www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: CB360's-from build to blog - 2013, MDS (Mo Dumb Shit)  (Read 260253 times)

Offline Swagger

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Putting boot to ass since 1967!
Re: Yet another CB360 ( or two?)
« Reply #60 on: Dec 22, 2009, 20:42:59 »

(sorry for the ramble...no sleep and too much coffee)
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2009, 16:55:27 by Swagger »
.....there's no way that little rice cooker is going 100m/h when the work need to get up to those speeds includes a big fuck off fairing shaped like a giant cock. ~Staffy

Weiner tetanus is nothing to scoff at. ~JustinLonghorn

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #61 on: Dec 23, 2009, 21:05:44 »
Did some more work on hub, took just about all day but its finally 'finished' (maybe, except for cleaning off the grease, painting inside the holes, gluing in the mesh and building into wheel  :D)
 the holes around circumference are 11mm, need to black out inside them
 As I had a piece of almost round alloy scrap 2" long (core drilled the block for clip-on's), I made a bearing spacer for inside the hub, just because.......... (saves over an ounce ) weight about 4lbs, down from 5+lbs.  8)
 Originally I had the machined pieces between fins in alloy, looked a bit much so I cleaned all the caliper paint off and started over  :o
 It's a stupid amount of work for whats basically a cheap bike
Heres some pics, the polished side is actually polished, the 'scratches/scuffs are just oil/grease film

PJ

« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2009, 21:09:45 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline diesel450

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "Fast with a past"
« Reply #62 on: Dec 23, 2009, 21:28:08 »
PJ, That looks money! I wish I'd thought of that for the hubs on my R5. I had the rims powdered black and this would have been a really nice touch. Dammit!

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #63 on: Dec 23, 2009, 21:30:14 »
Looks amazing PJ, very nice work.

What size are the larger holes? Also, what kind of bit do you use to drill the holes?
Perry

1972 Honda CB350 K4 / 1978 Honda XL250S /1982 Honda MB5 / 2014 Honda CB500X

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #64 on: Dec 23, 2009, 22:24:32 »
  don't remember size, inch and half or inch and quarter (I'll measure them tomorrow)
Carefully mark centers where you want holes, pilot drill 1/8" from inside then mount in drill press at low speed  (200rpm?, forget lowest speed on my drill)
 Get a hole saw from Home Depot, about $12~$14.00
Its easier to see where the ribs are inside hub rather than take loads of measurments and work on outside.
 Use a worn down flap wheel to smooth out/de-burr holes.

PJ

Excellent, thanks PJ
Perry

1972 Honda CB350 K4 / 1978 Honda XL250S /1982 Honda MB5 / 2014 Honda CB500X

Offline crazypj

« Reply #65 on: Dec 24, 2009, 14:06:42 »
Just wait til its finished  ;)

don't remember size, inch and half or inch and quarter (I'll measure them tomorrow)
Carefully mark centers where you want holes, pilot drill 1/8" from inside then mount in drill press at low speed  (200rpm?, forget lowest speed on my drill)
 Get a hole saw from Home Depot, about $12~$14.00
Its easier to see where the ribs are inside hub rather than take loads of measurments and work on outside.
 Use a worn down flap wheel to smooth out/de-burr holes.

PJ

I measured the holes, they are inch and half diameter.
 re-reading above post, you flip brake drum over after you have pilot holes in place so you can cut through the end of small rib inside drum, that wasn't made clear and I thought it would be obvious but decided to clarify things just in case anyone tried drilling from 'inside' and got hurt.

J
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)

Offline crazypj

« Reply #66 on: Dec 27, 2009, 01:40:31 »
Had a bit of time today so I built front wheel.
It was only 'out' about 2~3mm of up and down and less than 2mm side/side so truing didn't take long.
 Side by side, the flanged WM3 rim looks huge compared to skinny stock WM1 rim.
 I painted spokes black so there would be some contrast with polished alloy, not sure if I like it, should have gone with a dark red or Honda red but its such a pain painting spokes I'm not doing it over. (maybe next time?)
Still have to glue mesh in place, seemed a better idea to do it after building/truing
 PJ
 Here's before, during and after pics.

all the 'inner' spokes get fitted first.

Built but not trued, I got it to 0.015", may go over it again when I get time and get it below 0.010"
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2009, 01:43:39 by crazypj »

Offline diesel450

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "Fast with a past"
« Reply #67 on: Dec 27, 2009, 01:44:58 »
Looks good man! And black goes with everything, 8) don't worry about it!

Offline miob

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • My bike projects
« Reply #68 on: Dec 27, 2009, 04:11:00 »
I really like those black spokes.

Did you have any trouble respoking, or is that an easy job?

Offline diesel450

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "Fast with a past"
« Reply #69 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:45:36 »
PJ is probably going to have better advice here, but I re-laced some wheels for the first time recently and found it to be pretty easy if you take your time and pay attention. I watched a few how to videos on youtube and then went at it with a homemade stand. The key is when you tighten one you have to loosen two. If you tighten one a 1/2 turn then you loosen the opposite two on either side of it a 1/4 turn each. It took me about an hour each to get them pretty close to perfectly true. I have since obtained a dial indicator, When I do it again I will measure more accurately.