Un-kream a tank??

gribbs

Coast to Coast
How would you go about cleaning a tank of a half-assed Kream job? I want to do mine right with POR15, but need to clean out the Kream first.
thanks for any help!

You can also try throwing a small box of dry wall screws in there and shaking the hell out of it or wrap it in an old comforter, duct tape the hell out of it and throw it in your clothes dryer on the lowest heat setting.

hey there, I had to do this on my brothers bike a while back and I found that acetone breaks down kreem . I was told methyl ethyl ketone also works , good luck, Bigjoshl.

I have also read about putting small nuts and bolts inside the tank and shaking everything loose then cleaning out the tank and reapplying a new coat or different product. That's also a long term project I need to undertake for my bike. Good Luck!

I don't know if acetone will work as I don't know much about Kream but, I know the POR-15 coating uses MEK as its solvent. I would try MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) or the POR strip which is methylene chloride same as most paint strippers. Methylene chloride is very nasty stuff. It is a Carcinogen. Don't breath that shit in at all!!!!!

Use rubber gloves and a respirator for any of the above. It's all real nasty shit.

gribbs said:
Acetone sounds easy....can anyone else confirm that? thanks guys for the help!

Yes, acetone will dissolve it, methylene chloride will too, but that is hazmat suit stuff. You may end up with globs still stuck in crevices, you're going to need to blast those with a pressure washer or something to get it 100% out. Definitely pain in the 'nards.

Acetone has worked for me. I'm a fan of both Redkote and POR15, but if you use Redkote there are fewer steps and you can dilute it with acetone (or not worry about getting all of the acetone out as you use the Redkote). Acetone may take a while to get through the Kreem, but shaking it around with something in the tank (a chain, screws and bolts, etc.) will hasten the process.

Back
Top Bottom