC90B8_zpshyzq5xkv.jpg

18514FF2-6B20-46A0-8193-55CAA609D7EE_zpskf3k96ly.jpg

CFDF610F-8C2B-4DCF-90D8-4CA2575EE45E_zps3w8f9url.jpg

C1A5D4A1-80B3-44DD-A986-05FF9C45799F_zps3ue5osco.jpg

My buddy was busting my stones wanting to know why I was putting so much effort and money into a bike that was in such bad shape. Well he couldn’t see through the barn dust, so I showed him how well stuff is cleaning up.
ABEBE60E-4434-49F1-B0FF-E0A5DB9ADE03_zpsqgfezsfd.jpg

Still cannot get the caliper apart. Am I correct in assuming that it is normal direction threading? Will try some heat this weekend when I am back in the shop. I have the correct tool, but I am worried about stripping it.
1BC99006-0077-451E-94DD-4F64640F89C8_zpsksump0so.jpg

BB850BEF-743F-4F2C-8219-B81422AB3099_zpsqasggzhm.jpg

Unsure how much of a polish I will put on these. But I do think they will clean up well enough to keep me from looking at those cool billet ones….
4C4FEB21-24ED-4F25-A274-5999DA74DB01_zpsvtu8hi7b.jpg

surffly said:
Unsure how much of a polish I will put on these. But I do think they will clean up well enough to keep me from looking at those cool billet ones….

That's a pretty cool project. Don't put billet on there. I'll have to hurt you.

Norton Z-plates are so cool, especially when polished.

I want to get rid of those shims as well and look forward to seeing your next update. I have to wait until I finish my RD350 and GT500 before I can get started on mine. What kind of handle bars are you going to use? Are you going to upgrade the brakes or ignition?

CarbsAndCylinders said:
Norton Z-plates are so cool, especially when polished.

I want to get rid of those shims as well and look forward to seeing your next update. I have to wait until I finish my RD350 and GT500 before I can get started on mine. What kind of handle bars are you going to use? Are you going to upgrade the brakes or ignition?

Dunstal clip ons.
For brakes I will either run the stock rotor with upgraded (AP) caliper or the 14 inch full floating set up I posted about.

Luv clip ons. I bought an Interstate tank and I am hoping the clip ons will work with it.

Modern pads and braided lines alone should improve the brakes. My Water Buffalo has braided lines though and the dual discs are still crap, not sure what pads are on it.

The parts are available to fix all the problems these girls have, cept maybe the leaking oil but that's how you tell you have oil in her.

What diameter of pipes do you have?

I had an opportunity to buy a 71 Norton for my first bike when I was a teenager and I turned it down, still regret that. It had clip ons, Dunstall front fender and exhausts and was fully rebuilt, Damn!

I have the rearsets, so things actually work the way they should.
I will run a braided line and have one made up once I decide what way to go. The 14in kit was an impulse buy and WAY to cheap not to pick up.

Meh, mine don't leak any oil.....

I need a screen for my dunstal fairing and then it goes back on the bike.

Don't know what size pipes I have.
I think they are stock headers to dunstal decibel cans.

Nice weekend in the garage, but I will start by saying that I HATE Norton Isolastics.
All started with the front mount. Came out easy and I thought that I was off to a nice start.
Laid out the parts for a nice picture to show the internets that work was being done.
133EF5E9-A293-4A0E-B598-9B079023828E_zps6zhm85y5.jpg

Then I saw that the new rubber bushings had a larger OD then the ID of the housing. This was not a huge surprise because the paperwork I got with the kit said this would happen. It said that I should bevel the edge a bit and use some grease to slide it in. What it didn’t say was that you also needed to curse and swear for two hours at it!
All was good though, some creative uses of hose clamps saved the day and the front isolastic was ready to reinstall.
7401A94A-91F7-4247-91A8-DB98C19776ED_zpsnk3g5qod.jpg

Took some wiggling to get back on the motor, but it is now installed. Probably could use an in person lesson for how to adjust these properly because I don’t fully understand the system yet.
A2B25727-30F6-4E93-9977-9EBAE7D2204D_zpsp0ricsu8.jpg

Really should clean that motor a bit better.

The real issue came with the rare isolastic. It is extra silly stupid frozen. First issue was that the “spacer” was stuck on the shaft. No amount of beating would let it budge.
A0547E6A-7454-4CB8-9531-E0C679786BDB_zps2s1x4pel.jpg

I cut some of the spacer to free it up. Both sides needed this. No pictures because the frustration level was mounting. After I got the spacers freed up I found that the metal part of the rubber bushing was frozen to the shaft! Next move it to just cut the shaft so that I can tip the motor forward and slide everything out of the freaking mount.
Spent two days in the garage beating and generally pissed.
I think Geeto got at least one “come here and take this pile of junk” text.
The real straw was when I decided to just remove the whole power unit. I figured this would give me better access, this was also when I learned that the primary cover has all of the oil behind it……
2B87FBE3-CBAF-4678-9923-1C02C28AF87B_zpspxuqsrdf.jpg

I just started drinking at that point.

Have already found a new replacement shaft and will be ordering it this morning, so all is good now.
Did actually get a lot of small things done on the bike and overall had a good weekend wrenching.
More on the positive stuff latter.

What a drag, all that time for what I would have expected would be a simple thing. I wonder why they would not include a proper fitting bushing if they knew it might not fit and if is this due to loose manufacturing tolerances of the housing or the bushing.

Got to buy a new tool!
Harbor freight had a sale AND a 20% off coupon….go figure.
Well I couldn’t pass it up. Bought the blasting cabinet and some glass beads. I went glass to keep the dust down in the shop and because I don’t do a tone of REALLY rusty stuff. So far the blaster works just fine for what I need.
9FDB122B-A224-4DB3-8579-8F1BE4820D48_zpsqeh3emp9.jpg

Got one job crossed off the list, fork rebuild.
31589F3C-4EEF-4DE9-85B2-0136AFFD3ED4_zpsqz1zczvr.jpg

In keeping with the idea of comparing to the same job on a Honda CB750 I will say that the Norton is MUCH easier and a fair bit cheaper! Very happy about that.
Both forks had some old fluid in them. I need to read the manual and search the web for the amount and type of fluid I should refill them with though.
5A96EE32-CDEF-4E4C-9948-C23AF4D9E7E9_zpsyjpgmhbg.jpg

Seems that one seal had been leaking at some point and the previous owner didn’t want to change it.
755A0E63-D916-483C-B2A7-2196CF0BEE91_zpsfsqf5qja.jpg

Replaced the seals, as well as the upper and lower bushings. Also installed new dust seal caps. Job went extremely smoothly, so that gets chalked up to a win. Was really nice to have something work, rather than spend the rest of the day beating my head against the wall with the rear isolastic.

The Norton looks like it's coming along nicely. What size compressor are you running with your cabinet?

I have always heard people in the Honda world talk about the quality of the chrome plating on the fenders or wheels. From personal experience I can tell you that I have cleaned some bikes that have been stored for decades to look near new. Always been impressed by how much can be brought back. I have also always heard stories of the poor quality of the British chrome.
The rims on my 850 were fairly dirty and have some pits.
C4AB621D-2C26-4E52-A53F-56EC91AD4527_zps5uue7i8y.jpg

I wet some steel wool with simple green and scrub.
Cleaned up fairly well.
1E728A17-93F0-4A83-846B-11DDEA68DB29_zpsoyfkesis.jpg

Rear wheel looks almost new now! Front wheel, not so much. Nothing can fix what decades of time spend sunk into the ground harms. There is a 4 inch section that the chrome has been removed on. Does not seem to have compromised the wheel in any way. I might just leave it alone for now as the bike will live outside anyway. But I also might keep my eye out for a nice set of alloy hoops.

While the front wheel was off I mounted the new 14 inch floating rotor. This thing is HUGE. Look at the stock rotor on top of it! Honestly I am not sure if I will end up using this rotor right now. Going to see if I can find someone to resurface the stock rotor.
28425089-5D8F-44C7-AD78-07A67DE19D1C_zpspzd6igqi.jpg

I have three options for the front brake right now.
1-Resurface the stock rotor and rebuild the stock caliper. Will upgrade the line to a braided one.
2-Resurface the stock rotor and install one of the caliper brackets that I have. The bracket works with the stock rotor and mounts an AP caliper or a latter Triumph unit.
3-The full 14 inch monster BBK.

Other thing is that if I use the non stock caliper I will have to just the rear fender stay down.
Not really a deal breaker at all, just something to do.
The rotor does kinda look silly.
86b1260cf0ca5a2dee946353d883a9e6_zpsvbd2wx7m.jpg

Have to order some Avons and fight the urge to polish the fork legs….

I think that rotor looks good on there but if you are going for more of a "period" look i would grind down your existing rotor

Back
Top Bottom