'72 CB750 - Should I or Should I not go for it?

S

Scarcat

Hi All,

I've been offerred by a friend of mine a pair of '72 CB750s in ratty condition for a decent price. Essentially both art broken down parts bikes, but between them I should be able to get one working.

I've never worked on a CB750 before. Thus I have a number of questions:

1) Parts - Difficult or easy to find?
2) Parts - Do they still make disposable things like gaskets for this bike?
3) Effort - Hard to work on? Do I need special tools?
4) Most common issues?

if i do go for it, I'm thinking of playing with the geometry a bit ... custom seat ... clips ons ... custom faring ... rear sets , etc. etc.

Thoughts?

Allo...

Welcome to the forum... <----- this is why i should pay more attention.......HA! i need to stop staring at computer screens :)

These answers are based on my experiences, others may have different answers.

1) Parts for the bigger CB's and CBs in general are fairly easy to find. Thats a big reason that they are such popular bases for cafe bikes and other mods. I'm not saying that they are plentiful, but of all the older bikes, you're pretty safe with a CB.
2) Yes gasket kits are still made and can be found alot of places.
3) Hard to work on....depends on the amount of and type of experience you've had working on bikes. but generally speaking, no harder than any other, just 4 cyl instead of 2 (if thats what you;ve worked on before) Carbs can be a bit trixxyer since you have to sync four but if you're pretty good with them then for the most part they;re pretty easy going.
4) Most common issues....heh, years of abuse, misuse and general unkemptedness (is that a word?) Hondas are one of if not the most dependable bikes in the world. As such some owners tend to take it for granted and slack on upkeep. Also, THE SINGLE ABSOLUTE WORST thing for a bike is to sit. With fluids in it or not, downtime is the bane of a bikes existance.

Do your home work. Thousands of online sites regarding CBs...they are popular as hell. Google away... Hope this helps a little.

Scarcat said:
Hi All,

I've been offerred by a friend of mine a pair of '72 CB750s in ratty condition for a decent price. Essentially both art broken down parts bikes, but between them I should be able to get one working.

I've never worked on a CB750 before. Thus I have a number of questions:

4) Most common issues?

if i do go for it, I'm thinking of playing with the geometry a bit ... custom seat ... clips ons ... custom faring ... rear sets , etc. etc.

Thoughts?

hey Bro,
I think, you should definately pick them up!!.. now that the beemer is practically done, the cb750 is a cool easy project that you can use as a rat bike!!..LOL!!..( louder than mine thought!!,.)

Here are my thoughts:
- super easy, especially on ebay. At most swapmeets, you'll find that people are giving parts for the cb750 away!!..

- these guys have the best complete gaskets kits: http://www.cyclexchange.net/
- the best price too

- If you can rebuilt that beemer, you can definately rebuilt a cb750 motor.
- there are a lot of resource material for that motor and there are a lot of running cb750 motors sitting around for cheap

4) Most common issues?
- Since those motors are bullet proof, people tend to abuse them.

GO FOR IT MAN!!...

I have an extra front brake Master cylinder for ya...You'll have to rebuild it.

locOleoN said:
I have an extra front brake Master cylinder for ya...You'll have to rebuild it.
i'll try sunday at milton see if can find one that dont need rebuilding, if cant i'll take you up on that what would you want for it?
assuming this the one that blew a seal at timhornton's it exact style i wanted put on bike anyways.

pyro139 said:
i'll try sunday at milton see if can find one that dont need rebuilding, if cant i'll take you up on that what would you want for it?
assuming this the one that blew a seal at timhornton's it exact style i wanted put on bike anyways.

I have another one thats from a 78 cb750K with an internal brakelight switch that I was going to put on my bike.
This one is really good, no play on the lever and I had cleaned it out and tested it.

Go for the pair of 72 750's... These old girls are coming back as memorabilia now. If you do one up NICE regardless if it will be stock or modified, it will turn heads!
Any old school biker's will know a SOHC.

ok. Gonna go for it. Thanks for the advice y'all. Now I gotta find room for 4 bikes. oi.

You've made the right call.

I have a 76 that I " rode hard and put away wet" for about ten summers straight. Shifting near redline ALOT! That's how you suprise guys on crotch rockets by staying with them (ok maybe not WITH them but not far behind that's for sure).

I've said it before: If you have a manual and a pulse you can work on this motor.

Back
Top Bottom