Lowering Kawasaki Z650 D4/LTD -81

andreas_boman@hotmail.com

Been Around the Block
Hi guys,

I'm about to start on my first project. A Z650 D4/LTD -81 that I am going to change mostly simple parts i.e. seat, stearing etc. What I'm though is interested of is if it's common to change something regarding the suspension (front or rear), and how that is done. Interested in all ideas.

Where are you from? Why do you want to change the suspension? Looks or improvement in handling?

o1marc said:
Where are you from? Why do you want to change the suspension? Looks or improvement in handling?

From Sweden. Actually just the look. What I've seen is that there are many that are lowering their bikes, either front or rear, for the look. Believe that the front could be lowered for a nicer look, or if it's maybe easier to highten the rear...?

If you are lowering the front you can either push the fork tubes through the top triple tree if there is room. You can get shorter fork springs. Lowering the bike will probably adversely effect the handling.

o1marc said:
If you are lowering the front you can either push the fork tubes through the top triple tree if there is room. You can get shorter fork springs. Lowering the bike will probably adversely effect the handling.

Thanks,

Gonna look into pushing the fork tubes. Will se if there is much difference in handling.

Generally speaking, leaning the bike forward will make the bike more responsive in turns but more skittish at speed.

Leaning the bike bike will make it handle Ike a chopper, harder to turn but stable as speeds.

If you are riding around in snow and ice dodging moose on the freeway, you need your bike handling right.

Or are you just going to cruise the city?

ako said:
Generally speaking, leaning the bike forward will make the bike more responsive in turns but more skittish at speed.

Leaning the bike bike will make it handle Ike a chopper, harder to turn but stable as speeds.

If you are riding around in snow and ice dodging moose on the freeway, you need your bike handling right.

Or are you just going to cruise the city?

The bike is going to be used May-October and hopefully not during snowy days.. Hopefully it's gonna be a cruiser with the possibility of doing more than cruising some times. Should be a bike that can turn on tight roads, but also be able to go up to 100mph and maybe over..

If you are going to be riding it aggressively I would leave it the way the manufacturer intended it to be. Changing it to look more aggressive or cool will negatively effect it's handling. Put better shocks and tires on it if you plan on riding it at 100mph

o1marc said:
If you are going to riding it aggressively I would leave it the way the manufacturer intended it to be. Changing it to look more aggressive or cool will negatively effect it's handling. Put better shocks and tires on it if you plan on riding it at 100mph

Ok. Good to know. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom