What's your trade?

DohcBikes said:
Jesus.

Electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity are 2 completely different things folks.

Brass isn't very good at either.

Diamond. Make the head out of diamond. :eek:

Was that a random rant?

The guy casts brass parts, and it was a very off the wall suggestion to make a set of heads, the rest was satire from there... being a genius must be hard at times eh D?

I'm not an expert at much, but ceramics is my trade and as such I've been building kilns, electric and gas, for over 20 years. Electric conductivity and thermal conductivity are very related. When you have the time, look up Wiedemann-Franz Law. It is the very thing that makes a thermocouple work and how you get a digital reading from one.

deviant said:
I'm not an expert at much, but ceramics is my trade and as such I've been building kilns, electric and gas, for over 20 years. Electric conductivity and thermal conductivity are very related. When you have the time, look up Wiedemann-Franz Law. It is the very thing that makes a thermocouple work and how you get a digital reading from one.
I'm related to my sister.

DohcBikes said:
Jesus.

Electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity are 2 completely different things folks.

Brass isn't very good at either.

Diamond. Make the head out of diamond. :eek:
You sound like my girlfriend. Diamond this, diamond that. Nah.

Here's a lesson for ya- Thermal conductivity of a metal is directly proportional to Electric conductivity. Raising the temperature of a metal increases thermal conductivity while decreasing electric conductivity. That is Wiedemann-Franz Law. Qualitatively, this relationship is based upon the fact that the heat and electrical transport both involve the free electrons in the metal.

and the shit hit the fan after WW2 they had so much aluminum to scrap from airplanes n shit cut em up,melt it down and they made all kinds of shit like camping trailers,trailer park trailers and aluminum siding and umm what was ..that .. oh yeah solid aluminum electrical wire for construction industry lotsa new houses being built !@! it was cheap ,light, easy to form by god it's perfect we'll make a million!!

then there is the rest of the story NEXT somebody finish it
and it is related directly to deviants post but also it involves a 3rd physical property

xb33bsa said:
lotsa new houses being built !@! it was cheap ,light, easy to form by god it's perfect we'll make a million!!

then there is the rest of the story NEXT somebody finish it
and it is related directly to deviants post but also it involves a 3rd physical property

Resistivity/Ground/Short/Fire = house burn down died from electrical panel explosion... Shit goes poof real fast. Banned for residential and most commercial plugload and direct wire use.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Resistivity/Ground/Short/Fire = house burn down died from electrical panel explosion... Shit goes poof real fast. Banned for residential and most commercial plugload and direct wire use.
yep the aluminum has good conductivity and good heat transfer but it also has a high coeficient of thermal expansion 2x that of steel and it is soft when hot....the way i understand it is the panel connections a simple screw clamp on the wire every time it gets warnm just from normal load it grows enough to deform and re-forms the wire so it is looser for the next heat cycle and it snowballs till overheating

yes that to as soon as the connection starting getting loose the oxide starts to insulate the connection which creates more heat from resistance which creates more expansion a helluva cascading effect :( :eek:

Definitely trade related for me. Not many convos around here stay on track anyway, do they? Par for the course.

I build these...

Attachments

• sl750_0.jpg
    sl750_0.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 185
You can most likely buy those for scrap cost in the US Coal is like ebola here... political.

I'm in the US and we just sold four of them. Don't belive everything ya read. The industry is dying, but it's got a few years left. ;)

Back
Top Bottom