DWMS Racing XS1100 Big Bore 1196cc Engine Build

joeyputt

The green flag sets me free
I am rebuilding the top end of this XS1100 and will be doing some nice cylinder head work as well as fitting a big bore 1196cc piston kit. We are also converting the carburetors, adding a modern cam chain tensioner, replacing all of the gaskets, and painting and polishing the engine.

You all know how much I love to post before and after photos of engines and motorcycles that we build so today I took a few photos before we started to disassemble the engine for the rebuild.

000_0003.jpg

000_0007.jpg

000_0005.jpg

000_0009.jpg

We removed the top end of the engine so that we could start inspecting, measuring, and cleaning the parts to get them ready for the machine work.

000_0013.jpg

000_0014.jpg

000_0015.jpg

I disassembled the cylinder head so that I can clean it and start all of the machine work!

000_0002.jpg

000_0006.jpg

I have been working on cleaning some of the parts for the engine, here are a couple photos that show the valves and the cylinder heads chambers after I removed the carbon from them.

000_00062.jpg

000_00022.jpg

Here are a couple photos that show the engine with the top end, starter, and all of the engine covers removed except for the oil filter housing and the oil pan, I put the engine on the engine stand after I took these photos so I can remove the oil filter housing and the oil pan and start washing the cases to prepare them for paint.

000_00012.jpg

000_00032.jpg

The paint that I ordered for this engine arrived today so I sprayed the first five engine covers that I had ready for paint this afternoon!

000_0005%20(2)_zpsda3197d9.jpg

000_0023_zpsb6d88c43.jpg

000_0024_zpsed61be52.jpg

000_0025_zps81fcfb11.jpg

000_0041_zps8fd3f6b6.jpg

Looks awsome so far. I miss my XS11. Do you have any pistures of the complete bike? or is it a complete work in progress?

Thank you Brothers! I am just building the engine and polishing the rims, the gentleman that owns the bike has it apart for paint however it has some really nice suspension work on it so as soon as it is all back togethor I will post a couple photos of it for you.

We have been able to get a lot of work completed on the XS1100 engine this week, I finished painting the rest of the engine covers as well as the starter cover and we also finished washing and preparing the engine cases and painted them. I am still sanding the center of two front engine side covers to prepare them for polishing however here are some photos of how everything looks so far!

000_00013.jpg

000_00033.jpg

000_00072.jpg

000_00232.jpg

000_0034.jpg

what kind of paint is that? Also, any tips on making everything look that good? Need ideas for cleaners ect... Thanks Joey. Looks like another beautiful engine.

Can we have some pix of the shaft to chain conversion?
Did you fabricate this?

Juggernaut said:
what kind of paint is that? Also, any tips on making everything look that good? Need ideas for cleaners ect... Thanks Joey. Looks like another beautiful engine.

Brother the paint we are using on this engine is VHT SP903 epoxy satin black motorcycle engine case paint. As for cleaners, etc. I am still old school and clean each engine by hand with brushes, etc. using soap and water, I do not use chemicals on the engines that I build. Thank you for the compliment, I really enjoy making engines pretty!

scm said:
Can we have some pix of the shaft to chain conversion?
Did you fabricate this?

Brother the gentleman that owns the engine purchased and installed the chain drive conversion however I will see if I can get some more information from him about the manufacturer of it for you!

I have been working on assembling the bottom end of the engine, I am still sanding the center of the ignition and flywheel covers to prepare them for polishing and I have not finished cleaning the cylinder studs yet however I took some photos so you all could see how she looked this afternoon!

000_0001.jpg

000_0007-1.jpg

000_0008.jpg

000_0011-1.jpg

the problem I have with your restorations is that the motorcycles and the engines look too beautiful to use. You guys do some stunning work...That motor is a work of art.

I wonder if that's an XSchop chain drive conversion.
That motor makes mine feel jealous and unloved. Great work!
The XS11 is a beast.

Thank you for the compliments Brothers, as always they truly mean a lot to me!

I finished assembling the right side of the engine this afternoon!

000_00072-1.jpg

000_00082.jpg

000_0017.jpg

Yeah, that would just make the rest of my XS11 look even worse in comparison. :)

Brother Fix I have seen your engine and it is very nice!

The machine work on the cylinders to fit the big bore pistons is completed so today I painted the cylinders to match the rest of the engine. After I painted the cylinders I worked on the cylinder head some more and finished cleaning the oil filter housing, the oil pan, and the valve cover.

I did not take photos of everything I worked on today however here are a couple of the cylinders!

000_0024.jpg

000_0029.jpg

Nice work! This is something I know I will need to do soon to my 11 both the big bore kit and the paint. Where did you source the kit? They are getting pretty scarce these days.

Back
Top Bottom