75 CL360 Cafe Build

Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

That's pretty funny. I already have my next project in mind as well. I'd like to do a 60's Honda Grand Prix bike, kinda like the 1961 RC162.

There's a pretty big Vintage club here in Venice, CA, so I might try and get into that when it's all done. Otherwise, you see mostly brand new Ducatis racing up the canyon roads.

rc162.jpg

TFWG said:
That's pretty funny. I already have my next project in mind as well. I'd like to do a 60's Honda Grand Prix bike, kinda like the 1961 RC162.

There's a pretty big Vintage club here in Venice, CA, so I might try and get into that when it's all done. Otherwise, you see mostly brand new Ducatis racing up the canyon roads.

Looks pretty cool. I just came across a race bike Honda made in the early 60s called the 250 6 (rc166) and 350 6 (rc174). Honda made 250 fourstroke 6 cylinder racebikes and later bored the same engines up to 300 for the 350 class. Theres a few videos on youtube and they sound absolutely insane.

Very bored waiting for the bike to get back from getting painted. Waiting for the gaskets and oils seals to arrive in the mail before overhauling the engine. Bored bored bored...

CBdublin said:
nothing like pushing 100mph on a tire 3 inches wide :D

Very true. My previous bike was a 89 Yamaha FZR250R, they pretty much have the same width as the CB's just a smaller diameter i think. Redlining at 18,500 screaming at 160kph. Was fun untill it got a top end knock doing 150. So i decided to stick with low revving from now on :p

CBdublin said:
nothing like pushing 100mph on a tire 3 inches wide :D

Speaking of which. What size tyre is everyone running? Whats the best for performance/handling?

well i recently bumped up to a rear 120/90-18 and front 90/90-18. love the extra stability but feel like the larger rear keeps me a bit upright if you will. I would prefer now to have a 110/90-18 on the back.

I recieved the frame back from getting painted and it looks really good. Still waiting for the tank, seat and other bits to get done. In the meantime ive been working on the engine, and had quite a bit of work that needed to be done.The valve seats where in very bad shape so i got them reseated. Cleaned the entire engine. Got new piston rings, ordered new gaskets, oil seals and some new stainless bolts that have yet to arrive. I took advantage while the engine is apart and painted the head black with high temp paint. Also found out that the vlave inlets have been ported and polished at some point, so thats a nice bonus ;D

Attachments

• frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 508

Put the engine back together this week with the aid of another enthusiast to help with the timing and torquing the bolts correctly. And i must say it came out better than expected. ;D Had a bit of trouble with the kickstart mechanism as it prevented the engine from turning backwards, and after re-openning the bottom half of the engine case found that the little metal bracket that comes on after the springs was bent open preventing the kickstart gear from disengageing.

Attachments

• P1030472.jpg
    P1030472.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 480
  • P1030477.jpg
    P1030477.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 494

I'm just catching this build Mr. I like that color blue, but it can be tough to pull it off on the frame. So I wanna see you do it!

As far as the tires go, you will be limited by the width of the wheels. Avon's are a really good choice but here's a little chart to point you in the right direction for sizes: http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/tyrerim.htm

71 CB350 Cafe Project

Same damn thing happened to me with the kickstart. I had it installed turned 180 degrees so it would never disengage. 'Twas frustrating since I found out after the engine was already in the frame. The good thing is that you can access the kickstart without disassembling the head. Saved a bunch of time.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. I actually asked for a slightly lighter color blue, but i think this would work alright too. Im getting everything besides the tank back tonight, so looking forward to start putting some of it together.

Big Rich said:
I'm just catching this build Mr. I like that color blue, but it can be tough to pull it off on the frame. So I wanna see you do it!

As far as the tires go, you will be limited by the width of the wheels. Avon's are a really good choice but here's a little chart to point you in the right direction for sizes: http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/tyrerim.htm

Seems to be a problem area then. Hows your paint work coming along? Im getting all the little bits back tonight, and finalizing the stripes on the seat. And the tank is still getting repaired. So hopefully wont be too long before i get everything back for assembly. Are you kepping the origional wiring harness?

TFWG said:
Same damn thing happened to me with the kickstart. I had it installed turned 180 degrees so it would never disengage. 'Twas frustrating since I found out after the engine was already in the frame. The good thing is that you can access the kickstart without disassembling the head. Saved a bunch of time.

The paint is going pretty slow at this point. The painter was pretty backlogged and is just starting it now. Latest reports point to being totally done in about two weeks. I can't wait to get it back. I'll post tons of pics when it's back.

I replaced the coils and the condenser, got a modern solid state rectifier and made my own wiring harness. I took a lot of the electrics off like the electric starter and the turn signals, so I didn't need a lot of the original harness. My wiring is really simplified, and it still turned out relatively complicated. I'm happy with how it turned out though. I like the simplicity of it. If something goes wrong, I can pretty much fix it right away which is awesome.

Are you painting the seat yourself?

Yeah im planning on doing my own harness aswell. I had the seat painted as well, he asked me to come by to confirm the stripe. I got it (and a bunch of other bits) back today, so really excited ;D Will post pics

TFWG said:
The paint is going pretty slow at this point. The painter was pretty backlogged and is just starting it now. Latest reports point to being totally done in about two weeks. I can't wait to get it back. I'll post tons of pics when it's back.

I replaced the coils and the condenser, got a modern solid state rectifier and made my own wiring harness. I took a lot of the electrics off like the electric starter and the turn signals, so I didn't need a lot of the original harness. My wiring is really simplified, and it still turned out relatively complicated. I'm happy with how it turned out though. I like the simplicity of it. If something goes wrong, I can pretty much fix it right away which is awesome.

Are you painting the seat yourself?

So last minute i decided against the silver and went with a pearl white, and i think it was a good decision. Still just waiting for the tank and fork covers.

Attachments

• P1030515.JPG
    P1030515.JPG
    315.4 KB · Views: 507

In the meantime ive been working on upholstering my seat. First i grinded the edges off the seat for the look i want. I used a steel grade epoxy to keep the flange nuts in place. I decided the nuts would be better on the top part rather than the bolts because it would be easier to get the vinyl wrapped underneath. Ive already covered the seat with polyurethane foam, and just waiting for the glue to dry.

Attachments

• P1030525.JPG
    P1030525.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 483
  • P1030527.JPG
    P1030527.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 492
  • P1030530.jpg
    P1030530.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 498
  • P1030533.jpg
    P1030533.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 489

Mr, your paint scheme is rad. That blue frame is absofuggenlutely KILLER.

The blue and white is just like my Gladius :) , the blue is awesome. Is it rattle can? If so, what colour? I may need some for a project I'm working on for the Gladius and it looks like a good match.

Thanks, I like the GT40 scheme you've got going. I was actually thinking about those colours as an option.

Ringo said:
Mr, your paint scheme is rad. That blue frame is absofuggenlutely KILLER.

Thanks. No i had it painted. I tried rattle canning it myself, but the paint just chipped too easily, even with epoxy enamel. Funny, i actually asked for a lighter blue, but i like this more ;D

HerrDeacon said:
The blue and white is just like my Gladius :) , the blue is awesome. Is it rattle can? If so, what colour? I may need some for a project I'm working on for the Gladius and it looks like a good match.

Back
Top Bottom