Brodie's XV1100

Re: "Vicious" Ugly Punx XV1100

Pulled the lower fork legs off this morning. Took me a bit to remove the lumpy rust that once was the retainer rings. Old fork seals seam ok, but I have new ones and will use them. Need to buy something to replace the retainer rings with.
Painting the fork legs at the moment. Going to rebuild the calipers tomorrow. I am working late arvo shift most of this week so I have plenty of time to get stuff done during the day. Hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to take it for a test ride.

The blue spot calipers should have the same mounting, but needs an adapter at the bottom because of the leading fork, and the R6 rotors should work.

My 1000 appears to be the same setup as your bike, and the Seca wheel has the same bolt pattern, I just bolted on the R6 rotors, just not sure about spacing as my front end is apart.

19e466c69a8c0ce947a376a7b9443c21.jpg

Brake lines are completely blocked.
A bloke from work gave me the old lines off his GSXR so hopefully they will be long enough to use.

https://youtu.be/lcbCKRmsXFo

Found a hole in the front header causing the ticking noise in the video. No idea why there is a threaded hole there but a very short bolt fixed the problem.

Just waiting on a 1m front brake line and exhaust clamp gaskets to arrive.
I also need to fab a bracket to hold the front indicators. I will bolt it where the old brake line splitter was bolted.

Just finished installing and bleeding the brakes, and wouldn't you know it I got some on the front rim. Going to have to respray a portion of it. Thinking of painting the silver parts of the tank and rear fender while I am at it.

Brodie said:
Just finished installing and bleeding the brakes, and wouldn't you know it I got some on the front rim. Going to have to respray a portion of it. Thinking of painting the silver parts of the tank and rear fender while I am at it.

Sometimes you have to slowdown to go fast... Grasshopper ???

Haha yep. Should have put more rags around the rim.

Just changed the fork oil and added the 10psi. I stepped up to 15w from the recommended 10w as I am 105kg and from all accounts 10w would be to soft.

Lucky for me I had a friend who had a 17mm hex key, I would have been stuffed otherwise.

Took her for a shake down ride yesterday, I need to make a bung to replace that o2 sensor on the rear pipe as it contacted with the ground. I expected that at least I know where the low point is.

Also forgot I had to wire in the front brake switch before I put the headlight back on. I will have to buy some mini blade terminals before I can wire it on.

Made a bracket out of alloy bar for the front indicators to mount to, not great looking but there will be a tool roll to mount and cover it yet.

Couldn't find anything to replace the o2 sensor with so I removed the core and planned on welding it up.

Then I ran out of welding wire....

So, in usual fashion I thought about other ways to plug the hole instead of buying more wire.

I tried a bolt but I couldn't get a thread as the ceramic core was chewing it up.

So I took a step back and noticed my fishing box...

Final solution was using old lead sinkers of the right diameter to plug the hole and beating them in with a hammer. 1 medium sinker for the external and 3 for internal. If the exhaust gets hot enough to melt the lead I think I have bigger issues.

The more fuel I run through the engine the more crud collects in that massive fuel filter. Looks like that will stay on for the first couple of tanks before I upgrade to the small style.

Nice job Brodie. I dig that pipe you made too. Bars would change that look alot. Somewhere 8" or even 12" narrow zeds would look the part. Would love to hear that pipe rev.

https://youtu.be/qo0fr-CgIHk

Sounds great.

Not sure about the smoke though.

I haven't given people much insight into this projects direction.

I have no idea what definitive style I am after. I do know what I want. So the easiest way to get some direction from you lot is to describe what I am after. As far as I am concerned I am now starting with a strong base point that I know runs well and is in good condition.

Wants:
To be able to haul a decent amount of gear. Such as a carton of beer as well as a small tent and a overnight bag.
A comfortable long distance bike.
Good reliability.
Able to have the occasional passenger.
Stand out from other bikes of this style. I don't people to see another virago.
Less gap between the rear fender and tyre. Be it new shocks or fender.

Do not wants:
Bling Bling chrome. These bikes come with far to much of that to begin with.
Poor handling.
Uncomfortable riding position. I am 6'1 and 225lbs, with a stocky build. Not fat, but not fit. I don't want to be cramped up. Current seat already pushes me a bit to far forward.

Any input is much appreciated.

Dechrome as you go bud, look at Corbin for a seat that gives you some height and position should be able to go to a Harley shop and sit on them all... the Heritage has a close ride position so maybe fit with that in mind... a crash bar with highway pegs is a must for long haul and a set of rag or leather bags for camp supplies is awful nice and can be removed for town rides or DD riding.

Don't know if its possible but a 20" front tracks really nice out on the road also... run a tube up front, I find they blow slower and less chance the tire comes off :eek: ... Most important... don't do anything that takes more than a weekend to complete or it may be a month before you ride again 8)

123_ViragoBoltOns_Leadxl%2BYamaha_Virago_750%2BFull_Right_Side_View.jpg

Custom Virago seat on eBay

$_35.JPG

Painted a few more things black. Shocks and cam gear covers. Slowly starting to look the part.

I think new bars are in order.

Been a while since an update.

But she is on the road as of today. Also running very rough. I expected this and have no doubt I am be cleaning the carbs again shortly. I also just ordered a new set of intake boots as I finally decided to stick with the twin carb setup. Not necessarily the two on it but that is in the future.

So I had to replace the exhaust with the dual pipes it came with as the one I welded up gave me no clearance when turning. Still want different pipes but I am thinking a cone on each side might be the go.

I have also been quite inspired by the HCM XV1100 build and would love to take this bike in that direction once I iron out the issues.

Nice work on the ol' Virago. You contemplated a single carb intake, which honestly you'd totally regret. If you're unhappy with the stock carbs, I am running VM38s on my TR1 and they are the dog's danglies. There's a 2in1 throttle cable for VM carbs and XS650-throttle-grips, which bolts up straight away and you'll need some new inlet manifolds UNLESS you skip the VM38s for TM38s as these are available with a throat in stock-carb outer diameter.

I have to admit I do like Hageman's Vinrago, but I think it would be very hard to build something along the same lines, which a) wouldn't be a blatant copy or b) look right. But then, that's what's called a challenge, right?

Cheers,
Greg

Back
Top Bottom