KH100 Bobber Project

lachbeth1125

Hello All,

I enjoyed building the KH cafe so much, I have started another project.
A KH100 Bobber! It may seem a strange bike to Bob, but I think it will be cool 8)
I hope you like so far.

Cheers Jase

khbob1.jpg

khbob5.jpg

khbob2.jpg

khbob3.jpg

khbob4.jpg

Did you find the tank like that or do the work yourself to make it look old? That's awesome!

rextec said:
Sweet project!!! love the patina on the tank!!!!!
+1 Really sick!!
Looks like a perfect frame to bob too. Really cool. I'm digging it!

Thanks Guys,

The tank took me about 30 hours of painting, sanding, peeling, denting, scratching, baking, some headache pills, painting, chipping...................and then clear coat. ;D

I must admit, I am quite happy with the result.

Cheers Jase.

The time invested was totally worth it.
Are you going hard tail? I dig the look so far, and the frame has great lines IMO.

Thanks Mate,
The frame is going to be a hard tail.
The plan is to have a rigid frame (7inch stretch), forward controls, sprung seat , and hand shifter. ;D ;D

Cheers for the feedback :)
Jase

Hello again,

Just playing around on the weekend with another KH tank, and this is what I came up with (Still yet to be clear coated).

Hope you like it,

Cheers Jase

IMG00157-20091115-2118.jpg

Might I suggest using no more than a flat clear on the second tank? Spending 30 hours to "antique" a tank just to make it look brand new by adding a clear coat just doesn't fit. Very interested to see how this turns out.

charlesskelter said:
Might I suggest using no more than a flat clear on the second tank? Spending 30 hours to "antique" a tank just to make it look brand new by adding a clear coat just doesn't fit. Very interested to see how this turns out.

Thanks for the suggestion Mate ;D

I think you are right, and the second (orange) tank, being all flat or non metalic colours would look better flat rather than gloss clear, however, the 53 red and blue tank is exactly the look I was after.
I wanted 53 to look as though it was deliberately built to look old, not just looking like an old tank that as found that way.

Being new to working on bikes, and probably to boost the ego, IMO After doing a lot of work on a bike, I want it to show.

Cheers Jase

Cool deal, I understand your point.

Since it seems like the second tank will probably done in a flat clear (for protection and to keep the aged look) just remember when/if you shoot flat clear, not to sand it and be very careful buffing and waxing it. It will cause it to look more like a gloss clear the more it's messed with.

charlesskelter said:
Cool deal, I understand your point.

Since it seems like the second tank will probably done in a flat clear (for protection and to keep the aged look) just remember when/if you shoot flat clear, not to sand it and be very careful buffing and waxing it. It will cause it to look more like a gloss clear the more it's messed with.

Thanks for the tip mate, appreciate it. ;D I have not used flat clear before, do you have any more tips or tricks of the trade?

Cheers Jase.

The tank does look amazing. You should do a little DIY breakdown of what you put into it/how.

I dont like the second tank. Too blotchy perhaps. The 53 is just too perfect.

love the paint and am hoping you will do a how to so we can see how its done.also how is this progressing hope to see some more soon.nabzy

Glad to see someone bring back this thread. I forgot about it. It's not been updated in quite some time. Hopefully Jase will give us the low down.

Back
Top Bottom