CB450 Tracker

I rewired the alternator cables and bolted up the alternator cover, and then fitted up the countershaft cover and installed the gear lever and left hand side footrest bracket. The next thing to do will be to set the tappet adjustments and then fit the two covers. I will then be able to install the throttle cables, which will need to be shortened first.

Attachments

• DSC00290a.jpg
    DSC00290a.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC00291a.jpg
    DSC00291a.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC00292a.jpg
    DSC00292a.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 287
Thanks Phillip, I was going to build an electronic ignition with infrared LED's and light dependent resistors instead of points but I really like the idea of seeing the points arcing at night-time. If they become a PITA I will probably go that way, but we'll see how it goes.

Tonight I set the points and adjusted the ignition timing, then adjusted the tappets and fitted the covers up. Last night I made up the throttle cable and fitted it all up, which is the last of the cables to be done. Next I need to make up the number plate mounting bracket and rear light, and then wire the light into a small harness. All that's left after that is to finish painting the tank and seat and then wire it all up, which will just use the existing harness with some small modifications for the tacho/speedo.

Attachments

• DSC00294a.jpg
    DSC00294a.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 288
Did you line up the screw slots on hose clamps? (looks like you did) That was something we had to do when shop sold BMW's. Part of PDI was checking all the slots matched ;D

Lining up the screw slots was just lucky lol.
I wasn't too happy with the carbies and air filters hanging off the rubber manifolds so I made up a small adapter which clamps onto the frame. This has a couple of studs threaded into it that go through the clamping slots on each carbie. I think it will work OK but if the vibration through the frame makes the carbies vibrate and froths the fuel then I will fit up some small rubber vibration dampers to each one which should fix that problem.

Attachments

• DSC00302a.jpg
    DSC00302a.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC00303a.jpg
    DSC00303a.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC00300a.jpg
    DSC00300a.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC00299a.jpg
    DSC00299a.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC00297a.jpg
    DSC00297a.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC00296a.jpg
    DSC00296a.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 255
That is a really nice bracket. Just a thought, the frame tends to resonate at certain revs and just generally transmits vibration. It might shake the carbs up. On our old TZs there was a similar long bolts across the two carbs and it was suspended by a rubber strap from the frame tubes above. A long battery strap would work. Or move that clamp up the tubes say 50mm and modify it to hold one end of a strap.

Pete12 said:
I think it will work OK but if the vibration through the frame makes the carbies vibrate and froths the fuel then I will fit up some small rubber vibration dampers to each one which should fix that problem.

Thanks Phillip, I have ordered some little damper blocks to minimise the transmitted vibration, unfortunately I have to go away again next week, but only for the week, so I can fit them up when I get home. Good luck on the BOTM mate, I've voted already.

I feel your pain having to go away, Ive got another month left this rotation before I can come home and pull this motor out to repaint it. Cheers fingers crossed for BOTM competition is stiff I’d vote for the other bike I love mono shock conversions.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I've got four of these ordered, should be at home by now. I'm lucky as I'm sitting in Malpenso airport in Italy waiting for my flight, so I don't have that six week stay like you do, but I am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the BOTM to be decided.

Attachments

• s-l640[1].jpg
    s-l640[1].jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 526
I used to buy a load of those dampers. I think they were off a Mini Cooper somewhere/ (old style Mini) I used them as exhaust mounts on various MX bikes . They were way cheaper than any of the OEM rubber dampers

crazypj said:
I used to buy a load of those dampers. I think they were off a Mini Cooper somewhere/ (old style Mini) I used them as exhaust mounts on various MX bikes . They were way cheaper than any of the OEM rubber dampers

Mmmmmmm,you said, "old style Mini" and, "Mini Cooper"!

crazypj said:

Yes PJ, they were around $8 Australian delivered for the four, pretty good value. I just got home from the airport and they were sitting there waiting, so I'll fit them up tomorrow and see how they look.

And here they are (straight from China no doubt) and all fitted up. They seem to work well and, as Teazer says, should stop the carbs from getting any resonant vibration that will cause frothing.

Attachments

• DSC00306.JPG
    DSC00306.JPG
    341 KB · Views: 295
It looks more 'professional' with the dampers fitted. I would use them because of that even if they were not needed ;D

Back
Top Bottom