gs1000 + sv650 = gsv1000pos pics fixed!! 雄牛

RedPlastic

make it rain bitches
So I got a race horse deal on two bikes, a gs1k and a gs550. So I called up my pops and decided to split the deal with em and he bought the 550, and I got the 1k. So I got the bike in running condition for the princely sum of $275. (550 for both bikes).
imag0048z.jpg

So after a bit of sitting arround having a few cold ones, I decided to drag out the old 2k model sv650 I had aquired for free that some idiot had wrecked it. Something about riding a wheelie on a sv for an extended period of time will lock up the motor, and I would imagine this would really suck expecially when your on the back wheel.

So lets see what interchanges, nothing like having a 30yr old litre bike with modern suspention and brakes to me! I started with the rear swing arm, might as well make a mono shock out of it. I have to note, after changing the bushings in the gs swing arm with the bushings in the sv swing arm, it was just about a bolt up affair. The only thing I had to do was sand down the "tube" on the rear of the swing arm, and it bolted right in.
imag0049a.jpg

I soon realised the drag bars that were on it wernt gonna cut it, so I drug out the clubman bars that I have from the old cb project Ive been meaning to do something with. (another project for another day, its gonna be a bobber or a brat).
imag0050o.jpg

imag0051vi.jpg

Well soon after that mock up I did change the rear tire with the gs one on the sv swing arm. I soon decided I would rather have the more modern brakes, and the more modern looking wheels. Not to mention there wasnt a good solution to mount the caliper stay on the swing arm for the gs caliper. ( sure wish I had the capiblilty to weld aluminum).

So soon after that, the front looked way outta place so I said what the hell, ill try and fit the sv front to the gs frame.

imag0052mr.jpg

imag0053z.jpg

Again, pretty much a straight bolt up affair, I just changed the bearings with the gs ones and it bolted right in. The only thing I really had to do was grind the "lock" off the fork tube on the frame to allow it to turn.

Here is where I am right now, I have the mono shock mocked up in the frame with nice 1/4" brackets. Ive got the rake set to 25 deg with me setting on it, so hopefully im close to where I need to be before I burn it in.
imag0054m.jpg

Yes I know I really need to do something with that big ass tank sitting on there. Im open for suggestions along with the tail section, thats still up in the air. So flame on! Lets hear it!

Re: 1980 gs1k + 2k sv650 = gsv1000rr?

Man you are one lucky son of a gun with those bikes mixing together like that. Looks sick so far. I'd say cut the foam to your liking on the seat pan and build your onw cafe seat out of fiberglass. then if you can put some knee indents in that gas tank. Voila, you already have a sick cafe racer. I'm not gonna lie. I'm jealous that you project seems to be coming together like that. Mine is just taking me so much more time than i expected.

fucking AWESOME.

ditch that motor guard... looks weird. then i would hack the rear of the frame completely off, and weld in your own custom piece, using curved seat stays to really show off that mono shock. keep the rear end super short, and this thing will look AWESOME.

That front wheel has a huge flat spot. I'm sure you know that...? if not, you do now. Bike looks good. Def ditch that tank imo.

Re: Re: 1980 gs1k + 2k sv650 = gsv1000rr?

Swapmeet Louie said:
That front wheel has a huge flat spot. I'm sure you know that...? if not, you do now. Bike looks good. Def ditch that tank imo.
Definitely aware of it, a new one is on my list of shit to buy/beg for.

Got bondo! I hate people who think they can to body work! Back to drinkin'..... I mean stripping.
4757c0dc-ad4b-cbe7.jpg

Instant bondo just add water, I think I easily wire wheeled 1/2 a gallon
4757c0dc-ad6b-05aa.jpg

Time to cut it up
4757c0dc-ad88-5669.jpg

Opinion: With all those tools chests, you have no excuse to have a shop that messy ;)

or is that a fact?

looks GOOODDD... again.... take a torch to the back of that frame ;)

Rocan, as many pictures as i have seen of your work area I'm sure you know how easy it is to just let stuff build up. I have never seen the indents go all the way to the frontof the tank before, But i think it looks pretty darn good!

lol, red it really doen't look that bad to me. I have friends that you can't even walk into the shop. If you wanna work on something you have to pull half the shop out to get to it.

Now if I can finger out where the eff to put this damn battery! Ps... The evaporust isn't worth a shit! Guess I gotta go get some acid.

Re: 1980 gs1k + 2k sv650 = gsv1000pos?

Back after it, man I hate fucking hacks! Looks like I'm going to have to rewire the whole mothfuckle!
4757c0dc-aeb4-cae3.jpg

Gee, I wonder if it was charging? !
4757c0dc-aecb-dc04.jpg

Looks like its gonna be a wild turkey night, and not the shitty 80 proof either!

How are the sprockets lining up front to rear? is there any offset to it?

haplo_84 said:
How are the sprockets lining up front to rear? is there any offset to it?

sprockets line up great, i used the sv650 sprockets. again just a straight bolt up affair, though i had to use a bushing to get the front sprocket to line up with the rear. Ive got to order a 130 link 525 chain for it though. Im working on getting the stupid stator/flywheel/bullshit thing off the gs motor, and so far its kicking my ass

Wow man, too cool! Great start so far, I'll definitely be following this build.

Back
Top Bottom