WHY? Do guys build something that you really cant ride ???

dualero said:
Taking this build as an example of someone who thinks he's building a real motorcycle with what happens to be no clue at all about geometry, kinematics, weight distribution, mechanical design, welding and stress analysis

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68700.0

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Then you havent seen mine!

1fasgsxr said:
Question is are you brave enough to ride that R1 the way it was intened to be ridden?

Sportsbike handling surpassed most riders' ability around the time Honda brought out the Fireblade in 92. The R1 took it a step further in 98.

The thing about the newer generation of litre bikes is that they are as easy to ride at 20mph as they are at 120mph. They are designed that way.

The whole thing about "can you ride it at the limit" is kinda a moot point with a litre bike unless you are on a racetrack. Even then they have more to offer than most riders can handle.

My point was can you ride it well enough to get the pegs dragging in a corner, can you ride it hard enough to put in some decent lap times? I doubt many in here could.. The same could be said about many of the bikes "built" in here as far as everyone has one..Personally I would take a new R1 over anything in my garage right now. The reason is I cut my teeth riding curves when I was younger and it is a much greater rush than riding an old CB down the road at 60 mph as it begs for mercy.

You build it I killed it 8)

The right to build and ride or drive anything you want should be as important as the second amendment. the right to travel 14-33

miffa said:
horses for courses

if i wanted a R1 i would simply buy one of the thousands up for sale,you can buy them for pocket money ,it probably does far more than it says on the can and straight out the box with no mods needed at all.
where's the X factor in that ?? rather ride a old rust bucket of bits ive given birth to any day of the week ,its called individuality and pride in your own work ,not sure what you can put your name to build wise? but putting crap together and making crap is what im about and if you haven't experience the feeling of the first run on something you have built then perhaps you wouldn't understand, thats said with no disrespect to you ,just what ive been doing and will continue doing as long as im able.
Your argument doesnt hold water...(other than your personal reasons)..The Triumph is sweet and I dont know what you build either...but there are just as many of the vintage bikes out there for far less money than an R1.. I guess my original post sounds about like you trashing on the poor yamaha.. We all like different stuff for different reason I guess. If we liked the same stuff the world would be pretty boring.

My point is that people that are putting crap together should be able to tell for certain that their ability to put that crap together won't endanger other people's lives when they put their contraption on the road.

Just saying

dualero said:
My point is that people that are putting crap together should be able to tell for certain that their ability to put that crap together won't endanger other people's lives when they put their contraption on the road.

Just saying

When you buy anything ridden or driven, it is now up to you to evaluate the safety... people lie.

dualero said:

Just saying

You could say the same about anyone's ability to drive on a public road, it could be a danger to themselves and everyone around them

That's just it, none of the guys building garage builds are Honda engineers and that should not stop them either, just get some input from people who are skilled at the process and build away. You should test it or have it tested for performance before selling but it's still up to the buyer/owner to know how to operate it safely. I mean shit, I can head over to Home Depot and rent a backhoe but if I didn't know how to run it I could tear down my neighbors house.

Firestones -

marc_knuckle_1.jpg

Tune-A-Fish said:
That's just it, none of the guys building garage builds are Honda engineers and that should not stop them either, just get some input from people who are skilled at the process and build away. You should test it or have it tested for performance before selling but it's still up to the buyer/owner to know how to operate it safely. I mean shit, I can head over to Home Depot and rent a backhoe but if I didn't know how to run it I could tear down my neighbors house.

Haha can't argue with that

Finnigan said:
You could say the same about anyone's ability to drive on a public road, it could be a danger to themselves and everyone around them
have you ever noticed how NO handicap stickered car can put it in a parking space between the lines. There should be a driving test for anyone applying for a handicap tag. If you can't even park it between 2 lines , how safe are you on the open road?

Is there any kind of an agility test where someone can give a motorcycle a rating. Actually test a bike and put it into a certain class or standard? That way when people bark about how shitty a bike looks like it would handle, they could say "yah it was rated a ??? on the custom bike evolution scale." Sort of like Hot Rods go through a test to be the top dog street machine. It has to drive itself to the track, do the 1/4 mile in 8 seconds, out corner a GT40, and idle in traffic for 3 days, all while getting 26 mpg. Maybe someone should come up with a good test and some big bike magazine could publish the results after testing some popular home builds vs. pro built cafe racers.

It's probably quite difficult to create a truly subjective test. I'm 6'4" and 260lbs (ex powerlifter, a lot lighter than at my peak) and used to manhandle my 650 Lead Wing around like Rossi on acid, but I'd overwhelm the suspension and brakes on, say, a Cagiva Mito. Swap that round with my mate who's tiny, and he can chuck a small sports bike around like a pro, but had trouble with a relatively mild GT 550 Kwaka because he simply wasn't big enough to to have A1 contact with bars an pegs.

What works well for one, or what can be managed comfortably by one May well not work for another.

At risk of having my thighs slapped for going off topic (apologies in advance) I find myself in complete agreement with your avatars Mr Miffa.

Back
Top Bottom