The 77 750B Aluminum swingarm conversion.

TonUpSoldier

bad assed, super fast and fully gassed
Well tonight i got the pivot holes drilled out on the frame of my old GS to accept the 16mm pivot bolt for my 82 GS1100 aluminum boxed swinger. Was kinda scary, as i had a few mm's to take out of the existing holes. I used a 5/8 metal cutting bit, as the tollerances were JUST under 16mm and, knowing i was going to have to correct here and there for up and down and left and right, i'd rather have it a bit small than right on, or for that matter, too big obviously. The first hole was extremely scary, and i had to stop a couple times to take a few breaths, but it wasnt as bad as i was thinking it would be, and the second hole, with the pivot slid thru the first and placed in the backside of the original second hole as a guide, went like butter...here are some pics :)

100_0256.jpg

100_0255.jpg

and here she is mounted and purty ( i still need to polish it of course.)

100_0254-1.jpg

I'm surprised you had to drill out the pivot. That swinger fit perfect on my KZ twin. I ditched it though because I didn't like the extra 2 inches added to the wheel base. Made the bike look like a drag bike.

Wouldnt have had to for a post 80 GS...and you arent the first that has said that thier KZ bolted right up...lucky ass :p

Hey tob...did you end up with longer shocks when you had yours mounted? IF so how much longer did you go?

TonUpSoldier said:
Hey tob...did you end up with longer shocks when you had yours mounted? IF so how much longer did you go?

Well, I had it mocked up with 15" progressives(about an inch too long), and I just didn't dig the added length of the swingarm.
171_7174.jpg

You should have to use longer shocks to retain your original ride height, as your shock mounts get pushed 2" rearward so the bike is going to be lowered a touch.

Mine were pushed back only an inch. Ima try this set of 13.5 works piggybacks i have coming, if they're too short, they'll be for sale. I have a sneaking suspicion they will be, but i wouldnt mind actually dropping an inch in back, it USED to be 3 inches low in back and handled fine. i just worry about clearance.

Actually, if i do get rid of them, im not going to be able to sell them for what i paid for them (250 bucks) or at least sell them quick. If you're interested and they dont work out, i would swap for those 15 inch pro's if ya still have em.

tobiism said:
Well, I had it mocked up with 15" progressives(about an inch too long), and I just didn't dig the added length of the swingarm.
171_7174.jpg

You should have to use longer shocks to retain your original ride height, as your shock mounts get pushed 2" rearward so the bike is going to be lowered a touch.

Don't give up on the longer swingarm. Here's what it could look like with shorter shocks:

2144865739_fa3ce9d9f2.jpg

Would look badass.

Oh the swingarm is stayin for me. I just need to find the right length shock. If these 13.5s dont do the trick, either 14.5 or 15 to compensate for my fat ass will be the ones.

Photochop of my 77KZ750 Twin with stock shocks off a GS1100E .. I feel it is close to correct ride height
cafeshoe.jpg

hrmm Looks good on yours too! What length are the shocks. I think your frame to mine is probably apples to oranges tho...

13.5 is the eye to eye .. There is a lot of info on this swap at kzrider.com .. look in the archives ;D

Mine would be eyetoclevis, but no loss in ride hight on your KZ? Im sure to lose an inch just looking at it with stockers.

I am not a light weight rider and hardly even squeeze the rear shocks down when sitting on it .. very stiff ;D ;D

shoe48 said:
I am not a light weight rider and hardly even squeeze the rear shocks down when sitting on it .. very stiff ;D ;D

Im talking about in respect to the OEM Swinger's shock mount position.

With the stock shocks it seemed to work out ;D I guess you will know when your shocks show up ;D

Back
Top Bottom