SR250 Swingarm Chopper

jbwpg

New to this site and glad to see it has a section for this bike category! Winter here in the middle of Canada is long as hell and very cold (down to -45 C) so a winter project is neccesary in order to stay sane. Being my first project bike I went with something cheap small and simple and picked up a little 1980 SR250. So far Ive pretty much redone and changed everything, most drastic modification being a 5" swingarm stretch which lowered the bike, added some degrees to the front rake and really changed the bikes look, I also painted everything and am in the proccess of fabbing a seat and wiring, I'll update the pics as I go but heres some pics of my current work.

Not my pic but exactly how I bought the bike
exciter1.jpg

And how its sitting right now
IMG-20110304-00138-1.jpg

IMG-20110304-00140.jpg

Tank and fender - color sanding and clear yet to be done
IMG-20110303-00134.jpg

IMG-20110312-00142.jpg

Fuck that makes the one I built last year look like shit! Take my advice and ditch the bs38 carb for a vm series.

Finally finished up the seat this week. Made a fiberglass pan to fit nice and close to the frame and reinforced it with a steel skeleton that also enables me to fasten it to the frame and fender.

IMG-20110408-00172.jpg

Using a few different thicknesses of foam, some leather grain vinyl and with the help of my sis and her machine wrapped it up.

IMG-20110408-00173.jpg

IMG-20110408-00179.jpg

Took a few pics of the bike and how shes sitting now, just have to finish the wiring, bolt everything down good, and she'll be thumping!

IMG-20110409-00182.jpg

IMG-20110409-00181.jpg

And here she is with my other baby, 62 Mercury Monterey 352

Winnipeg-20110409-00193.jpg

beersnchicken said:
Thanks for the compliments guys.

One more coming your way: Looks killer mang!

Question:

On the scallops on the side of your tank could you please briefly describe the process? Really just want to know about the masking and spraying of the pattern sequence, thanks!

For the scallops I cut out a zig zag pattern on a sheet of construction paper and once positioned on the tank made light passes across the paper up towards the zigzagged edge with a black rattle can (being careful to not go too heavy near the edge). then you just move the sheet down and over one row and repeat.

A little tricky to explain but just mess with some test panels and Im sure youll get the hang of it....

Yep, makes perfect sense, I just wanted to know how you masked the "just sprayed" sections: asked and answered, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom