triton

dracken1

we get asked quite often , "Is a Triton a Triton only when it is in a Norton Manx frame or any Norton frame"

A triton is a triumph engine in any norton frame. The manx frame is lighter than the old featherbeds so there is a slight performance gain.
Many prefer the Norton slime line frame, mainly because it's more comfortable on the inner thighs, being narrower in that area than a wideline (manx). not getting into how in certain areas the slimlime is wider than a wideline. (Nortons lol)
most of the older hybrids are named by engine first fame second.
triton
tribsa

but just to confuse the issue it's not always the case.

norbsa
norvin
our own Norley.

when doing a Norbsa such as goldstar into a Norton frame (manx in this case) provision has to be made for the bsa oil pump.

manx-goldstar.jpg

other than that just adaptor plates are required to fit.

A norvin is a little more involved. fitting a complete Vincent engine into a manx frame is tighter than a very tight thing. the front downtubes get in the way of the front exhaust. most people cut the frame and alter it to get it to fit (but remember that any original frame that this work is carried out on will be at least 50 years old)

the engine also looks high in the frame without drastic frame reworking.

using a cut Vincent engine makes things a little easier. allowing a one off manx lookalike frame to be wrapped around it. the drain plug needs repositioning but otherwise it still looks like a Norton frame.
norvin10.jpg

or the frame below which is a manx lookalike for the cut Vincent engine but with oil in the frame.
vin3.jpg

As many of us know anything can be made to fit anything, within reason ;D

never be put off by purists who will say you can't do that, you can't do this etc etc.

of course build with thought. if you stick a 150 bhp engine into a chassis which coped very well with 50 bhp. then yes you could experience some drastic buttock clenching moments, and brake fade will be something you become very much aware of. don't think twice about using modern components on your 60's look cafe racer. a big gimeca front drum brake is very good and looks the business, but costs a lot and takes quite a bit of setting up to get the most out of it.
have fun ;D

A Triumph is NOT a 'triton' just because it has a 'triton' sticker on the tank.

Mike Selman is an idiot.

For those who say unit Triumph engines "look wrong", "don't work right" or "don't handle right" in featherbed frames, I reject those subjective opinions based on my first attempt at building a Triton which I think was successful. The bikes looks quite right, very proportional, and handles far better than my Bonneville roadracer.

403525757.jpg

Front end is a Suzuki 550, so the bike could technically be called a "Tritonuki"

I've been collecting parts, a repop Featherbed, a new Triumph engine, late model running gear. Does that count as a Triton?

A Triton is a Triton is a Triton. I've seen some photos of late Triumphs in a featherbed and they seem to fit pretty good. Post your build.

Hoofhearted said:
A Triton is a Triton is a Triton. I've seen some photos of late Triumphs in a featherbed and they seem to fit pretty good. Post your build.
Will do, if I ever have time to get to it. I'mean gathering parts slowly. I don't want to start this one until I have everything. Figure it'll go quicker if I'm not stopping and waiting on parts every few days.

Just when you think you have everything, you end up with another list that's longer than the one you started with.

UK Mark said:
Just when you think you have everything, you end up with another list that's longer than the one you started with.

TOO TRUE!!!!

Its a bit like building a bike for land speed racing. The old adage of work out how much it will cost the triple it!!

Many years ago I built a Triton for next to nothing. Which was just as well as I had nothing. The rolling chassis came from a friend who was sick of looking at it. The engine came from a crashed grass track outfit. Rider got hurt and waned rid of it. The rest was more or less traded for. It was a bit of a sad effort but at the time it was the best I could do. And the worlds ugliest seat. Hated it then. Hate it now,

Start building and don't worry about others. Its your build so go ahead and do it!!

Back
Top Bottom