'72 CB750 apartment build....

kowalski

Gentlemen! I give you my 1972 CB750, cafe racer. I've owned the bike for about 3 years. It sat in a barn for how knows how long. The engine turned over when I, so i picked it up for $600 with a clear title. All it took was cleaning the carbs a bit and an IV bottle to get it running. Naturally once it was a running bike, I tore it down. It was still a verrrry rough bike though. Anyways, once it was tore down it sat and sat. Finally the top end of the engine was painted and rebuilt. Then it sat some more, my dad got mad and now I've got it in my apartment and I'm finally doing some real work to it.
This is my first huge ass project ever, but I'm a diesel mechanic, so I know just enough to really get myself in some weird spots. I've found that I HATE engine work. I've had the engine in and out of the frame 3 times so far. I keep forgetting orings and remembering a day or 2 later. I do love doing hack job-ish just make it work frame mods though. Tons of fun (really)! I've done all the work myself, but most of it is ideas I've taken off other peoples bikes/builds and adapted to work for my bike.

Well anyways here's what I've got and have done so far, front to back:

duel disk sliver comstar front wheel
'79 supersport front end (forks, upper, and lower triples)
some nice looking ebay clip on's
CBR 600 RR front master cylinder
some clamp on 2 piece headlight brackets, that have had the shine sanded out of them :)
197? supersport tank
Carpy's "Dunstall" style seat (that will be cut into a much cooler shape)
RC51 rear sets
shortened, reshaped and welded stock shifter
RC51 rear master cylinder
'81 CB750 DOHC disk brake swing arm
'79 supersport rear disk brake set up
'79 18" rear silver comstar (disk brake)
and that's all I can think of right now. I'm sure there will be more to come. Hopefully I'm done with the big stuff though!

and here's the pics!

IMAG0063.jpg

I plan on running 14.3" shocks once I find some...
IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

upside down shift pattern..
IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

had to dent the oil tank to clear the master cylinder
IMAG0091.jpg

and lastly, the seat. I'm going to make some kind of steel reinforcement for the seat since I'll be cutting away most of the strength of it.
IMAG0095.jpg

had 1 design I liked, but when i mocked it up, it looked way to short for the tank, so I coming up with a longer one now. Oh yeah, I'm going to make some kind of steel reinforcement for the seat since I'll be cutting away most of the strength of it.
IMAG0097.jpg

Well the build has moved from my living room to my an empty spot in my mom's garage. I've also made a little progress, getting the cb900 shocks on, brakes mounted up and working, clip ons installed, and hacked up Carpy's "dunstall" style. When I test fitted the tank and found that the '78 front end mounts the forks about a 1/2" closer to the frame, causing the forks to hit the tank. I thinking of just welding a bolt to the steering stop to keep the forks off the tank. Anyone have a better idea?

Here's some pics.
IMAG0369.jpg

IMAG0382.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

I just threaded bolts into the steering stops, making them adjustable. But welding on would work. It's a good idea to test a slow speed turn to see if you're going to have problems manouvering. But without a roller its not possible.

Back
Top Bottom