My First Build, XS750

ChrisBR

Let me start off by saying, this is the first time ive taken a motorcycle, and completly transformed it. In the short past of my motorcycling life (im only 25) ive had a newer Honda Shadow, and a wrecked R6 that I pieced back together to ride to classes. Ive always been a quick learner by first hand curiosity, so I take things apart, and put them back together, better than they were before.(at least id like to think so)
So... I picked this up a few months ago, and ive been feeding off of info and ideas from the forums. Its a 77 Xs750 I picked up in Dallas. It had about 75k on it and from the looks of the purdue university tags and inspection sticker, it hadnt ran in about a decade. The originial carbs were caked with crap, and even after completly rebuilding them, i still couldnt get them tuned, so Theyll be going up for sale soon. Ive just been doing one thing at a time, and putting alot of style into it from different genres, I guess you could say. I would in sme way consider it cafe, and in other ways very much bratstyle... At least I have a pure idea for a bratstyle type seat.
Anyways, as time goes on, ill explain what ive done in the past. For now, here is a picture about the time that I brought it home, all the way to a recent picture of how it sits now.
Much more to come later.
IMG_6352.jpg

IMG_6559.jpg

IMG_6592.jpg

Wow! It looks like it's in great shape. I look forward to seeing what direction you go.

Looks good so far. Was that a typo, or does it really have 75k on the odometer? Thats a HUGE number of miles for that motor. Have you done any engine work?

That thing looks awesome. Is that bike shaft drive? Did not imagine a xs750 looking like that. Are those shorter rear shocks?
keep it up
- Steve

IMG_6592.jpg

Liking the look . shorten up them pipes and slap a seat on there and that thing is ready for the road.

VonYinzer said:
Looks good so far. Was that a typo, or does it really have 75k on the odometer? Thats a HUGE number of miles for that motor. Have you done any engine work?
Nope, seriously has that many miles. Thats what the odometersaid when I threw it in the corner. And right now there hasnt been any engine work, just some tranny fluid to help reseal the rings. This winter im going to rebuild the engine, get the power up with some thoughtful work.
stript.714 o/c said:
Liking the look . shorten up them pipes and slap a seat on there and that thing is ready for the road.
Thanks! For the mean time im just bending up some steel and using a 'mexican' blanket and some foam for something out of the ordinary. As far as exhaust, im really not sure whats going to happen.

Orale do it up bro just make sure you give me my pancho back when winter comes!
I am from California and we mexicans love putting our mexican memorabilia on everything .
You say the milage is high, how does she run?

Haha, Ive got one in my car at all times you can use if youre here in TX.
Anyways, I made this the other day. It bolts up perfectly to some tabs on the frame under the seat. I'm going to look for a leather dog collar to strap it down with.
IMG00239-20110710-2336.jpg

Sounds like you might want to rat bob that thing out? Check out chop cult. Guys there are doing some things you might be in to. ;D

Two things:

1) Bike looks great! I have a 77 xs750 and love it!

2) If you ever get rid of that tank, I will buy it off of you.

IMG_6597.jpg

This was the last picture I had before our garage filled with CRAP from roommates. I layed down thelaw and its being cleaned as we speak while im at work. Got the stance down, now to bolt up the fender, seat, taillight, and get it registered.
Soon the Primary chain will need to be replaced. Its a little stretched and hitting the case at some certain lower RPM's. Also, the swingarm bushing are old and there's some side to side play in them. Hell, It will get a full refinishing this winter once its all together.

Slick looking triple. What headlight bucket and ears are you using? It looks like its cut for a speedo...

Theyre some universal ears from speedmotoco, and the healight is stock. It just has large opening for the wiring. I may use one of the openings for the ignition. Time will tell. I'll soon be selling the headlight ears and clipons ,and reinstalling the stock ones to cover the upper tubes for a 'fatter' look. Then run some protaper fat bars for a better position.

Upholstry is getting done as we speak. I stopped by the shop a bit ago and theres Ron, drinking some Miller and shaping foam. ;D I tried it on my own, but I just cant get a sewing maching to rip through the this padding and material effectivly.

Going fenderless. It was a great thought, just didnt look right.

another xs! these things are popping up all over the place.
good choice of bike i have the bigger brother the 850.
keep up the good work and more pics please! ;)

UGH! im having the shittiest time finding a throttle cable that works with a motion pro throttle and the carbs from a triumph for this bike. Anyone have some suggestions on what could work?

Ive tried pulling a Mcguyver and it was working great for a while, then a friend comes over and snaps it off from the throttle tube.

Nice to see another 750 getting around! ;) Picked a 76 model up back in March for $300... So far it's got a RGV SP front end (with R6 internals), Suzuki SV650 dual pot calipers, and some other bits and pieces... but long way off finishing it. Looking forward to seeing your progress as you get thru it mate. Keep up the nice work :D Cheers!

Thanks for all the kind words!
Oily_Rag said:
Nice to see another 750 getting around! ;) Picked a 76 model up back in March for $300... So far it's got a RGV SP front end (with R6 internals), Suzuki SV650 dual pot calipers, and some other bits and pieces... but long way off finishing it. Looking forward to seeing your progress as you get thru it mate. Keep up the nice work :D Cheers!
Okay now, I need to see this bike, what was the process of the fork upgrade? Sounds amazing.

Back
Top Bottom