Opportunity to get an 85 k100

Finnigan

Over 1,000 Posts
Hey everyone,

Came across a red BMW k100 that is being sold by a widow's son (?) The story is: after he passed she put it in the garage -apparently up on blocks- and there it sat under a cover. It has 4100 original miles on it and yes it still has the nubbies on the original tires. The bike is in showroom quality and honestly I think it belongs in a BMW museum but it runs and everything is good. He changed the fluids and unfroze the fuel pump, brakes and sprayed lube in the cylinders before starting it up. It smoked for a bit but purrs like a kitten. I'm assuming he has all the paperwork for it since he knows the widow is the second owner.

The bad news is he wants more than I think its worth, so he offered to cut the cost down if I trade my cb750 single sided swingarm project which I'm not keen on doing.

Anyone own one of these bikes? I've heard they are reliable but terrible in summer traffic because they heat up so much.

Thanks

I own a k75, the smaller version, and I would say it's very reliable. But expect it to smoke for a while after you buy it unless he's been riding it. I store mine on the center stand and it always smokes a little the first couple of rides and it will also smoke if you park it on the side stand. It's a design flaw BMW never thought about or corrected, the valve train is on the left side so the oil will seep into the valves on the side stand. I have heard about the over heating, but I haven't had that issue since I don't live in a high traffic area. I think the going price on those in good condition is around the $2000 to $3000 area. Check to make sure the speedo and tach are working properly it's common for them to be unreliable. And make sure he had the drive shaft lubed, it should be done every 8,000 miles, the rear splines tend wear rapidly if it's not done.

Overheating is NOT an issue. However, overheating of the rider IS an issue with the fully faired LT version.

I've been playing with Kays for 12 years now and NEVER had an overheating problem with one that is fully functional. It has to be fairly brutal conditions to even get the fan operating !

However, sounds like the one offered would make serious money with a collector / enthusiast. Buy it / sell it and buy something else with the profit !!!!

LOADS of scope for Cafe Racer, Race Rep, Fighter, etc.,etc. They are bulletproof.

Back
Top Bottom