Project oil slinger!

Kanticoy

Mad Science!
DTT BOTM WINNER
With the cafe project coming to a close, I caught Troy's disease and had to start a bob.

It all started when I picked up a hardtail frame from Barber's swap meet for an Ironhead sportster for $100. I was going to mod it for a japanese engine, but I rode my buddy's panhead, and I knew I wanted to build one out of an American V-twin. So I started researching Ironheads. They are raw motors. They rumble and they're loud and obnoxious, and I love them. So I got to searching. I found out that 1982 was the first year after Harley came out of the AMF years after a buyback from shareholders, and as luck would have it I found one on CL in Atlanta for an asking $1000.

I e-mailed him and asked what the minimum he would take was, and he said if I came and got it this weekend he'd let it go for $500. So I couldn't pass it up. It was meant for my frame (which is also VINed as an 82) Perfect union.

I'm not gonna get to elaborate here, because Gretta is getting done before this ever starts, but I though you guys would like a taste.

The kicker is, is my wife is cool with it. For some reason she has a thing for Harleys ::)....little does she know how obnoxiously unorthodox this one will be ;D!!!!

So here are the pics as she came off of the trailer at the house. It runs great, won't shift into first (linkage not adjusted due to redneck floorboards and homemade linkage ::) ) and leaks oil (clutch rod seal is shot) But man will this thing fly!!!!

Came with a brand new screamin' eagle carburetor, a new set of wheels and tires, 4 fenders of various types, a new chain, and a bunch of other random bits. it'll be interesting!

So here she is in all of her ugly beauty! The Oilslinger (not to be confused with the gunslinger)

Picture004.jpg

Picture009.jpg

came with a new cam cover since someone butchered this one...don't worry, she's getting a full overhaul!
Picture006.jpg

love this wicked tail light ::)
Picture008.jpg

genuine Bates headlight:
Picture010.jpg

Random bits:
Picture007.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture001.jpg

So when gretta lives, this one begins her resurrection.

Stay tuned!

you have some good taste my friend...

and damn does that bike have some serious potential!!

cant wait to see this one done, seeing how intrigued i am already by gretta!

Yeah, I love Ironheads man. They're so brutally nostalgic. And there is a lot of 80's trash that has to go from here. Someone tried really hard with her...but it just wasn't happening. Too many mixed interests here. But that's okay. I'm going for something more like this:

Photos8-27-06076.jpg

clipons.jpg

Something deadly oldschool, ya know?

What fun this is going to be. Roll one in before the other is out ;D. Awesome! Your lady is on cool kat!
Great deal on that bike brother and I love your inspiration.

Kiley picked up a hardtail frame a while back and I'm pretty sure it's in the plans. I love the title btw.

Yep. Hard tail. 4" longer, 4" lower. It'll be a knuckledragger!

And the STI is the wife's. She's a badass! 8)

STI's are as gay as AIDs :p sorry but every damn kid wants one and thinks they are fast.

cant wait to see this bike come together...i enjoy following your threads, lots of great ideas.

Great find and great deal!
I'll be tuning in for this one. Also love the look your
going for.

Hey Rocan,

I am leaning toward the 1200 kit for this motor. It'll get a full teardown and rebuild/re-gasket. There is a resident expert here in town that I've known for years and I'll probably let him do he engine work....All he does is HD. He offered to do it for free if I bought the parts. Can't beat that deal! I'll probably throw in a 6 pack or two for him for that price!

And thanks for the the props Pete! I'll get on this one for sure when I get done with Gretta.

And Force, opinions are like....

But I love that car. It has an upgraded turbo running 18 lbs of boost...updated computer with programmer...upgraded downtube, new wastegate and blowoff valve. It was last dynoed at 414 HP at the wheels...I don't know what your interpretation of fast is....but I think this qualifies as being just that....it ran a 12.2 in the quarter on street tires last month.

It will scream.

It's all in good fun man. We just paid her off and mommy didn't buy it. I'm 30 years old and that's what the wife wanted so we bought it....and you know I can't leave anything mechanical alone....as soon as the warranty wore off.... But I know what you mean. Thanks for the props dude. It means a lot.

Kanticoy said:
Yeah, I love Ironheads man. They're so brutally nostalgic. And there is a lot of 80's trash that has to go from here. Someone tried really hard with her...but it just wasn't happening. Too many mixed interests here. But that's okay. I'm going for something more like this:

Photos8-27-06076.jpg

clipons.jpg
Now that's what I'm talkin about.

Something deadly oldschool, ya know?

Nice project!!!! and about STI's..... they are sick cars with awsome engineering, what are you basing your opinions on???? have you driven one??? im a honda fan and still love these cars!

rextec said:
Nice project!!!! and about STI's..... they are sick cars with awsome engineering, what are you basing your opinions on???? have you driven one??? im a honda fan and still love these cars!

EVO is where it's at.

Looks like that knuckle is headed in a much better direction.

I'm kinda biased because I'm a Honda lover....I'm 24 and mommy and daddy didn't buy my car for me an I've had it 3 years. I've got a 06 civic si with a built k24/20 Frankenstein in it. 12.5:1 CR cp pistons eagle h beams balanced to 11,000 rpm tax exhaust cam. Never dynoed because it was street tuned but it's guestimated around 275whp....hope to run it next spring and plan on hitting very low 12's. I don't like turbo or awd cars, I'm more impressed by a all motor 4 cylinder car in the low 12's than an awd turbo car in the 10's not to mention they run out o steam once you hit third gear....and yes I have driven them, I've driven just about every car out there since I used to work for lamborghini Chicago an we took anything in trade. Opinions are like assholes though I agree.....

Anyways get gretta done so we can see this project develop.

I'm on It brotha. She's on the downhill slope. The waiting for parts game is what's killing me. Waiting on carbs....waiting on headlight bucket...wait wait wait. It's cool though for now. I still have plenty to do. Installing the finishing wiring, kickstart lever, shift linkage...etc. But she had my full attention!

Kanticoy said:
Yep. Hard tail. 4" longer, 4" lower. It'll be a knuckledragger!

And the STI is the wife's. She's a badass! 8)

Sounds like an AWESOME project!!

As many cafe racers that I have and am still building.... I honestly can say that my 75 Ironhead is one of my favorite rides!! :) Some of the my friends are still shocked when I pull up on it .....LOL

A Harley for 500 bucks? Dude, thats crazy talk! Over here you'd probably be pushing to find one under a few grand. Deadly jealous right now haha.

Anywho, love that first pic in sepiatone - thats the sort of thing I've always admired...clean, sharp, oldschool.

Brilliant project man, hope it goes well - boingk

Back
Top Bottom