The Mosquito! (KZ250)

Re: The Mosquito!

To get rear sets on this thing, I'd have to fab up a bracket to mount them WAY back.... Draw a vertical line down from the upper shock bolt. That's about where they'd need to be to get me to fit on it. Too much or ???

Just put them way back there then and don't fret about it.
It's not like it will be a challenge for you!
:)

The front of the seat should be almost vertically above the swingarm pivot (or slightly back from there) as a general rule of thumb and peg position would be say 2" straight back from there more or less in line with the swingarm.

In those pics, you are both sitting too far back. Think Mass centralization - sitting over the front end improves handling.

If that causes a knee-elbow interface problem, try to get a set of swan neck bars that pull your arms lightly further forward or raise the bars slightly so your arms are higher than your knees.

That goes back to A) it being such a small bike, and B) it being based on a cruiser frame.

Even the stock seat had the mass pushed back and the footpegs lower than the swing arm/rear axle. Look at the peg position and the rear axle bolt. They are both stock.

I really don't think I can move the seat forward. I mean, yeah...I CAN move the seat forward, but then I really wouldn't fit on this thing. To get my crotch over the swing arm pivot would put my shoulders over the triple tree. It's just a tiny bike for a six footer. If I was 5'6", it might not be such a big deal.

I know what your saying about being 6'1". I'm the same height and just hit 210 pounds. I find it hard to fit on most bike. Rode a friend of mine's R1, that thing felt tiny. Except Busa's. Those are built for tall people. My old 1974 H2 750 fit me pretty good. But, my favorite bike in the whole world are small displacement, smaller bikes. No idea why. I have a 1988 YSR 50. Love that bike. My buddy has a Derby 60, I want to buy. But I look so funny riding it. As long as I'm having fun, it should not matter. I have not played with rear sets on my 1978 CB550 yet. After I make up a cafe style seat, I will tackle the rear sets. So I'm happy to see a few ideas on placement. Plus, I will need to sign up for some Yoga classes to learn how to bend my legs in half. Sounds easy enough.

OK, I couldn't stand it. After seeing the pics and my awkward seating position, plus listening to the feedback here, we went back to the drawing board.
We mocked up some mounts for the rear set pegs. I may end up making this a whole triangle (with some fancy speed holes for cosmetics) so that we can get more weld on the frame tube, but you get the idea.
This was just one change we made to get my frame to fit the bike.
P3060003Small.jpg

We also cut off about 1 3/4" of the seat. This REALLY helped the proportions of the bike and moved my butt closer to the center of mass on the bike.
It also helped me stretch my legs back and down to the relocated pegs.
P3060006Small.jpg

Here's a before and after. If you look closely, you can see I moved the clip ons forward and down on the forks. All of this helped me stretch out.
Oh yeah....I also had a buddy pull out the knee dent in the tank.

Before:
P3040086Small.jpg

After:
P3060008Small.jpg

I think it really cleaned up the lines of the bike, don't you? Better proportions, overall.
We also fiddled around with the rear set linkage mock up, which told us that we'll have to do something about the exhaust. The reverse cone muffler I have will foul the linkage. I'll run a straight pipe with a baffle if needed, but I'd really like to find a small diameter megaphone if possible. The exhaust will have to be the last thing we figure out.
P3060007Small.jpg

The position of the seat is exellent. Good move, the bike looks porportioned nicely! Its gonna be one nice bike!
Kev

Looks good man. These little bikes are an absolute blast to ride. You wont be breaking any recordsm but it feels like it the whole time.

Looking much better. I should have been a little clearer in my last post. When I mentioned the seat further forward I meant yours....

It is looking good now and those footpeg mounts will make a huge difference.

Well, this sucks! After stripping the tank to bare metal and getting it into primer so we could start body work, I noticed a little spot that just didn't look right.
A little poking around and this is what I found. It sucks, because looking in from the neck the tank appears spotless. I have a buddy who was willing to repair it, but I've had enough of rotten tanks.
P3090017Medium.jpg

P3090019Medium.jpg

So I sprung for one of these! Vintage, NOS Mojave tank with correct cap. Correct petcocks are on the way, too.
We mocked up some new brackets to mount the tank...it's completely different than the TS tank. I LOVE this look better anyway.
It's a good bit longer than the TS tank so we cut another 2.75" off the seat (not shown in these pics). That gives me the long tank/short tail look that I was originally wanting anyway.
P3170038Small.jpg

I would have never picked the yellow, but it's kinda growing on me. I have some questions about matching it though...
Not so much matching the color, but will modern clear coat be TOO shiny on the tail piece? And can I clear over the old paint on the tank to make it match?
And what about side covers? I don't want them yellow, too....that would be just too much. Maybe a silver to match the wheels or???
It would be a shame to strip a tank in such great shape just to change the color. What do to, what to do....
P3170039Small.jpg

P3170040Small.jpg

Oh yeah...and that little filler piece underneath the rear of the tank? Perfect place for my neutral light, headlight switch and maybe even the key...don't ya think? That would clean up the triple tree a little bit more.

scott s said:
Perfect place for my neutral light, headlight switch and maybe even the key...don't ya think? That would clean up the triple tree a little bit more.

I'm not sure I'd like the thought of all those sharp pointy things staring straight at the goolies, if you know what I mean? :eek: I also wonder about the ergonomics of that as a mounting location?

Don't let that stop you tho'.

Love that tank. Much better.

ian

To make a mount for the Mojave tank, my Dad bent up a strip of metal to match the rear curve of the tunnel.
P3220063Small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom