Any particular rules for the different styles of bike?

rays650cafe

No quarter given, none taken.
I been looking at some of the threads and am wondering. Are any "rules"posted that define a particular type of bike? I remember getting back into bikes a few years ago,when I had to quit driving circle track cars cause it got too expensive.I was in the store and saw the motorcycle classics magazine with Carpy's cafe on the cover.(yep,jumped on the bandwagon because of the way the bike looked,learned the history later.Guilty as charged.)Got my 1st CB650 soon after.Huge POS.Rode it around for a few yrs wanted to make a cafe out of it,lucky to keep it running long enough to get my endorsement. Found the same year,almost the same model for WAYYY less than the original one. Anyway,I wanted a cafe bike,ended up building a Bratsyle? I think that the 80's bike are too curvy to cafe, not that there's any thing wrong with curvy.Likes the curvy.It's a good thing.I think there ought to be a loose set of rules,or suggestions on what makes a good cafe/bratstyle/bobber.BTW,what is the difference between a bratsyle and a bobber?Newer guy wants to know.Maybe help the new guys/girls not end up w/cubmans on a curvy girl.

Attachments

• 102_1254.JPG
    102_1254.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 132
Your question is pretty subjective, so expect a lot of subjective answers.

For a café (for me, of course), the frame needs to be relatively flat and level across the spine and seating area. Not too much rake in the bars and the height should be be about the same for both front and rear. Forward riding position/bars with rearsets allow the rider to "tuck in" out of the wind (as do knee dents in the tank). Seat hump keeps you from sliding off the back and can improve aerodynamics as well. Finally, removal of a lot of "luxury" items in the interest of reducing weight.

All of these things stem from trying to create a bike that serves a purpose. Form follows function.

I always pick a favorite part, then build around that. Let the bike and parts determine what it is. I usually dont know what specific direction it's gonna take until I'm 1/2 way through, or better....

Rear-sets/clubmans or clipons were this bikes reason for changing direction from cafe to brat.I couldn't think of where to easily mount rear-sets. Probabally could have figured it out after a little time. But also,I wanted to take the kids for rides around the neighborhood.So brat it is,for now.

Brat, custom, YOUR'S or his... when it comes to aesthetic's you cant be wrong. Unless you make a certain claim to tile....

BC has it right. It's a special. I'm sure there are perceived rules for the various styles but I don't know what they are and could care less. I visit a car forum, the HAMB, and that bunch are totally anal about what is traditional and what isn't. I'm one step ahead of the grave and what I see on that forum tells me most of them are clueless. Most important of all is its your build. Buildit the way you want and tell the critics to pucker up and kiss your ass. A Special is just that. A Special.

Rules are as follows
1. Dont feed after midnight
2. Dont get wet
3. There are no rules in fight club
4. No metal hangers
5. Dont cross the streem from your proton pack
6. Dont look into the trap
7. The light is green the trap is clean
8. And type something would ya,were paying ya
Arnt we. and Stop looking at me with those bug eyes.

bradj said:
Rules are as follows
1. Dont feed after midnight
2. Dont get wet
3. There are no rules in fight club
4. No metal hangers
5. Dont cross the streem from your proton pack
6. Dont look into the trap
7. The light is green the trap is clean
8. And type something would ya,were paying ya
Arnt we. and Stop looking at me with those bug eyes.

The first rule of fight club is, you don't talk about fight club.

"Bratstyle" is a name of a group of builders in Japan, the term "Brat Style" is coined from a certain style of build they are known for. www.bratstyle.com
"Bobber" is typically a bike that has it's ass end cut off, think Bobcat has no tail or a Semi Tractor running without a trailer is called "Bob-tailing".
Again, this is generalizations, all subject to individual interpretation.
Do a search here, many threads from your ancestor Noobs. ;)

The whole movement [ let's call them "Specials" ] started purely because "There were NO RULES" - we kicked them out and did our own thing [ '50's on ] - and every generation has been doing that ever since.

I'm pretty certain what I think a Cafe Racer is [ 1960's specifications ] - and the name WAS coined in the day to describe those vehicles - to me, anything else is a "Special". Oh, except the early 70's Japanese bikes just creep into that Cafe Racer description. Tim's XS650 fits neatly into that category - truly has the flavour of the 60's Cafe Racer.

That said, take a look at some of the superb machines that have / are being built. Enginuity and the ability to think for yourself. F'rinstance - I don't like Carpy's interpretation - looks like a charicature of itself. HOWEVER, I will be the first to applaud the fact that he's marching to his particular drum beat and turns out some really nice work - just not my style. And I STILL don't know where this fargin Chequer [ checker ] tape comes from !!!

So, just go out and build the bike you want - bollox to what others may or may not like about it. And the rules ........nah, don't like rules.

Rule #1: there are no rules
Rule #2: See Rule #1

The only rule is keep it safe and functional. Do your best to make it a beautiful bike that works at least as well as it looks and be cautious about following ideas you see on the web. I'd guess that at least 50% of the builds do not run worth a crap or work at all. many of the "famous" builds are never seen again and are collectors(?) items ie they are pieces of art rather than functional motorcycles.

I think Beachcomber/Teazer nailed it.I'm not sure where this bike is gonna end when I am done/abandon/wreck it.at this point,i am kinda proud of the work that has gone into it,as we all should be regarding our respective rides.I know she's never gonna be a cafe racer.I'm cool with that.Maybe one day I'll find an appropriate basis for a cafe,until then I'll enjoy my special.For all us in the States happy 4th.Time to celabrate the military/industrial machine that we live in.Everyone else have a great day.As a side note I'm havin trouble thinking of a name for the old girl.was gonna name her after an old GF but "Susie hung like a bucket of mayonaise" didn't seem appropriate.Someone get drunk and help a brother out. Thanks Ray

Back
Top Bottom