xj700 Ghetto Bob

JapRat

I don't have a build from stock thread. I might be getting another bike to swap some parts over to, if this ones issues aren't fixable without a complete tear down. If that is the case this thread will be much more interesting. I have an 86' Maxim 700 Ghetto Rat Bobbed out. I've got no working instruments, other than neutral indicator and fuel light. I had her running up until today. I've just begun tracing out the problem. It is not starting, no click, nothing from the starter. Also it has a PCV delete and a pod filter in its place on the gear box. When running today, it was blowing oil through the filter. I was think (hoping not) that it was bad piston rings. I need some input on these issues. I am pretty experienced with mechanics for my age (19) and having no formal education. I just need ideas on where to start looking for fixes. I have a lot of rats nest wire harnesses due to all the deletes such as controls and signals. I don't want to do a tear down on this bike. I am without a shop at this point. I would rather start fresh with another cheap xj, if the problems are serious. This bike is well weathered I don't want to put much more money into it. Not much on this bike was done right or safe. As I said it's a Ghetto Rat Bobber.

0616001525.jpg

0616001525a.jpg

If it's blowing oil through the PCV through a filter, it might have too much oil in it. That would be my best guess. Unless your talking about it blowing out your air filters then you would have a serious problem. Check the cables on the speedo, and the tach. If you haven't already try to jumpstart it or get a new battery to try to crank it over.

It looks pretty sweet how it is man.

Back
Top Bottom