72 Honda CL350 Bobber

light.jpg

Troybilt, I completely agree about the fitment of the motor. I think I am going to weld in a new cross member for the down tube to connect to a few inches farther back. I had the guy at the fab shop leave alot of extra tubing on each end of the back bone so I should have plenty of material to move in back.

Good call on the string from the steer tube to the center of the rear axle. It will be nice to see if the angle iron braces held it alright or not. I plan to tack the backbone in and make the sure the motor fits before I weld it completely. It would kill me to have to cut the frame again haha.

One of my future concerns is motor mounts. I have none of the stock motor mounts in place any more so I have to start from scratch. It seams like it will be very difficult to get the motor lined up correctly. But like I said it is a future concern. I will make sure the motor fits in the space before I worry about mounts.

I hadnt thought about the length of backbone. I will have to check that. In a perfect world my finished bike would have a cole foster jammer tank on it but that tank maybe too large for the bike.

Thanks for the advice Troybilt! Always helpful and insightful!

My94f2, thanks for the diagram. I am not an electrical guy so the diagram is much appreciated. I was wondering if I wanted to use 2 of those lights ( one on each side) for turnsignals and brake lights, how would that work?

I tested the wiring for the tail light wiring....I started with a 470ohm resistor but had to go to a 10ohm to get the desired effect. I love radio shack! You can find any electrical component you need. I think I am going to go to a 2 inch diameter light because the 2.5 is too big. I just picked up mounting brackets from napa that they special ordered for me. I got 2 pig tails and 2 light mounting brackets for $4.26 total! I think they forgot to charge me shipping but I can't complain! Not sure if I am going to run turn signals or just a tail/brake light. Legally I don't think I have to run turn signals in wisconsin but I might get sick of hand signals lol.

I think this tank is going to be my first big purchase of the build.
colefostertank.jpg

The rig on the top of the tank would look awesome with a old ford spare tire cover for a rear fender because it has the same rig.

I have looked at those Triumph tanks. There is a local motorcycle shop that has one but it is pretty beat up. The guy wasnt sure if he wanted to sell it. I think I can get that Cole Foster tank for around $230. Here is a tank I made back in high school. It is kinda rough but I like the general shape. I wanna get the backbone in so I can see how it looks. I think it is a little small to use but I have been waiting several years to see how it looks on a bike.

MyTank3.jpg

MyTank2.jpg

MyTank1.jpg

It would look better without the rust.

you can always get a piece of 1/4" round bar and stitch weld it on the tank and mold it in

That tank is killer man. A little body work, and youre golden. Hell man, Id be hard pressed not to use a tank that I built on a bike like this. On my 350 chop, Im running a tank thats barely a gallon. But, when you get 50mpg, its not to bad. Not like these small displacement hardtails are real highway bikes anyway.

Thanks Man! Yeah I think I will try smoothing it out with some bondo. U can't really see in the pics but I the top is pretty lumpy lol. I used a ball peen hammer and an old leather purse filled with sand and covered in duct tape to form the domed top. I made the mistake of using 18ga sheet metal and it was harder to form than I thought.

Yeah I saw your tank. It looks cool and thats all that matters. Plus the more you have to stop for gas, the more complements u will get from people pumping gas ;D !

Not much progress but I thought I would share a pic. I have to modify the tunnel on the tank a bit to fit the new backbone. Also I have to put together some kind of steel work bench or motorcycle lift for further mock up. The motor is just sitting in the frame right now.
BikeMotor.jpg

I wish I had more to report. I removed the stock cross member where the stamped backbone used to connect between the lower frame rails. I also made a new cross member that will be mounted a couple inches farther back than the stock one to allow more room for the motor.

When I was looking at the frame the other day I noticed that the down tube crooked to the left a little so i rigged up this redneck frame straightener and was able to move the down tube back into alignment with the rest of the bike. I spent a good amount of time looking at and measuring the frame when I was done tweaking it and I think it is fine.
FrameStraigtener.jpg

Its nice to know that the old chevy venture has some use left in it even if it is only being used as a weight lol! Used the angle iron for a pry bar.

basementhardtail68 said:
I wish I had more to report. I removed the stock cross member where the stamped backbone used to connect between the lower frame rails. I also made a new cross member that will be mounted a couple inches farther back than the stock one to allow more room for the motor.

When I was looking at the frame the other day I noticed that the down tube crooked to the left a little so i rigged up this redneck frame straightener and was able to move the down tube back into alignment with the rest of the bike. I spent a good amount of time looking at and measuring the frame when I was done tweaking it and I think it is fine.
FrameStraigtener.jpg

Its nice to know that the old chevy venture has some use left in it even if it is only being used as a weight lol! Used the angle iron for a pry bar.
Dude I hate to say it but this scares me. Frame work needs to be done with everything kept square and plumb. Usually done with an angle finder and lots of bracing. If something is out enough that it can be seen with the naked eye then the angles are way off. Harbor freight sells a cheap angle finder for less than $5 and it works. It will tell the angles way closer than the human eye can see.
I don't mean to preach but normally, if you dont have a frame jig the motor is left bolted in. If anything has to be cut braces are first welded in so nothing moves. One or two degrees out (can't be seen with the eye) and a bike can be unsafe or unrideable .

basementhardtail68 said:
Not much progress but I thought I would share a pic. I have to modify the tunnel on the tank a bit to fit the new backbone. Also I have to put together some kind of steel work bench or motorcycle lift for further mock up. The motor is just sitting in the frame right now.
BikeMotor.jpg
This is exactly what I'm talking about. What is there to keep the steer tube, backbone and the axle plates plumb and straight? there is always stress in a frame. As soon as its cut things move unless its braced.

100% agree, to be honest unless you have a press, dials, and lazer levels you will never get this frame strait again... i would look for a new frame and brace the piss out of it, the start over... if not man it is just not going to be safe... i am not preaching here just saying. our shop does so many insurance jobs lately and if a frame is even tweeked they scrap the bike 100% the adjuster was telling me horror storries about guys that thought the frames where "ok"
better safe than sorry on 2 wheels brohter

Troy,
I understand everything you are saying and I have thought about everything u mention before. I am not concerned with the straightness of the frame. I have run a string from the steer tube to the center of the axle and everything appears to be straight as well as putting a piece of tubing through the steer tube to make sure it is align correctly. Ideally i would be using a jig but I'm not. I am always cautious about the safety of my projects and this one is not out of control yet. Stick with me on this frame for a little longer and I think your concerns will go away. It is not like I am going to be riding it tomorrow or anything. Lots of work to come. My main goal is getting a steel work bench set up. This way I can tack fixtures to it. I appreciate the concerns and you continuing to follow the build.

Joe,
First, I'm not going to junk the frame. I think that is just a bit drastic to assume that the frame is junk because it is not braced all over. Second, I hear what your saying about the safety of the frame but I don't think it is at that point yet. Just as I told Troy, stick with me a little longer and I'll show you that it isn't. I'm not gonna try and ride a screwed up frame. I'm not an idiot. Appreciate the advice.

Back
Top Bottom