'77 RD 400-Balls Deep: Smoking By Spring

VonYinzer said:
Squad... I think you got a bunk light. Ive seen a few of them and all were plenty bright.

Same. Here's mine in action:
http://youtu.be/udxCzpPv4M8

reds said:
So i took some more pic's of where I'm at. Here's the parts I have so far: uprated fork springs and seals, gaitors, steering damper and aluminum fork mount, tapered fork stem bearings, rear shocks (was gonna do remote reservoir, but $$$ was getting a little high for a bike that will only ever be worth $2000 or less), needle bearing swing arm kit, aluminum headlight mounts, LED tail lights W/ signals built in, front signals (i hate the look of signals, but like the function of them. These are bright and i put a penny next to them to show size)
parts1.jpg

and the engine: RZ350 Wiseco pistons, RZ intakes, RZ reed cages, Boyesen reeds, performance clutch springs, Barnett clutch plates:
parts2.jpg

RZ reedcages vs. RD reedcages:
reeds.jpg
reeds1.jpg

So that's where I am currently at. I'll be out in the garage this week, but I will be working on my buddies cylinders and intakes instead. Once their done it'll be full tilt on mine. :D

link for led tails and front turn signals please, they look great!

montessa172 said:
I got two spare 650 headlight buckets with rims.... What's local for you? Lemme know, I'm in Dundas / Burlington / Jerseyville mostly...

I'm in London Ont. You are by Hamilton? I drive to Toronto quite often. Message me a price if don't mind. Thanks

scram1 said:
link for led tails and front turn signals please, they look great!

http://www.kapscomoto.com/

They are in Pickering or Ajax. Really cheap price's. They give dimensions too

Small update. Got to work on my own stuff in the shop today, so started in on the tank. I didn't like the way it sat on the frame and a few other details, plus i needed a spot to mount the petcock. The tunnel was too narrow to mount anything in it so I thought i would make it more usable space and seeing as it was thirsty before, more fuel capacity is the way to go.
pics050.jpg
pics047.jpg
pics035.jpg
pics027.jpg

And since I had the tank cut open, those Benelli fuel tank caps are hard to come by and I believe the one for this tank is plastic, so I picked this up at a swap. Seeing as 98% of the builds on DTT seem to be Honda's, I thought that there must be enough of them to cut up a perfectly mint tank, but i couldn't find one so this clean restorable tank will have to do....hahaha
donortank1.jpg
pics037.jpg
pics042.jpg
pics044.jpg
pics045.jpg

So the first person to buy me a beer gets the Honda tank carcass. It has one dent on either side which look like handlebars hit the tank and it comes with a petcock.

pics039.jpg
pics040.jpg

Hey guys, been a while since I have posted any updates, but I have been pretty busy with other stuff so not too much to update on. Here's what I have been busy with, followed by what has been done with the bike:

Finished off trevors reed valve intakes, porting and engine mods. If you haven't seen his build yet,get the fuck on it!! Jerk off video included!! http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=32683.0

pics020.jpg

pics040-1.jpg

Furnace broke down so I had to rely on the old Triumph to keep us warm while I got that figured out. Thank god it wasn't the bike I had to rely on or I'd have icicles hanging off my ass and a puddle of oil on my floor!! Haha ;)

pics124.jpg

Had a few cranks to rebuild:

pics097.jpg

pics103.jpg

pics120-1.jpg

Plus add work.....:

pics058.jpg

......And family. Shit gets pretty busy quick and there isn't enough hours in the day.
So here is what i have got done in the last little bit.

pics006.jpg

Finished off gastank:

pics001-1.jpg

pics002-1.jpg

pics182.jpg

pics180.jpg

pics204.jpg

pics186.jpg

pics195.jpg

Some of the pic's are shit due to my cell phone going in for repair and the loaner phone being a piece of shit. Who knew metal debry and cell phones don't mix. Ha! :p

Bent up some tube at work to get rid of pressed steel for rear and made swingarm brace:

pics004-2.jpg

pics144.jpg

pics145.jpg

pics146.jpg

Singarm:

pics205.jpg

What do you guys think for gusset tubes. Aerofoil:

pics206.jpg

pics207.jpg

I could even put a "speed" hole in the center of it by welding a tube through it.

Or I rolled some tube and could do this:

pics208.jpg

And this is how the front will be:

pics209.jpg

Also got RZed 350 front sprocket and machined rear RD400 sprocket for 520 chain:

pics212.jpg

pics211.jpg

Difference in chain widths of the two D.I.D O-ring chains was approx. .200"

pics213.jpg

Also got some new rubber. Perelli Sport Demons

pics214.jpg

Got a 7" headlight assembly from an early XS to fit my new H4 headlight.

pics172.jpg

And lastly, I got some stainless #4 brushed sheet offcuts from a bro I hooked up so I can start fabbing up battery and electrical boxes

pics191.jpg

Looks great, I am onboard. But is it me, or is the cowl of the seat look way to long?

Nothing wrong with a Triumph motorcycle or Triumph fireplace.

Thanks guys!

Swan- Nothing wrong with a Triumph of any sort. Well maybe a TR7. ;)

The rear cowl is not what I am running on the bike. It was just something I rolled up and put a slight crown on to give me an idea of what direction I needed/ wanted to go with it. You can see marker lines on one side where i was figuring out length. I actually like the tire to stick further out than the seat. Haven't figured out what I'm doing for the cowl yet.

And Bradj- That's a sweet machine you got there. I need to go through your build thread again. Nice job

Back
Top Bottom