www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 75 CL360 Cafe Build  (Read 24997 times)

Offline MrMister

Engine
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2011, 23:58:26 »
I bought an engine a couple of months ago, and finally got around to working on it a few days ago. The kick start would only sometimes turn over, so i knew there had to be something broken in there. Pulled it apart and found a few pieces of the bottom engine casing is buggered. Turns out it must have heppened before. The kickstart recoil was loose and destroying everything in its path. Whoever worked on it before just used a bolt to attach it to the engine case again and when it came loose (again) it broke a few pieces in there causing them to get jammed in the gears. Top it all off, because the kickstart was no longer attached to the recoil spring it just went around in circles breaking the side cover, so (whoever) just patched it up with steel epoxy or something.
So had to get a new bottom half engine case, and kickstart recoil spring.
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2011, 00:02:56 by MrMister »

Offline MrMister

Engine 2
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2011, 23:59:53 »
New engine case and recoil spring  ;D

Offline MrMister

Engine
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2011, 00:07:30 »
Looks like the entire top end was rebuilt not too long ago. Pistons and valves look practically brand new. Couple of rings broken on the pistons, thats about it.

Offline TFWG

• CL350 Project
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2011, 01:27:33 »
That will look awesome! I don't even notice the pipes getting hot at all with the shield on. I am actually removing the high pipes and putting on a custom system that goes under the engine. I want to leave the midsection open, so the high pipes must go! I got the universal rear sets from Fast from the Past.

Looking forward to watching this thread! Have fun!
1971 CL350 Project In Progress
350racer.blogspot.com

Offline jeffreyhardy

• Jeffrey
    • jeffreyblogs.com
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2011, 03:46:52 »

Thanks, i hope so  ;D
How do you find the side pipes? Do you burn your leg now and then?

I have a set of the side pipes I can sell you for cheap  Just pulled them off my CL350 which is the model they came on. They are in GREAT condition!

Offline MrMister

« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2011, 10:13:30 »

I have a set of the side pipes I can sell you for cheap  Just pulled them off my CL350 which is the model they came on. They are in GREAT condition!

Thanks really appreciate it, but the shipping to australia would probably twice as much as the price. I saw this one pick of custom 2 into 1 pipes that look really good. So i was thinking of trying something like that later on. But i think ill just get some short down facing headers or something for now. Luckily dont have to worry about mufflers over here on bikes before 1974 i think.

Offline MrMister

« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2011, 10:17:30 »
That will look awesome! I don't even notice the pipes getting hot at all with the shield on. I am actually removing the high pipes and putting on a custom system that goes under the engine. I want to leave the midsection open, so the high pipes must go! I got the universal rear sets from Fast from the Past.

Looking forward to watching this thread! Have fun!

Cool thanks, i checked out your blog site too. Quite a bit done already. Yeah if i do end up going with the side pipes ill either have them without the mufflers and just heat wrap them, or do a 2 into one custom, but im not sure where ill start with trying to set that up over here.

Offline BarnBurner

« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2011, 12:05:07 »
I thankfully haven't burned my leg yet. I'm missing the heat shield for the pipes so I could see it happening, though. I'm considering wrapping them if I can't find the part.
Old motorcycles never die, they just wait.

1971 Honda CL350
1968 Aermacchi/Harley Davidson Rapido
1967 Ducati Monza Jr. 160
1966 Honda CA100
1965 Honda CL77

Offline TFWG

• CL350 Project
« Reply #18 on: Mar 23, 2011, 14:09:31 »
I tried the stock 2 into 2 headers without mufflers and they are ungodly loud. I was afraid I was going to lose my hearing so I shut the engine off in a hurry. There is a difference between sounding 'cool' and just freakin loud.  ;D
1971 CL350 Project In Progress
350racer.blogspot.com

Offline MrMister

« Reply #19 on: Mar 24, 2011, 02:21:31 »
I tried the stock 2 into 2 headers without mufflers and they are ungodly loud. I was afraid I was going to lose my hearing so I shut the engine off in a hurry. There is a difference between sounding 'cool' and just freakin loud.  ;D

Haha, True, also not a good idea to attract too much attention either. Get pulled over for noise pollution then get fined for missing the chain guard or whatever  :o  All important points to consider.
Have to thank you too. When i had a look at your blog i saw how nice your forks came out with just the polish, so i went and got some yesterday to shine up the wheels and forks and they came out brilliantly.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2011, 02:24:20 by MrMister »