SR500 Build... Almost there!

gray

Hey guys, I'm new to the ton and I thought I would start a little thread before I finished this thing. This forum has been a tremendous inspiration, thank you guys.

A couple months ago I drove from Orange County to LA to pick up a nice '79 SR500. WHILE I was giving it a test ride around the block, something shot through the engine case, leaving a clean, open hole. SHIT! I totally wanted this bike, so I was about as bummed as the guy selling it. We said sorry, no deal (at this point I was not interested in doing a rebuild) and drove back home.

I couldn't stop thinking about that bike.

A week later I contacted the seller again. He still had it, we haggled on price for a little, and ended up settling somewhere around half of what he was originally asking, seeing as I would most likely have to rebuild the engine. I was stoked.

We picked it up two days later:
1329590789683.jpg

1329590796716.jpg

1329596092883.jpg

I still had to figure out what shot through the case and why. So the engine came out. Once I got the clutch cover off the issue was easy to see. There is a ratchet guide at the back of the kick start assembly. Apparently it is not uncommon for these things to fail, and in my case, the broken piece just happened to catch a tooth on the starter, propelling it through the back of the engine.

IMG_0068-1.jpg

IMG_0067-1.jpg

EASY FIX!! I ordered a replacement for the broken part and had the case welded! Engine rebuild averted.

1330710561883.jpg

1330712020318.jpg

A little paint and polish:
1331422184764.jpg

Then tires finally came:
2012-03-16_18-46-41_161.jpg

(Imagine a lot more painting, polishing, wire wheeling, parts ordering, late nights in the garage, complaining neighbors, and more parts ordering)

So that pretty much gets me to where I am now.

From the other night:
IMG_6194.jpg

IMG_6188.jpg

My buddy Brandon giving me a hand
IMG_6146.jpg

IMG_6180.jpg

IMG_6203.jpg

IMG_6199.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg

As of right now the thing should be pretty much ready to fire up, and the only part that I am waiting on is the brat seat from Motolanna. (Peter over there has been great at keeping me updated.) I think this weekend I will run new fuel and carb vent lines and get the lights going. I might even toss the original seat on temporarily as I don't think I will be able to resist taking it for a ride up the coast.

I would also like to say thank you to my extremely understanding and supportive wife, and helpful friends for making this project so enjoyable. :)

Ahhhhhhhhh, a big single! Nothing says 'cafe' more than a big single, and you have one of the best. Congrats! I've had several thumpers and am constantly on the lookout for my next one. Keep us posted, I'd love to see the finished product!

Clean build. I have always like those SR500's. Are those superbike bars?

Hey, thanks for the nice words, guys.

BWJ said:
Clean build. I have always like those SR500's. Are those superbike bars?

They are actually euro style bars.

Great work! Are you going to hack the frame and hoop it? I'd love some more photos- I need a new background...

Well the bike has been running for some time now... I'm still kinda working out carb jetting issues, but it has been a total blast to ride. I'm still waiting on the Motolana seat ::), so I am stuck running the stock one for now.

This is how it currently sits:

photobucket-707-1334110429616.jpg

photobucket-22374-1336770898617.jpg

photobucket-1143-1337037056673.jpg

When that seat finally comes back in stock I will be able to chop the rear fender and put a new tail light on it. I have also been waiting to install the blinkers so I can get them mocked up correctly around the seat. I'm still waiting to paint it too, as I don't want the high profile stock seat to rub through the paint where it touches the back of the tank. Pretty much all I can do now is wait and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

I am getting sick of waiting for that Motolanna seat, and I'm thinking I might just shell out the $$ for a Nitroheads one. Does anyone know if SR400 and SR500 seats are interchangeable?

I'm looking at this one:
http://japan.webike.net/products/317288.html

gray said:
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

I am getting sick of waiting for that Motolanna seat, and I'm thinking I might just shell out the $$ for a Nitroheads one. Does anyone know if SR400 and SR500 seats are interchangeable?

I'm looking at this one:
http://japan.webike.net/products/317288.html

yes, they are interchangeable, got one on my SR ;)

cheers,
Kelvin

Back
Top Bottom