Cb360 thread

nismoman8899

Ive posted around a few times got some great answers with alot of help, going to jeep this my main thread from now on. Been messing with my 76 cb360, has a cl360 engine in it when i got it. Hasnt ran in a long time last titled was in the 80's redid the carbs the electrics started solenoid tires brakes set timing all the good stuff. Hickups here and there, nothing time didnt fix.

So everytime i run it. Let the bowls empty with engine running. Few days later. I find the oil has a gas smell. So i drain it for a few days run clean oil through . Drain again just to get the gas out.happend about 3 times in the length of my owner ship.
Had a small leak in the head gasket. Not hi ing mayjor. Figured mine aswell change the gaskets. All the good stuff. Well lastnight didnt end well, pulled the points and associated parts off pull the cover off. Found the cam has been digging into the cover rocker arms have some decent wear. Kept going. Pulled the head off found even more damage pulled the jugs off. One slipper is broke in 2 peices. (Front) took thebrear out shows decent wear. Never had any noise at anytime. So now im down to pistons and case in bike. Any ideas where i should go from here? Attaching pictures of everything. Any help and or suggestions would greatful

1e5fee8d23225b203b7a3bff534ec95f.jpg

d415e10166dc4bc6944daac18ef6ad0a.jpg

58f84262c8539545cac5e82687ae9b88.jpg

67bc60f403bef6789e57fb6b2ead2059.jpg

be7fa4c655507369d8dcec780e82a5cc.jpg

7a30f9005a19d367546e96dc73f51748.jpg

758655aeef484abb37fd3f9a9a7b7513.jpg

New head, cam, and rockers are in order.

If you're having trouble finding ant of those parts, you might find someone to resurface the rockers and Megacycle can redo the cam. An enterprising machinist might be able to tackle a roller bearing conversion for the head.

Would you have any recommendations as far a what bearing i should use if i can get someone to do a roller conversation? And i did find some parts on ebay. In decent shape

Cam journals can be repaired. They fill the voids and machine back in. I think you'll have it cheaper finding a head with good journals on eBay or somewhere, but it is possible to have the head repaired.

s-l1600.jpg

Ill definitely keep that in mind. Ive been browing ebay some look to be in good shape. Some show slight wear . At the moment slightly out of price range. Trying to sell some small toys and tools to get this project back up and running and riding again.

Need a little assistance. Went to pull the motor a little while ago. Figured ill put it apart. Lower case and trans. Unbolted front mount and took off rear mount. I have both side covers (case covers spoket clutch. And clutch plates all removed.) When i when to til the engine up something hit the floor. Figured a bolt. No biggy. But i looked down and its this large washer. Brown/black id say about 12mm large hole in center. Figures might have fell off from the footpeg rod. Because everything has some oil and grime on it. Test fit. Nope. Looked at tye brake lever and that area when i pulled the case covers off and took the sides out nothing fell just when i moved the motor mount. Any ideas driving me crazy tonight picture attached
c2396af1bf187cb0c1163a938b7c758d.jpg

6c97021b0d7671e2002e433280ae3483.jpg

Awesome had me slightly off , thought jt went throught the foot rod and fell out right side. I was close. Ha thankyou

Put in some work last night took the cases apart, pulled the trans out , down to the kick start gear ( left that in) took alot of pictures.

When i split that case i found that where the tensioner rides on the motor, some ground down metal and 2 o rings in the case but not sure if from another rebuld that wasnt removerd ,and copper sealer along with a whole lot of metal sludge, but that looks like it came frok the slipper and case where they ride , i have no probelm taking it to the parts washer at work and cleaning it conpletely out. Can i reuse this or do i now need a new case top and the tentioner itself apperars to be missing a black end peice where the slipper sits?

More i tear this apart the more i wonder if its worth rebuilding?

ec017d64e00f3cc5c7adf8f676478ce8.jpg

093f046b3d27de9097b0267d7ca644b3.jpg

ed40c003213238d9448ddca992f97dbf.jpg

936fe93b2b9cba8d4e77b9419eb44aa0.jpg

76ea45897ba054261748872d11adfcae.jpg

Is the upper case worth saving or should i source one from ebay found decently cheap along with the head and rockers n cam

As long as its not worn through that upper is just fine, I think you will find quite a few 360s have that wear I know mine has it.

I think what amazes me is mine had 20k miles on it when I got it and rebuilt it and the bottom end had about the same amount of crap in it.

I beleive it someon ebay have that wear mark. I found one case. Never been stamped with a number. But if its good saves me $40+. Trying to order a head and rocker cover n cam. And gasket kit. But every gasket kit i find doesnt list if it comes with the orins for the pump and pickup and doll pins. Any recommendations?

Vesrah has good kits for the gaskets and o-rings. I would suggest changing out the the other seals as well while you are there. Should be able to get complete kits for those too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I bought the 4into1 seal kit for 32 bucks on amazon ( from 4into1) had all the external seals. Vesrah was a good price at 46ish bucks. Just cant verify if it has the seals for the oil pump and pickup tube. And the doll pins for the head. I ran some part numbers and shows honda still uses a few for quest vans for the trans. Hopetonight i can conply a list and call honda for them see if they are available

It should have all the o-rings if I remember correctly, its been a few years since I've bought one from them though.

http://www.common-motor.com/honda-cb360-overhaul-gaskets

This kit has what you're looking for, along with a list of its contents to confirm.

I buy most of my parts for the 360 from Common Motor Collective. They're great, down to earth guys and on top of their customer service. They'll keep up with you.

Ha good call, ive ordered probably $ 600+ from them in tge last year qpuld you say thats better and more complete than vesrah kit tho? I just want everytging in 1 shot with every orin mg for every spot h

Orderd a head. According to cmsnl.com the rockers are the same part numbers for multiple cb360/cl36p engines and tockers show same park number for left and right and intake and exhaust. One rocker on the new one has some slight pitting. Debating buying a replacement. One ebay a sellers lists as A and another as D looks to be in good shape says no pitting. Cam on the one i bought looks good. Wont know 100% till it arrives hopefully this week. This is a picture of the rocker. Or can i do a really fine sandng to it and call it good?

fc874e3f4bf820b55ffb9a3ab897ad3f.jpg

You can't sand away those pits. The hard surface is only skin deep, repair or replace only... funny bit is it seems that rocker seems to chunk off on all of these on the same side same location

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I understand, found a few but listings are weird listed at (a , b , c ,d), would this be a good substitute
Or i save tge money for a $80 nos rocket. Out of budget for a long while
8b173d0f138bff29d7d668917a59f521.jpg

Back
Top Bottom