Thump thump - Yamaha SR500 project

13thenewblack13

Been Around the Block
I thought i would try my luck with a CX500 build but it just didn't keep my interest and was heavier than what i was looking for so i fixed it up, made some profit, and picked this up instead. 1980 yamaha sr500 with 14k on the clock. It runs but needs some tuning up. As of now its got fox shocks, supertrapp exhaust, battery has been eliminated, and air box is gone, just a K&N filter on it now. I picked it up for 1k which i feel is a little high to start at for a project bike but i've seen these bikes go for a lot more so not too worried, and i guess i can't complain since its a nice runner. I was thinking cafe but i've been liking trackers more and more so thats the plan for now. Let me know what you think! SR500 owners chime in and give me some tips!

Damn that one sure is a beauty don't feel so bad about spending 1k on it I bought mine for $300 blown up and all said and done probably have $900 in it but I also got hours and hours of entertainment out of it (as in work :])

Yeah thats what i figured, its better to pony up a bit more and get a good running bike and save yourself a lot of headaches, i like wrenching just as much as the next person, but there are many times when i would just rather save myself the time. I'm loving it and i'm kind of worried about painting it since its in pretty good shape, but at the same time i want to make it my own... i guess time will tell.

Clean bike. Worth the extra dough to start with something that clean. That bike got a nice stance. I'd ditch the chrome, blackout the wheels, change the bars and speedo... something like this.

Just my 2 cents thou. Keep the pics coming.
500SR_Flying_Tiger_Profil_D_2.jpg

crackerman said:
Clean bike. Worth the extra dough to start with something that clean. That bike got a nice stance. I'd ditch the chrome, blackout the wheels, change the bars and speedo... something like this.

Just my 2 cents thou. Keep the pics coming.
500SR_Flying_Tiger_Profil_D_2.jpg

Thanks! i definitely had a little something tougher in mind so the chrome might not make the cut, i wish i could change the wheels to spoke wheels but doing all that is a little out of my budget right now, I'll hopefully have more pics up as soon as i start changing things! that bike looks sweet, i think its from Blitz Motorcycles, they have a sweet sr500 modeled after a harley davidson flat tracker. First thing on my list is tires, i've got a shift lever on the way right now since the splines on the current one are toast and you have to move it like two inches to shift! Also, for some reason it didn't come with a decompression lever so its a pain in the ass to start. we didn't know "the ritual" to starting an sr500 when we drove it home so we ended up getting stuck for 20 minutes trying to get it started.

kickstartsr.jpg

nice bike. i'd love to have one myself. do have a question thought. what's up with your center stand? from it's angle it looks like it's seen better days. never seen one with that angle that puts the rear wheel that low to the ground. would make me a little nervous to be sitting on it like that.

thenewblack said:
Thanks! i definitely had a little something tougher in mind so the chrome might not make the cut, i wish i could change the wheels to spoke wheels but doing all that is a little out of my budget right now, I'll hopefully have more pics up as soon as i start changing things! that bike looks sweet, i think its from Blitz Motorcycles, they have a sweet sr500 modeled after a harley davidson flat tracker. First thing on my list is tires, i've got a shift lever on the way right now since the splines on the current one are toast and you have to move it like two inches to shift! Also, for some reason it didn't come with a decompression lever so its a pain in the ass to start. we didn't know "the ritual" to starting an sr500 when we drove it home so we ended up getting stuck for 20 minutes trying to get it started.

kickstartsr.jpg

haha kicking it over the compression is a bitch, definitely wanna get a decomp lever but the mag wheels look great if you black them out i did it to mine heres a pic

IMG_0659 by foundation982, on Flickr

but if you've got any questions feel free to ask me I've been through the entire bike there probably isn't one part on it I haven't touched

dean owens said:
nice bike. i'd love to have one myself. do have a question thought. what's up with your center stand? from it's angle it looks like it's seen better days. never seen one with that angle that puts the rear wheel that low to the ground. would make me a little nervous to be sitting on it like that.

Thanks, and ya i'm not sure but i've never though it looks all that great. It holds up the bike pretty well and i've pushed it around from all angles just to make sure so i guess its not a problem, it just rocks front and back a bit if you push it (normal to some degree?). thanks for pointing that out though i'll look into it

Agree on the the mags. I like spokes as well but the blackout mags looks sick too. I'll be rocking the black mags on my 80 KZ750t.
You can roll with mags and slowly find a set of spoke wheel to refirbish.

foundation982 said:
haha kicking it over the compression is a bitch, definitely wanna get a decomp lever but the mag wheels look great if you black them out i did it to mine heres a pic

but if you've got any questions feel free to ask me I've been through the entire bike there probably isn't one part on it I haven't touched

Yeah i think only an SR owner could appreciate what a pain it is haha, so i have a clutch/decomp set on the way. the black looks great, i think thats my best bet for now. I'll probably take care of that while i'm changing tires since mine are in terrible shape. I might choose a different color though depending on what paint job i decide on. I'll definitely take you up on that offer though i'm sure i'll have some questions soon enough ::)

crackerman said:

Agree on the the mags. I like spokes as well but the blackout mags looks sick too. I'll be rocking the black mags on my 80 KZ750t.
You can roll with mags and slowly find a set of spoke wheel to refirbish.

True, i'll do more things as i get the cash, I'm a student though so i don't work too often. I've heard its a crazy weight difference from mags to spokes though

Back
Top Bottom