Drug Testing....where do you stand?

tWistedWheelz

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
I am NOTasking how you feel about drugs, if you like drugs, use drugs, sell drugs, or hate drugs. What I want to know is how you feel about your employer drug testing you! Do you approve or disapprove and why? What are your thoughts, concerns, or points on the subject? Please explain!

Here are my thoughts on the subject:

I think it is a useful tool for hiring and insurance purposes and I understand completely why it has to be done for those purposes. However in the case of the Drug THC (marijuana) I am opposed to the employer testing for this substance. I understand it is a controlled substance and that means as a law-abiding citizen you should not have THC in your system. The reason that I appose this testing is due to the fact that just because you test positive for THC does not mean you are currently under the influence of the drug! What I do on my own time should be my business and as long as I do my job with no failure then it should not be my employers business what I do on my time. If I came to work stoned is one thing, but after I get off if I want a bong and a waffle, that should be fine! I don't come to work drunk, but quite often after work I get a little inebriated, and that’s OK because as long as I get a full nights rest and drink a few glasses of water I won't fail a drug test the next day. THC can remain traceable in urine for up to 45 days! I could fly to Amsterdam for vacation, get as high as I want legally, come home and get tested a week after returning to work and loose my job! I think the testing of THC is BS and should not be used as a viable test until they can develop a way to tell if you are currently under the influence (like if you stare deep into your monitor while its on screen saver and devour a whole bag of nacho Doritos and drinking gallons of red Kool-aid)!

So now that I am done ranting, what are your thoughts?

P.S. I did not loose my job or even come close, this discussion was brought up by some coworkers and I could not speak my mind to them or they would all think I am just a pothead! I don’t really smoke any more due to this kind of testing, if I could though... ;D

personally i dont do drugs, smoke or even drink alcohol.

my friend smokes weed though, and i remember he was talking about something called a whizzenator. its a fake penis you put in your underwear incase someone has to watch you take a drug test.

even though i dont do drugs, id buy a black whizzenator just for fun to take the drug test

yeah ill go with that one.

if you got a job and do it well, in some cases (mostly weed) who cares. some guys i work with do it and it doesnt affect them or prevent them from doing their job.

if youre a freeloader looking for some easy free govt money, then yeah. drug test em till theyre blue.

i say don't apply for a job if you know they drug test and you do drugs. drug testing for state help is a good idea if you need help you shouldn't be on drugs.

It depends on what you do and why they test you. I'm in the medical field, and they will sue you for no reason. If we wreck an ambulance, etc.

Any form of inebriation on my part could mean that somebody could die. If I forgot to push a drug that needed pushed or had a brain fart on a heart rhythm interpretation, etc, somebody's life could be at stake. I used to not care either, and still don't really as far as most things are concerned. The problem is that you can't hold people accountable for their actions. If you could keep them from smoking a bowl before they went to work to perform a job, that would be awesome. Some people wouldn't smoke when they knew they had a job to do...some would. It's the ones who would that you have to worry about. I suppose that's an argument for a stronger classification of human though.

I just know that if my wife or family was in the back of my ambulance and someone was fucked up while being responsible for their life, I would be pissed.

Now as far as mary jane usage goes....who gives a fuck! legalize!

As long as you're safe and think intelligently, there's nothing to worry about.

The last job I applied for the interviewer told me there would be a drug test. I told him "Sure what drugs do you want me to test?" Still waiting to hear from them.

"sure what drugs do you want to test me for" thats some funny shit. I feel that what I do on my own time is my business. It is unfair that the testing is so cut and dry have thc in your system your done. Nevermind the fact it was 2 weeks ago you used last. The shit should be legal anyhow. It would be good for the economy bring crime down eventually. We could spend drug war money on something else like better schools our national debt something important like that rather than busting up drug rings.

Legalize pot and prostitution...tax them...solve all of our financial issues within this great country of ours.

i'm with twistedwheelz - don't work inebriated, but do what you like in your own time.

having said that, this job makes me want to put hot needles into my wang sometimes, and a doobie would relieve my near-hemorrhage-inducing frustration more effectively than, well, anything else.

Meanwhile you can be high as a kite and dumb as a brick on legal prescription drugs and nobody says boo. Seriously, I knew a gal on Prozac. You could tell whenever she dropped a pill cause she got REEEALLY weird and not in a good way. She was the most stoned person at my last job.

Good point on the taxing of marijuana. California est. that they could bring in around 1.4 BILLION dollars from marijuana.

That being said, I wouldn't want my weed grown in some gov't funded fields, makes for bad herb lol. My question is, what is the big deal about marijuana? It's a plant, big deal, I'm an honor student at university and I smoke everyday. I find that most people who are offended by it, have never tried it. Yet they usually come from a family of pill poppers and alcoholics.

True that some of the worst drug addicts are pill poppers. But they have a prescription so its ok. Never mind they are too stoned to do anything.

I had a feeling this is the kind of responses I would get!
I am all over the make it legal band wagon and was a member of NORML when I was in college!
Every job I have had since College drug tested me.
Sux!

depends on the job. I'm a reservist and that's part of the job. Random drug tests. I totally get it.... if they are going to trust me with an M777, then I should be totally clean.

That said, if my day job wanted to test me, despite not using drugs, I'd be really offended.

I was in the reserves also, so I am used to drug testing. I always gave me a excuse to stay clean anyway. Kinda helped.

Funny story about testing employees:

I worked at Lowe's a few years ago. One employee dropped a mailbox on another from atop the ladder. Injury report filed and both got drug tested. The one that got hit in the head got fired because he tested positive. Makes you think.

The job belongs to the employer, not you. If they don't want someone who is willing to break the law working for them, then that is their prerogative. I believe an employer should be able to hire or fire someone for whatever reason they want.

Having said that, only a total dick would fire someone for lighting one up after work.

Most of the large corporations test to cover their asses in case of lawsuits. Big companies do crazy shit to avoid lawsuits.

Back
Top Bottom