Exhaust wrap - curing?

black350

I've read that you should run the bike after wrapping the pipes to cure the wrap, making it smoke a little. Does this need to be done right after wrapping when the wrap is still wet?

The bike isn't running yet but I wanted to have them ready. Will it still be good to cure in a month when the wrap is long dried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black350 said:
I've read that you should run the bike after wrapping the pipes to cure the wrap, making it smoke a little. Does this need to be done right after wrapping when the wrap is still wet?

The bike isn't running yet but I wanted to have them ready. Will it still be good to cure in a month when the wrap is long dried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not doing it right away means moisture will be sitting on the pipes and cause rust and other issues. Suggest you wait till your ready.

From experience, I think there is something else in the wrap as well as the water you soak it in?
It can take a few weeks riding before the smoke finally goes away, pretty much every time you ride it smokes until temperature is high enough for long enough to 'cook' it in position.
As firebane says, wait until you have a runner to do pipes

Mine stunk for a few weeks after wrapping/running them. Mine are dyed black. Which, incidentally, the black has faded in areas, along the edge of the wrap so at least it looks uniform, but it's annoying nonetheless. My buddy said the dye isn't supposed to be permanent and I was supposed to paint them black but I didn't think so.

Here's where I list all my bikes:
'71 Kaw 250 Bison
'81 KZ750 cafe
'94 XR250L
2014 Yamaha Bolt

In progress: '68 CL350

Pretty sure it's only the 'expensive' full kit that gives decent instructions about painting.
the starting colour is just there until it's cured then paint it..

Back
Top Bottom