1977 BMW R100/7 Sarcoplasmic Cow Hellride

Re: 1977 BMW R100/7 Miles Von Muncher Hellride

Send some of that motovation my way... after this move, I need it :-\

Moving sucks. Our moves back and forth to Philly were rough every single time.

Well, I'm running it off the bottle with the battery out of frame, but we got it fired up. One of the carbs is leaking from the float valve and the timing is off. I'll take it as a victory and settle in with a beer...

3c8139f7d33725276078b9d5d044a44a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Awesome!. First fire is such a great feeling. How'd the pipes sound?

good job eric

lets go riding

Thanks, guys. Next up is trouble-free ignition...

471a29a1280e3fc67588e57a668f36a0.jpg

When I first got it fired, it had a nasty exhaust leak and the timing was a wee bit off.

Keep it up, man. I am glad it went to someone showing it so much love.

I got a hondaman single point ignition switch to take the load off the point if ya want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellwood said:
I got a hondaman single point ignition switch to take the load off the point if ya want it.
I forgot about that. I'm interested.

Text me the address and I will look up the photos I have of it installed.

1977 BMW R100/7 Miles Von Muncher Hellride

Got the Dyna ignition booster installed and the valve clearance set. Started it up and let it run for the first time...

https://youtu.be/rwxBiYH3DU0

A proper carb sync, idle adjust, sort the exhaust leak and engine braking to set the rings still lies ahead...

Looks like more is in order for this sick little shepherd. One obvious thing going on in the video is an exhaust leak. But more so going on with the right side is leaky valve guides and valves. I was able to get a good seat on both valves with a lap, and put in an order for two bronze guides. I machined chamfered retainers for the both sides of the exhaust to hopefully seal them up. We will see.

Thick slather of exhaust goop my mechanic used. Was loads of it until I cleaned some off. Kinda like a paste grease. He's old school so I guess it's the norm. Never leaked though. Had to cut one nut off so new ones both sides.
4843911d83d076988719b2bdf8917310.jpg

Couple years back, I read enough good about this stuff I picked up a tube. I havent used it yet, so I cant review.

Cures w heat.

https://www.google.com/?client=safari&channel=mac_bm#channel=mac_bm&q=wurth+exhaust+assembly+paste&*

IMG_1381_zpssnbgl3n3.jpg

Ha! That Wurth logo is almost like Wu-Tang. Gotta be good.

irk miller said:
Ha! That Wurth logo is almost like Wu-Tang. Gotta be good.

If you look close it has been re-labeled. Just a sticker over the original. Never peeled it off to look.

I was a vehicle safety inspection mechanic in Mt. Lebanon/Pittsburgh for a few years and I had never seen or used muffler mud before there. I swear by that stuff now. Saved many a folk from having to buy new catalytic converters and mufflers because they had a "exhaust leak". I love PA but some of their safety rules are a bit over the top.

80 cb750

Well, last night I hamfisted the exhaust valve guide I ordered. It got me pretty down, as I thought I could finally have this thing on the road this weekend. Went to bed pissed off and looking for a replacement. Then with a clear head, I woke up with a plan to just make my own replacement. Here it is, with a perfect fit...

ec2960e5c2958bd7256ab8fb2812c495.jpg

Back
Top Bottom