Tire size help!

nateb

Been Around the Block
Hey guys-So I’m building a 76 cb750. I’m lacing a 17” wheel in the rear. I can use either a 550 or 750 swingarm for the widest tire fit. I would like to run a 140 at least. What can be done?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

http://www.buchananspokes.com/

So you think that SOHC 750 will need that much tire or is this an exercise in "curb appeal"?

There are a few tables out there (Avon has one) to suggest tire:rim width combinations.

But it sounds like you're not sure if a 140 tire will fit in the CB750 swingarm? It might. From what I recall, 130 is tight and might rub the chain guard.

Tim said:
There are a few tables out there (Avon has one) to suggest tire:rim width combinations.

But it sounds like you're not sure if a 140 tire will fit in the CB750 swingarm? It might. From what I recall, 130 is tight and might rub the chain guard.
Thanks for the responses fellas, I’ve decided to use the 550 swingarm in the 750 frame. It looks better to me visually because or it’s rounded tubular swingarm. Where the 750 swingarm is kinda “boxy”. And yes this is absolutely about appeal. I’m using a 2001 gsxr 1000 front end.

Tires are like oil.....................eh..!!!

I'm am about to change my 750 to a swingarm from a 550, due to exactly as you said........the roundness look it has, plus, it's a little longer to help lower it some.

WhyNot said:
Tires are like oil.....................eh..!!!

I'm am about to change my 750 to a swingarm from a 550, due to exactly as you said........the roundness look it has, plus, it's a little longer to help lower it some.
That’s totally what I’m going for. As I mentioned, I’m using a gsxr 1000 front end which will lower it as well. The motor I’m using for this build is a stock 10k mile engine from a 73 750. It has beautiful compression and doesn’t leak so I’m doing nothing to it besides painting, polishing, and perhaps a re jet to accommodate velocity stacks and a 4/1 header. I’ll put an electronic ignition in too. I think with a stock motor pretty much, there is no need for a huge rear tire. I want to ride it not drag race it. I think a 140 rear on a 17” wheel will look great in a 550 swingarm. Then I get the same 17 x 2.50 wheel, lace it to Cognitos 40 hole hub adapter for a Suzuki fork. Btw I’m using Honda wheels. I looked at all my options and found I can source 40 hole 17” aluminum wheels from a hondamatic 750 rear or a mid 70s goldwing rear cheaper that any other 17/2.50. And I’m just going to powder coat them black.

nateb said:
That’s totally what I’m going for. As I mentioned, I’m using a gsxr 1000 front end which will lower it as well. The motor I’m using for this build is a stock 10k mile engine from a 73 750. It has beautiful compression and doesn’t leak so I’m doing nothing to it besides painting, polishing, and perhaps a re jet to accommodate velocity stacks and a 4/1 header. I’ll put an electronic ignition in too. I think with a stock motor pretty much, there is no need for a huge rear tire. I want to ride it not drag race it. I think a 140 rear on a 17” wheel will look great in a 550 swingarm. Then I get the same 17 x 2.50 wheel, lace it to Cognitos 40 hole hub adapter for a Suzuki fork. Btw I’m using Honda wheels. I looked at all my options and found I can source 40 hole 17” aluminum wheels from a hondamatic 750 rear or a mid 70s goldwing rear cheaper that any other 17/2.50. And I’m just going to powder coat them black.

Got a build thread?

Are you documenting the stuff you said?

Be nice to see how all of it looks.

I'm using the 550 front forks as well to get a little lower in front.

Haven't done it yet, need to get my carbs straighten out first.

Cb750 cafe build
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=75160

Back
Top Bottom