My lil Gem of a 1972 LS2 !!!

DreadRock

Bang Cut Grind ..Dam Did I Need That Part ?
DTT BOTM WINNER
So a buddy of mine picked this up from who knows where and the min i saw it tried to talk him into selling it to me ;D Well after awhile he said yea because he said he would never get to it and want it to go to someone that would do something to it and not chop it up. So handed him the money and got it home befor he changed his mind LOL . It needs a few things to start with title,key,going over to adjust things . Which at the price i got it and as clean as it is was well worth it .
First things first get a manual for it which im waiting on befor i do to much other then clean it some more and look at it with a grin .
The plan for it is to leave it alone and maybe add diff bars,pipes nothing else other then fixing a few small thing dont want to do anything that cant be put back to stock if i want . Few other things need looking in to like cleaning inside of the tank has just a small amount of rust and maybe haveing the frame re PCed over the winter. So this is what i have to work with .....
LS2.jpg

LS22.jpg

LS24.jpg

LS25.jpg

LS23.png

LS4.jpg

LS21.jpg

Re:'' My lil Gem " Yamaha LS2 100

Thank you sir !! Did mess with it when wiring on the XS was making me my hair out . First thing was alook at the tank ...
LS27.jpg

As you can will need some cleaning and there are to small dents where it looks like the bars droped down on it . But not bad enough to want to repaint as it and side covers are in over all clean shape. Also the throttle was only twisting maybe a 1/4 so pulled top off right carb and still stuck. Pulled the left off and was stuck but with lil love got it out . Now i really havent messed with carbs ( They scare me ) but going to rebuild these by the looks of it. Im not going to do much more till i get my manual just make a list of what i need to do .

Re: My lil Gem of a LS2 !!!

Wow, what a beautiful bike. The paint job on the gas tank along with the chrome makes that bike look fantastic. The carbs on these bikes look pretty easy to rebuild, so enjoy the process. You know its gonna be a great ride.

Thanks Lucky !

Well still waiting on a manual which should be here today and also will be ordering new carb rebuild kits first of the week .
So been just cleaning everything and making a short list of stuff that needs looked after . Until last night never notice it but the mirror still has the green plastic covering the chrome !
ls222.jpg

Also got the rear tail light area all cleaned up just need to adjust the seat some as it has a small twist ! Im just blown away by how clean this thing really is and that someone had to have it in there house or basement for all this time !
ls333.jpg

Thats a cool find dude. Should be a blast

I'm hopin clem !

Well was out in the shop last night just messing around with the wiring on my other build . After that thought i would pull one of the carbs off the LS and see whats what. Slides look good but the float bowl area is another story . So im on the hunt for rebuild kits which seem lil harder to find then i thought. I've never rebuild carbs befor but want to learn so im going to dive in and see what happens.
carbsss.png

You should buy that parts bike, maybe it has some useful bits that will save you some cash. Plus, you could sell off the rest for profit.

Would justin but low on bike funds :( I made a small list of what the bike will need to try and get it running. Think there is more cleaning like tank,carbs,oil tank,points checked,battery ! Off top of my head think things like Left front turn signal , maybe front fender,and have frame redone is all it needs ! Really want to get it running and titled befor i do much !

Thanks AJ !
And Brad dont know how to reply to that but ...... can we stick to the subject of carbs LOL You going to be heading over to MvR this weekend ? Thanks for the help ahead of time !!!!

Well as it was raining most of the weekend i pulled the carbs off the Gem and cleaned them ! They need a rebuild kit and a good cleaning on the inside. Also got the fuel tank cleaned so onlything i need to do is make sure the oil tank has good oil in it and find a battery for it and fire it up !
newls2.jpg

they came out with the reed valve in 73 model right? wonder if this little guy would benefit or be adapted to one. Wondering how much is in common with the rd 100 model.

Nice bike

From what i understand most of the early years LS2,DS7,R5s didnt have reeds but porting inside and 73 or 74s did and most all have same bottom end so yes you should be able to switch them out ! But on this lil Gem im keeping it as is ! BradJ would know more about it then i tho !!!

Yeah, the upgrade is just a matter of a top end and piston swap. And carbs.

Keeping this as is is definitely the right call though. A few more years and the bike will be worth some good money if kept factory original.

Well not much to do on my XS build so with winter setting in i figured i would start on the LS . First took a few dozen pics of everthing and started to tag all the wiring. Once i started to pull the bike down found theres not much to it lol ! The plan right now is to get it down to the frame and repaint the frame black . Then just go backwards cleaning , polishing and new bolts ,nuts ....
Ls23-1.jpg

lsbones.png

Back
Top Bottom