'82 cafe XV750

Cafe-XV750 said:
My batch of wheel conversion parts has arrived - kits will ship out the start of next week!

that`s great , i`m sandblasting my wheels right now cause i think that a lot of aluminium will look great with the frame and the tank and buddy black

Got my kit last week. The machined parts look top notch. I was dog-tired, but I started cutting on my 18" wheel late last night cause I couldn't wait any longer! Everything looks good so far. A grinder with a cut off wheel is not exactly a finesse tool, is it? Ha! I still have to grind the inside of the wheel for the washer clearance. Then, fitment. Project XV springs to life! Yay! Thanks Matt!!!

Here are some pics. Disregard the time stamp. Digicam lost it's memory settings. Too lazy to reset.

100_3005.jpg

XV rear wheel to front conversion kit.

100_3006.jpg

Brake rotor adapter
100_3008.jpg

Drum side cover
100_3003.jpg

Drum side cut
100_3004.jpg

Drive side cut

If anyone wants one of these kits by Christmas, you need to reach me by Fri 12/17 at the latest to setup shipment.

I'm offline 12/20-12/24 so won't be able to handle any shipments during that time.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but it appears that another way to get a 16" front wheel on an older Virago would be to swap the front end with one from a new V-Star 650 classic- they have the same fork stem size, according to the chart. Then you'd also have a spoked front wheel. Just so people are aware there's another option. I prefer the look of the cast 16's, but, hey, diversity, right?

Personally, I'd want a 17" front and rear for performance...but that's me.
The Zero cafe really set you kats on a mission for 16" wheels...heheh

I dunno man, I kinda dig that whole "Exile Cycles" look...... Big fat 16's on both ends.... I think it's just "the look". But I agree. That's why I had a 17 laced to my stock hub.

I've been really lazy on this project and making plenty of excuses to not go out into the cold garage (even heated). Inspiration may be coming soon.

Cafe XV750 - you're to blame for a whole new argument in the Beachcomber household !!!!!!!!!! ;)

I had convinced myself that I would not buy any more projects [ I've reduced them to 5 now ] - but seeing recent pix of "Yamatons" [ TR1 in Norton chassis ] - and several other Cafe Racer TR1 converts had got me thinking that there should also be space amongst my projects for a V Twin. TR1s are not very plentiful here in the UK and I really wanted to go with chain drive as my vision is of a 60's style bike after the fashion of a Norvin.

Then I saw your superb build and although I don't intend to go the fat /small wheels route - you have opened my eyes to the possibilities of the shaft drive models - which are reasonably plentiful / inexpensive here in the UK.

So - I just know you guys will have the answers for me ...............

Even if I go with the shaft drive I still want wire spoked wheels - probably 18" back and front. I can have them built up with alloy rims.

As an alternative on the front I might go for a Grimeca 4LS drum /hub or similar.

Any advice will be welcomed. 8)

yamaton5.jpg

I've gone with 18" Seca wheels (swirly mags). Actually got a call yesterday from powder coating that they were ready to be picked up. WOOT! How would you do a shaft drive rear with spokes? That would really be cool, but I didn't think there was anything made like that?

Hey Reject,

Take another look at the pic I posted - wire spoked / shaft drive.

I don't know enough about the TR1 / XV series [ although I once owned a stocker TR1 ] to have all the answers, that's what I'm hoping for here.

I've opened a new thread on this so as not to mess up XV750's build series.

yamaton5.jpg

Nice! The pic was too dark on my work computer to see the shaft drive/spoke wheel. As an aside, I'm going with '02 black R1 forks and triple. Hope to not spend over $500 for complete front end. Checked on my wheels yesterday and damn, those suckers are purty (gloss black)! I forgot my checkbook (who the hell takes only cash or check nowadays?) and had to turn around and go home. Won't be able to pick them up til Mon. Grrrr...

Update... Wheels back from powder coating with mixed results. Color is wet, wet, wet looking. Verdict, extremely pleased. Issues: powder coating on places where metal should be bare. Verdict, so not pleased. I didn't expect to have to sand my parts!

Drumcovercoated1.jpg

Drum cover where axle goes through...
frontwhubadapter3.jpg

Back side of hub adapter has residue and the male end (white arrow) needs to be bare so adapter can slide on.
Frontwheelwhubadapter2.jpg

Tight fit, no? Ha!
Rearwheelcoated2.jpg

Rear wheel and brake cover. Lips of drum rim and brake cover coated. Stud thing coated...
rearwbrakecover.jpg

Fit is good, but there is some contact. Should I leave alone?!?

Already PM'd him a couple of times and waiting for his latest comment. Just thought I'd show the other XV guys what I encountered. I'm now thinking in hind sight to mark the areas that should be masked with a Sharpie.

Easy peezee, Japanesee! Once again, the Dremmel Tool proves itself an indispensable tool! Used a flap wheel, which are kind of expensive for such little things, and pretty much a one time use attachment. Anyway, it took off the powder coating in nice thin layers. Unless you're ham fisted, you won't remove any metal.

Oh, and anyone follow this blog? Johnny R is pretty cool and answers queries right quick. Very helpful dude.
http://johnryland.posterous.com/if-you-ever-wanted-a-virago#comment

Love the blog and the really nice pics he puts up.

Update of sorts. Having a spare set of Buell XB Showa USD forks, axle, and lower clamp, I got the bright idea to put those on the XV and simply fab up an caliper adapter plate and spacers. I was pleased with this revelation until that is, I realized that the Buell caliper mount is on the right side! Doh!!! Back to R1 front end idea, then...

Back
Top Bottom