Honda CB200 74' cafe/brat Australia

lukeglasso

Hello to all and would like to introduce myself as another inheritor of a humble Honda CB200.

I managed to pick this little beauty up for $600 @ 99% complete just requiring some plugs and a few other little things to get her going (apparently). I wish to post my build as a timeline and would be very thankful to have your own opinions, experiences and advice to re-build into a Cafe Racer/Brat ish style bike. I have a build in my head and cycling on the television in my cave/workshop to motivate the build. I will put pictures of what I want to achieve.

About me: Well I dont come from a mechanical background but like to think my hands can make change. Having renovated a house and always completed modications on cars, vans and boats my next venture is this. Im am a nurse on the Gold Coast, QLD, Australia.

The build will be slow due to full-time working. Im giving myself approximately 12months with complete overhaul and engine rebuild. I want to do it right the first time and giving myself a budget over this time period of around $4000 in modifications.

Hopefully like all projects I come in under cost and time. Fingers crossed. Wish me luck :)

Attachments

• 20140908_170256_HDR_resized.jpg
    20140908_170256_HDR_resized.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 578
  • 20140908_170305_HDR_resized.jpg
    20140908_170305_HDR_resized.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 532
  • 20140908_170329_HDR_resized.jpg
    20140908_170329_HDR_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 476
Re: Honda CB200 build

So I have had the bike for nearly 1 week and have moved it down into my workshop/brew cave where the project will be undertaken. Some progress so far

Pictures explains themselves. Fun fun!

Attachments

• 2014-09-11 07.54.02 1_resized.jpg
    2014-09-11 07.54.02 1_resized.jpg
    801.8 KB · Views: 485
  • 20140909_161605_HDR_resized.jpg
    20140909_161605_HDR_resized.jpg
    1,009 KB · Views: 605
  • 20140910_092442_HDR_resized.jpg
    20140910_092442_HDR_resized.jpg
    794.8 KB · Views: 462

So far my thoughts.

1. Am removing the rear attached fender.
2. I want to replace the seating frame and replace with tubing to match the the underbelly framing. Similiar to the picture below. I have seen tube kits but are very expensive. Will try my local steel shop and compare prices kit vs local. Aim is the 3rd picture with the kick.

From peoples experience has anybody done this to the cb200 frame? I am not modifying the motor bracket region only the upper suspension mounts.

Attachments

• 20140912_103723_HDR_resized.jpg
    20140912_103723_HDR_resized.jpg
    738.6 KB · Views: 460

Welcome to DTT! It looks like you found a cool, much loved 200 (60k miles :eek:). I like the solo seat on there, can't say I've seen that before on one of these. However, I understand your desire to clean the look up. Honda's stamped steel frames are quite unpleasant to look at.

I didn't get this from your initial post but did you get the bike running yet? If not, I would highly encourage you to do so before tearing into it. Putting a lot of time and money into the frame, suspension, and aesthetics only to end up not being able to ride because the motor is shot is a real buzzkill. Ask me how I know...

EDIT: Disregard the above. I see in your photos that the engine has already been pulled. Carry on then!

Thanks BarnBurner. Isnt the solo seat a something, I have not seen it either.

I have not had the engine running as yet myself but was thinking of pulling down to the frame, reinstalling with bare necessities including the motor and see if she would fire up prior to the next stage. Just want to get all the junk out of the way. But this step I probably could have skipped prior to disassembling your are right :/

The inside the fuel tank looked horrible. Some very heavy corrosion. I googled a heavy corrosion lifter and found a product call deox-c. From what I understand I would fill the tank to the top and leave overnight. Once clean and looking shiny (hopefully), leave some fuel in it. I have read that another option is electrolyses, but I do not understand that procedure.

Attachments

• 20140913_091427_HDR_resized.jpg
    20140913_091427_HDR_resized.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 433
  • 20140913_091434_HDR_resized.jpg
    20140913_091434_HDR_resized.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 413
  • 20140913_091446_HDR_resized.jpg
    20140913_091446_HDR_resized.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 456

I haven't used the Deox-c yet as awaiting for others opinions.

Removed the rear splash guard and the lower fork assembly. Frame I feel is now ready to measure up for the seat loop modification.

Attachments

• 20140913_122217_HDR_resized.jpg
    20140913_122217_HDR_resized.jpg
    893.1 KB · Views: 422
  • 20140913_122337_HDR_resized.jpg
    20140913_122337_HDR_resized.jpg
    834.5 KB · Views: 410

First off, warm welcome to you!

Going forward, I would strongly strongly recommend reading every page of Texasstar and Zeke's CB200 Lucky build and CB175 build. These guys about have it down pat as far as performance modifications go. There are a lot of local experts around here regarding these little twins. I don't consider myself one of them at all but I will help you where I can because my memory is fresh from my 175 build.

Victoria 175 Build

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=52299.1755

Lucky 200 Build

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45872.1765

Also, your budget is quite nice. I ended up blowing past your budget on my build because I made some stupid mistakes I had to do over...a few times.

You're in for a fun little scoot.

And I second BarnBurner....60k miles??

Also, your "shop" is probably the most unique I've seen on here so far :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'day 1sttimer and thanks for your comments :)

I have skipped through Zeke's post previously, now that you mention it I will thoroughly go through them and use as major reference, thankyou.

As for my budget, im being realistic. If I go over it no biggie but 4k sounds somewhere sweet as a target. And being Aussie, that's 60'000kms's :)

Wife and I recently purchased this house, one key element to the buy was the locked door access under the house! I gutted, made the benches and has since been my hideaway to brew many beer recipes over our rather minor 18 degree winter days. Now it doubles as my workshop build area.

Btw, Have you got a link or pictures of your build?

lukeglasso said:
G'day 1sttimer and thanks for your comments :)

I have skipped through Zeke's post previously, now that you mention it I will thoroughly go through them and use as major reference, thankyou.

As for my budget, im being realistic. If I go over it no biggie but 4k sounds somewhere sweet as a target. And being Aussie, that's 60'000kms's :)

Wife and I recently purchased this house, one key element to the buy was the locked door access under the house! I gutted, made the benches and has since been my hideaway to brew many beer recipes over our rather minor 18 degree winter days. Now it doubles as my workshop build area.

Btw, Have you got a link or pictures of your build?

Sure thing ;) that is probably the best man cave ever. Buried in the ground, dim lighting, beer. Motorcycle. Ha!

I'd like to call mine "complete" but I need a new stator and some tuning.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=53893.1335

Reading now mate, im seriously going to learn one hell of alot from your build, looks incredible and I love your colour scheme.

One step at a time. Its exciting and I just want to pull it down, check it, clean it and rebuild it but I need some self control so deep breathes and lots of reading.

In order of what I think my approach should be. I need clear timelines for myself otherwise I get distracted.

1. Strip, disassemble, set the motor aside (should I drain the oil now or leave till ready which could be 2-3months or any prep for the bench)
2. Mod the frame as discussed earlier along with seat pan, battery box and indicator tabs. Cleaning all reusable parts i.e tank, forks, wheels, nuts and bolts, mounts.
3. Powder-coat/dip items.
4. Assemble to rolling chassis
5. Commence on motor rebuild
6. Electronics
7. ????

This is very brief with many steps in between. I will be looking forward to how you approached your build order.

lukeglasso said:
Reading now mate, im seriously going to learn one hell of alot from your build, looks incredible and I love your colour scheme.

One step at a time. Its exciting and I just want to pull it down, check it, clean it and rebuild it but I need some self control so deep breathes and lots of reading.

In order of what I think my approach should be. I need clear timelines for myself otherwise I get distracted.

1. Strip, disassemble, set the motor aside (should I drain the oil now or leave till ready which could be 2-3months or any prep for the bench)
2. Mod the frame as discussed earlier along with seat pan, battery box and indicator tabs. Cleaning all reusable parts i.e tank, forks, wheels, nuts and bolts, mounts.
3. Powder-coat/dip items.
4. Assemble to rolling chassis
5. Commence on motor rebuild
6. Electronics
7. ????

This is very brief with many steps in between. I will be looking forward to how you approached your build order.

Well...I 100% agree with Barnburner. The best way to go about it would be to get it running. I will tell you that as it pertains to bike knowledge, I know about .00001% as much as a lot of guys on here, but for what it's worth this would be what I would have done differently if I could do it over:

Please note this is JUST MY OPINION AND LEARNING EXPERIENCE. This is YOUR bike. Do with it exactly what you want to do. Just make it safe.

1. I would have gotten the exhaust and carb setup I was going to end up with on the bike and running well before I tore down my bike to clean and make it pretty.

2. I would have kept that welded in mud guard and not cut it out. The first time to go through a mud puddle and throw crap up onto your fresh engine or throw debris through your nicely machined velocity stacks into your engine... Arggggg ... Just my opinion.

3. I wouldn't paint my engine if I did it again. If you can find Marvel Mystery Oil in Australia, buy a few quarts and run it down and keep as is, save maybe a top end rebuild.

4. I would not crack the transmission cases if everything works and shifts smoothly. Do a top end rebuild all you want but if you don't have to get into the bottom end, don't. It will just over complicate things.

UNLESS YOURE DYING TO LEARN TO DO IT AND THEN BY ALL MEANS GO FOR IT.

Practically there is no reason to.

5. For durability, I would powdercoat everything you aren't planning on keeping bare. I used some duplicolor caliper paint to lessen the cost and I should have just had everything powder coated. After all, it's all apart anyway.

Just my opinion... And EVERYONE has one :)

Greyson

lukeglasso said:

You and I may be a lot alike. I am very OCD and it's very hard for me to see a speck of dirt or mud and not want to clean it. Eventually you will realize that your bike will be on the road and dirty. And it's going to drive you crazy ;)

Just started my next project and it's going to be 100% functional haha.

Thanks Grey

Thats some great direction right there. I think I will go with rebuilding the components to get her going prior to my next step as mentioned by Barnburner. That way I get a small inkling of what the future holds.

As for the motor, I was going to completely rebuild but if its running and Im not overly keen to get more power out of it why! This I can work out now rather then later.

As for the splash guard, im hoping this to be a leisure rider rather then a commuter so hopefully the risk of puddles and dirt is rather minor. I will dwell on your comment though and think about it. Maybe a removable one that can come off and on depending on location and weather.

Paints for the engine we will revisit this as I want it black, only the stator and clutch cover chromed. Carbi's will be natural with chromed links.

Very good points taken. Excited to see your next build ;)

p.s OCD or perfectionist?

lukeglasso said:
Thanks Grey

Thats some great direction right there. I think I will go with rebuilding the components to get her going prior to my next step as mentioned by Barnburner. That way I get a small inkling of what the future holds.

As for the motor, I was going to completely rebuild but if its running and Im not overly keen to get more power out of it why! This I can work out now rather then later.

As for the splash guard, im hoping this to be a leisure rider rather then a commuter so hopefully the risk of puddles and dirt is rather minor. I will dwell on your comment though and think about it. Maybe a removable one that can come off and on depending on location and weather.

Paints for the engine we will revisit this as I want it black, only the stator and clutch cover chromed. Carbi's will be natural with chromed links.

Very good points taken. Excited to see your next build ;)

p.s OCD or perfectionist?

Oh man, good question. I'm going to go with OCD (this coming from my entire family who knows me).

One more thing. Great score on the bike. I bought mine for $600 bucks and it was a mess.

FYI many CB175/CL175/CB200/CL200 parts are the same so you can broaden your search for parts that way.

Haha love it. I think OCD and perfection go hand in hand and by looking at your build I see both :)

Thanks for the tip with the parts, that certainly will help.

So im mounting the motor back into the frame and want to ask the community what the bare essential needed to kick over the motor? Some fuel in the tank, spark plugs connected to a battery, exhausts and carbi's attached. Should be able to kick it over if everything is ok right?

Newbie question I know, but in my field no question is the wrong alternative. Thanks

So today I filled the tank with the Deox-c solution. Being 11L tank I added 550-600grams of dissolved powered. Can instantly see the solution bubbling at the corrosion and water turning yellow in about 20mins. And no, there was no fuel in the tank at all. Due to the heavy corrosion I will leave this for 3 days with some shaking during that period.

Attachments

• 20140914_113009_HDR_resized.jpg
    20140914_113009_HDR_resized.jpg
    907.3 KB · Views: 343

lukeglasso said:
Haha love it. I think OCD and perfection go hand in hand and by looking at your build I see both :)

Thanks for the tip with the parts, that certainly will help.

So im mounting the motor back into the frame and want to ask the community what the bare essential needed to kick over the motor? Some fuel in the tank, spark plugs connected to a battery, exhausts and carbi's attached. Should be able to kick it over if everything is ok right?

Newbie question I know, but in my field no question is the wrong alternative. Thanks

Yeah, that and if ignition to make the spark. So wiring harness goes back on along with coils with leads to the plugs. Don't need headlight and all that wired up.

Just for my information. To access the stator, does it involve cracking the lower case or just take off the inner plate. My wires were destroyed and think I can just replace/solder up the stator circuit.

I inspected the wiring loom tonight after dwelling at work that my stator wire was in dire need of replacement. Once home I saw I have 4 inches of wire from the case which is amble for repair.....phew :)

As for the rest of the loom, well its a mess so really I would like to replace the whole thing along with a new ignition coil from a shop hear in Oz:

http://www.shop.modernmotorcyclecompany.com.au/collections/electrical/products/ignition-coil-dual-output-12-volt

Along with a new starter solenoid and a combined regulator/rectifier. Any suggestions on a wiring loom plus these items?

lukeglasso said:
I inspected the wiring loom tonight after dwelling at work that my stator wire was in dire need of replacement. Once home I saw I have 4 inches of wire from the case which is amble for repair.....phew :)

As for the rest of the loom, well its a mess so really I would like to replace the whole thing along with a new ignition coil from a shop hear in Oz:

http://www.shop.modernmotorcyclecompany.com.au/collections/electrical/products/ignition-coil-dual-output-12-volt

Along with a new starter solenoid and a combined regulator/rectifier. Any suggestions on a wiring loom plus these items?

For the harness, highly recommend Matt at SparckMoto. He sells a reg/rect as well for pretty cheap. Like $25 bucks or something.

I have a custom harness from him on my bike and it's awesome. Perfect for a simplified cafe.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=47580.0

As for the stator, I would test it first. If it's not top notch I would just replace it. Google "Ricks Stator". He makes a direct re manufactured bolt on.

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com

As for the coil, you can go stock if you want but the Dyna DC-7 kit can be had for $80 on ebay and includes new leads and caps and is a nice upgrade.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/400547857830?nav=SEARCH

lukeglasso said:
Just for my information. To access the stator, does it involve cracking the lower case or just take off the inner plate. My wires were destroyed and think I can just replace/solder up the stator circuit.

You just remove the left engine cover. Not just the stator cover. Stator cover allows you to see the stator but you have to take the whole left cover off to remove it. It's just 3 bolts to get it off.

You don't have to split the cases for any reason unless your bike doesn't kick over with the kickstart or your transmission doesn't shift gears. If both those things check out I would leave the upper and lower cases together.

Back
Top Bottom