Project Grom Reaper: 80cc Cafe

g3ssexy

Started work on a new build. Picked up an 87 kx80 (mainly for a parts engine) for my ar80 build. Came as pictured and with an extra engine.
4xc8QBk.jpg

I wanted to turn it into a street only bike, so the long travel forks and mismatched wheel sizes needed to go. Pulled the front end off and sold it. I installed some kz200 forks and triple tree onto it. Was planning on keeping the front 17" rim and disc, and fitting a 17" rear spoked wheel as well, so i installed a kz200 rear wheel. I also had an rd60 tank and seat pan laying around, so figured i'd try to incorporate those as well. I pulled out the stock engine and dropped in a 91-00 kx80 engine in it's place. Here is a pic of it mocked up.
ciZXxo5.jpg

Already it was looking more like what i had pictured, but something was still funky with the front end. I decided to start working elsewhere on the bike while i thought about the front end. Rebuilt the rear shock and powdercoated the spring. I also cut some stock mounts off and cut the rear subframe as is was going to need to be modified. I also mocked up some rearsets.
XwZ4GwQ.jpg

XlfnZAT.jpg

jXYsy1A.jpg

I happened across a sachs madass 125 that was being parted out, so i decided to try using the front end and wheels off of that. Front end went on with just needing a new lower bearing, and rear wheel fit with no modifications at all!
nykvQHC.jpg

Starting to look a lot more like how i pictured it:
NcLNjdg.jpg

Installed some adjustable fork ears and a headlight. Also grabbed some german made telefix clipons. I installed the stock pipe for the time being just to see how it looks. Will probably run it for a little while while i make a low pipe for it.
JFhnhAh.jpg

Lastly i found this stewert warner 12k rpm analog tach i'm hoping to use. I've never seen another one like this. If it's worth some money, i might sell and just run a trailtech vapor.
EMW8ZSq.jpg

Re: Project Grom Killer: 80cc Cafe

Damn you make some nice smokers with those motors. Watching this one for sure.

thanks for the compliments guys. fatleon, the rd60 tank is one of my favorites as well (along with the ar80, and suzuki stinger tank) hence why i held onto it for something special. i picked up some graves rearsets recently, but there probably won't be much progress on this build until the weather warms up a little bit. highs have been below freezing for the past 3 months. ha

i've got maybe 6 other kx80 engines if anyone wants one for a project. haha. also have a rm125 engine. just looking for a donor street frame to cram it in.

heat wave hit today. hit 60 degrees! so was able to get some work done on it tonight. it's looking like it's going to be in the high 40's low 50's for the rest of the week, so i should be able to get a little more progress done to in the next few days as well.

managed to make and weld in some mounts for the graves brand rearsets (they are stupid adjustable) and snap a really crappy pic
YG9cLry.jpg

of course my phone died right after that... but i was also able to fully mock up the rear subframe and tack weld everything in place. looking really good. i'll snap some pics next time i'm out there working on it. next up is making mounts for the seat pan and tank.

Me and some friends had a cr500 motor in an fz600 back a few days and I can tell you how fun this will be, but you will know soon enough.

Gearing is gonna be a series of tests and it would be good to have a spare rear wheel on hand for that and to do easy swaps for aggressive or cruiser days... When you want to go fast, you will have to push off the line or learn to change clutches on the fly.

Go here: and get the biggest small cap rad you can... more surface is more important then volume to a point until drag is an issue ;D.

https://www.anplumbing.com/extras/earls-coolers.html

Must post high speed youtube passes :eek: :eek:

P.S. That pipe is gonna give you what I call corner hit (if you raced 80's you know) and you want smooth power so find an FMF SST and cut the sphincter out: and weld in a 3/4" straight tube 6-8" to beer can baffle loose packed ;)

Attachments

• FMF.JPG
    FMF.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,830

gearing should be pretty much the same as my ar80 i would think.

Is there any issues riding it on the road? Not familiar with your laws. Over here in Sweden it would be a big no no unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eleganten, why wouldn't you be able to ride it on the road? it shouldn't be a problem where i'm living.
will probably be doing a little more work on it within the next few days, but did take a snap of the overall progress of the rearsets mounted and the subframe almost all tacked up.
4jgIsx9.jpg

Project Grom Killer: 80cc Cafe

Strict rules. Since it's a motocross bike it's not registered to go on the road and can't be either unless you build it like a custom vehicle and what not. Mopeds are only allowed to have 50cc engines so that's out of the question. Off course I could build something like it and ride it but it's not worth the problems with the law and insurance companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

got the subframe fully welded up. working on the rear tank mount. seat mounts will be next.
Ir4pT3P.jpg

Back
Top Bottom