question on clubmans

XsjadoTwin

Been Around the Block
So my brother went ahead and got me a pair of DCC 7/8" clubmans for Christmas after he saw the seat i purchased (yeah i know its april.) but ive been messing around with mocking them up and found I up there are several different angles and positions that feel "comfortable" for clubman's. The most comfortable for the back has me mounting the the bars "upside down" to the norm that is clubmans. Now yes I could go out and buy the bars I want (and I will) but just to appease my brother and not seem like a dick I'm going to run the gifted clubman's and see how it goes. My question is, is it super taboo to invert the clubman's to give a slightly more upright riding style? I dont need to be in a speed tuck, its a 360cc I'm not going for any land speed records here ;)

If you feel a upright position is better then get rid of them and swap them out for superbike styles.

Try drag bars or superbike bars as mentioned if the style doesn't suit you. It's your bike, you need to have it set up in a way that is comfortable for you, not for your brother's feelings...he'll get over it.

Ride 'em how you want, who cares if people (including me) will point and laugh. But there is also a whole constituency of people who think upside clubmans are supposed to be mounted that way, so you'll have them as friends. Upside down clubmans are better than stock bars turned upside down, I guess.

clubman's are too low for most street riding as are clipon's
if all you do is carve canyons and twisty roads well then they can be useful if you want to ride in a racing tuck crouch
but if you are riding around town and in traffic they are uncomfortable and dangerous
ie: if you ride in a racers crouch around town you dont really have good vision above and around other vehickles
and your speed is not high enuf to lift you so you have too much weight on the arms wrists
if you try to get comfortable with them and sit more upright then your arms are too close to being locked straight which is an unsafe way to ride, proper safe control of a motorcycle is impossible with straight arms
if running them upside down feels better do it

Run them how you like but like carnivorous said some of us (me and him so far) will get a good chuckle out of it.

You could try it both ways for the experience and to see which way you like best. I had them right side up on the GL and that wasn't bad, I installed them upside down and with some rearsets they wouldn't be that bad. I have clip on's on my xs and I like them a little better. But yeah if you try it youll know what you like!

I got clubmans for my CB750 and they didn't stay on there too long. The only angle that I could put them at to clear the tank on each side made them pretty uncomfortable for anything longer than a 15 minute ride. I switched up to some superbike bars and I like them wayyy better. The riding position isn't as aggressive and they still look cleaner and more low profile than the stock bars. But that's my opinion on my bike, I'd say try a few different bars/angles if you can and see what you like better!

I can't see how the $22 or so for a bar with the ergos you want is a bad investment. It's not like this is a big-ticket item, but it does contribute heavily to the most critical parts of your riding experience, from comfort to safety. So it's worth getting the right one.

You may even be able to exchange the bars with DCC, or trade with someone on this site.

And no one will laugh at you, either.

Haha I do appreciate everyone's concern about people judging or laughing at me. But ihah I get laughed at (and laugh at myself every day) I'm a 5'6” 115lb 27yr old trapped in a 17yr olds body. So I'm really not worried about what others think. Now what's practical and comfortable I'm all for. And I told my brother not to buy me bars but he went to DCC (because that's where he heard I got my cowl from) and ordered there expensive ass clubman's (when I checked the price I about slapped him cause a local shop up the road sells them for $60 cheaper) but he's loaded, and spontaneous (a pretty awesome brother to have)

btw in the mean time since my last post I did sit down with my brother and explained to him I'm going to run a different set up because I dont have the money to buy rear sets to make the clubman's "practical".

Pretty solid excuse for the time being if you ask me....now I just pray I dont see a surprise set of rearsets at my door :/ (I lied, I kind of wouldn't mind)

XsjadoTwin said:
btw in the mean time since my last post I did sit down with my brother and explained to him I'm going to run a different set up because I dont have the money to buy rear sets to make the clubman's "practical".

Pretty solid excuse for the time being if you ask me....now I just pray I dont see a surprise set of rearsets at my door :/ (I lied, I kind of wouldn't mind)
i have a feeling this will be proof of murphy's law.

you will "magically" get rear sets.

Keiff Hardcore said:
i have a feeling this will be proof of murphy's law.

you will "magically" get rear sets.

Are you alluding towards clubmans and rear sets would be "wrong" on a 360?

Or was it more, "he will try to build a bike vicariously through me and order rear sets just to see <b>IF</b> "his" clubman's go on" and that is the wrong that's going on?

Your post has me so perplexed! Now the possible future chess match of part selection lies I'll have to play with my brother might end up pushing my planned out cafe build to a street tracker build.... I can't afford that!

I have a feeling i might wave the white flag if rear sets show up, I want to do them eventually but hell if they come at a discounted price I can push eventually.

XsjadoTwin said:
Are you alluding towards clubmans and rear sets would be "wrong" on a 360?

no, that because you told your LOADED bro that you need rear sets for your clubmans... he is going to buy you rear sets.

If it has to do with moving parts my brother is on board. He being a single guy with too much money has been dumping his time and capital into tools and his jeep. The $3500 wrangler he bought for crawling has easily seen nearly $10k+ of modification to the chassis, transmission/drive train, and suspension. Its literally like a mobile pit stop, with 3 fuel cells, 1 main, and 2 reserve tanksthe second reserve tank can fuel the jeep or can be used as a reserve to fuel up other vehicles) with an on board air compressor (which has been fitted to run off of the A/C pulley) equipped with an array of air tools to tackle any job , an on board auxillary generator, hell he even managed a refrigerator for our annual off road run for leukemia which is an all off road excursion from central Arizona to Montana. Its a sleeper, "luxury" amenities with extreme off-road capabilities :) tons of fun when your out in the mountains... To bad it gets about 12mpg

well, he kind of whent all out, ey?

my cage gets an awesome 30 MPG, and its 4000lbs as well as only costing me $1200...

He went more than all out, its almost helmet special.

His transfer case is insane, if youre into jeeps and crawling PM me and I'll shoot you some links to some great off road company's who off incredible stuff (most of the pieces thatve been used required you to weld them together yourself...he isn't some yuppie "pay a shop to do it guy" everything on his jeep has been meticulously gone over by hand in his garage (with the exception of installing a new gear set). And keep in mind this is my little brother, kids an amazing talent when it comes to anything mechanical.

The garage gene must a skipped a year, I wish I had his ingenuity when it comes to the mechanicals. I'm more of the designer, he had the skills to make it actually work, and I'll confess, I am learning from my younger bro, ha. Its funny I taught him how to ride a motorcycle, over a decade ago and now he's teaching ME how to build one. Full circle

Ive ran clubmans both ways. When I fit bars to a bike, I use three bars. Clubmans, drag bar, and superbar.

Between these three, there is a setting and clearance for just about everyone. I ran clubs on my trumpet, and loved them for the street, My Sporty not so. I have the drags on it now, but may switch back to the superbars depending on this summers riding.

Back
Top Bottom