1977 GS750 Cafe Build (getting close)

Re: 1977 GS750 Cafe Build (small update)

Loving the build, thinking of stealing some of your ideas for my '76 GS 750. Especially the tank indents for the knees. looks awesome. How did you manage getting them so uniform and how did you indent them?

Drew it out on card stock, then traced it on tank. Started hammering in the center and worked my way to the edges, going slowly and working on both side to get it as close as i could to match.

Look forward to seeing your build.
Thanks

I need to get my bike running before i can properly start the build. The inside of the tank has some light surface rust. It wiped away when i touched it. How do i flush the tank though to make sure all the crap comes out? Once that is done i think ill need new coils, solenoid and a rectifier as these all look pretty bad. I already got a new battery for it as it was missing. Not sure of the state of the carbies but will try to start it and see how i go.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk

I've heard of some people using vinger for very light rust, and there a product call Por that you can use to seal the inside of the tank. Carbs always need a good cleaning or more, on bikes that have been setting for a while the gas seem to turn into a varnish. Check out http://www.thegsresources.com/ you will find a lot of info there. You can ask PeteGS or Hoosier Daddy. They have been working on suki's longer then I, they are great guy and will help a guy out. If you have body work, painting ?'s, I can help you out there quit a bit.

Cafe Redneck said:
I've heard of some people using vinger for very light rust, and there a product call Por that you can use to seal the inside of the tank. Carbs always need a good cleaning or more, on bikes that have been setting for a while the gas seem to turn into a varnish. Check out http://www.thegsresources.com/ you will find a lot of info there. You can ask PeteGS or Hoosier Daddy. They have been working on suki's longer then I, they are great guy and will help a guy out. If you have body work, painting ?'s, I can help you out there quit a bit.

Ooops... dobbed in... hahaha :D

Yes, the POR 15 stuff is good and the kit will both clean the existing rust out as well as line it to prevent it happening again. Over here it's $75 for the kit and I reckon it's well worth it. If you do it, follow the instructions exactly. Borrow your wife's/girlfriend's/boyfriend's (metro sexual right?) hair dryer to make sure the tank is 100% definitely completely dry before putting the liner in. Oh, and if you reckon it's 100% dry, then use the hair dryer some more...

Also, +1 on the varnish in the carbs if they've been sitting for more than about 3 to 6 months. Also, there's a dude who runs www.cycleorings.com who will have a complete set of O rings for your carbs. Well worth it if you're going to dismantle for a proper clean.

And yeah... the GS Resources is the place to be for Suzuki GS technical stuff :)

I already have that set of O rings from that website, at least i'm assuming its from that website, the previous owner gave them to me as he purchased them and never got around to performing the clean. From looking at that website my set of o rings have the same set of identification letters in each of the little plastic bags with the o rings in them. Would changing over the o rings and clean be sufficient enough or should i get the gaskets as well, sorry about the thread hijack, promise this is the last question regarding this and will get back to how awesome your bike is looking. hehehe.

No problem with the ?'s. You should get a build thread going, there are not many Suki projects on here, and we all love pictures of members projects. I hope to have an update on my project in a few weeks. Been working on getting bikes electronics to neatly fit under the seat bump and getting it wired.

koff said:
I already have that set of O rings from that website, at least i'm assuming its from that website, the previous owner gave them to me as he purchased them and never got around to performing the clean. From looking at that website my set of o rings have the same set of identification letters in each of the little plastic bags with the o rings in them. Would changing over the o rings and clean be sufficient enough or should i get the gaskets as well, sorry about the thread hijack, promise this is the last question regarding this and will get back to how awesome your bike is looking. hehehe.

He's the only one I know of that sells the kits so good chance they're from him. They're the goods to use :)

I did the gaskets on mine because they were cheap (less than $US6 each) but it all depends what condition they're in.

Now... to resume normal thread operation ;D

Electronics under the seat bump is cool, but make sure your R/R will still get lots of air flow.

Thanks for the heads up on the Air flow to the R/R. You would think the cooling fins would have gave me a clue :-[

Cafe Redneck said:
Thanks for the heads up on the Air flow to the R/R. You would think the cooling fins would have gave me a clue :-[

Hahaha all good, you're not the only one ;)

It's been awhile since I've updated but here is where I'm at.
Got the wiring close to done, still looks like a rats nest but works. The factory battery box with full size battery will fit under the seat hump. Which by the way, had to do another one. First one was all jacked up.(crooked as hell) 2nd one is looking much better.
IMAG0085.jpg

Carbs rebuilt, notice # 3 carb is dry. I ran bike when I got it home guess it was only running on 3 cyl though. I have started bike since mounting carbs, Idle great at 1100 RPM's( hooked up my new tech from Dime city to test, works great). A little flat when I gave it gas, sure it will need jetted.
IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

Been collecting parts
IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

AMG battery will lay flat.
Been mostly polishing and cleaning.
IMAG0077.jpg

Would post more pic's, but photobucket seems to be acting up. more later.
Anyways working on front caliper and getting it polished and rebuilt then the rear brakes and wheel polished and rebuilt.
Polishing sucks,(this is why it taking me so long) I'll have to go a different way on my next build.

Yes sir, this is looking great.

Is that their electronic tach? Or are those just the leads for the back lighting?

Well it's a offical, I'm an Idot, I was just going thru my pic's, and I noticed my forks and wheel is on ass backards :-[.

Re: 1977 GS750 Cafe Build (long time since last update)

Man that's a nice collection of parts... and some shiny stuff goin' on too :)

Don't worry, I'm sure we've all been there done that at some point!

Re: 1977 GS750 Cafe Build (long time since last update)

IMAG0090.jpg

Getting closer, Rebuild brakes, get new shocks, make bracket for gauges, finish seat bump and it will be rideable. I won't say done there is a few more things I'd like to do. But i'm ready to take this bitch for a ride!!! Also picked up 4 uesd K&N pods yesterday for $5, was that a good deal? yes I'm a cheap ass.

Re: 1977 GS750 Cafe Build (getting closer)

4 K&N's for $5? Lucky SOB!!! Get a recharge kit for them and you'll be laughin'!

Here's where I'm at, still need a few things, but as for now just tring to get ridable for summer.
Before and after photo.
IMG00067-20111023-1616.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

Mate she's looking real neat and tidy! Love the colour too...

The only criticism (and it could just be the photo angle) is... is the tail a little too bulbous for the tank?

Back
Top Bottom