CB750 DOHC - Where to Buy bearings ?

kazjim

G'day guys, finally got my case apart and had a chance to check the crank this evening....

the Upper mains look great - almost new !

The lower mains also look good, but the middle one (Between 2 and 3) has worn though the material (Looking kinda coppery ....)

I've done the usual ebay / google search for a supplier, and the usual suspects popped up (Z1, CB750 cafe etc) but no-one seems to have the bearings .... are these NLA ?

Buying them from the local Honda dealer is not an option. Apart from the fact he is a Prat, his prices are just stupid ($400 for a master cylinder rebuild kit ? $60 each for brake pistons ?? f**k that)

Happy to pay postage from the states, but jsut cant nail down a supplier ...

Any suggestions ?

Cheers
J

teazer said:
Bike bandit, alfa sports - any on line dealer.

I second Bike Bandit. I actually checked there yesterday and they do have most of the sizes for the DOHC main bearings. Prices aren't horrible either.

$111 Postage for 9 Pairs of Bearings - Bike Bandit wont be getting my business like that .....

Wow.......... any other suggestions ?

Wow, that's a lot just for shipping. Where are you located? Maybe it'd be cheaper to have it sent to another member here and then have it shipped to you. I'd be happy to do it.

Have you tried just going to a local bearing supplier and having them match up the size and type?

Also, maybe try shooting an email to bikebandit and ask for a realistic price. I just shipped a fender from Utah to Australia this week for $19.00

"Burnin' oil and smellin' royal!"

Nahh, havnt tried locally yet, its usually a frustrating and horrible experience !

Got an email back from BikeBandit ...

Hello James.

Thank you for writing into bikebandit.com.

You are correct James, unfortunately, we only offer international shipping via UPS.

We do apologize for any inconvenience.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Guess they dont want the business . . . no worries, I'll look elsewhere :)

Thanks all
[/size]

kazjim said:
G'day guys, finally got my case apart and had a chance to check the crank this evening....

the Upper mains look great - almost new !

The lower mains also look good, but the middle one (Between 2 and 3) has worn though the material (Looking kinda coppery ....)

I've done the usual ebay / google search for a supplier, and the usual suspects popped up (Z1, CB750 cafe etc) but no-one seems to have the bearings .... are these NLA ?

Buying them from the local Honda dealer is not an option. Apart from the fact he is a Prat, his prices are just stupid ($400 for a master cylinder rebuild kit ? $60 each for brake pistons ?? f**k that)

Happy to pay postage from the states, but jsut cant nail down a supplier ...

Any suggestions ?

Cheers
J

Dealerships can charge anything they want.

Yes they CAN charge what they want, but here in Oz they see that as a chance to rob us blind . .

I've now got a ShipitTo address in Portland that I'm using to get around the insane postage costs :)

Cheers all
J

Just FYI - I received my bearings today (Via UPS)

I ordered from Bike Bandit, but used a re-postage service (HopShopGo)

Total postage ?

$19

took a fe weeks, but they got here (All individually packaged - how cute :p )

If anyone else needs to, you can use this system relatively cheaply.

Cheers, on with the build.

Cool, glad you lucked out on postage.
I'm not 100% but I think Hillman Imp bearings may fit (although it may be the 500F they go in?, it's been at least 30yrs)
One of the 70's/80's Toyota's also works but I don't remember which

PJ, does anyone else except you and I and maybe hoof and Beachcomber even know what an Imp was? we had a few of them when I lived in Scotland including and insane imp Sport with twin carbs and rally cam etc. That's the one I crashed and set on fire - rear engine-front fuel tank. Nothing left of the car or contents and my face got nicely toasted too.

No longer a fan of those beasts

LOL ;D
Probably not.
They did get them in Oz though.
I only got interested in them when they started getting used for sidecar racing, then I found out they were also being used in powerboats (130+bhp)
cool little engine, you can keep the res of it though ;)
I never had one but a few friends did
front really needed de-cambering so they could go round corners

Did that plus fat tyres (that's a relative term of course). Biggest PIA as I recall was working out the oil drain when fitting a Sport head onto a stock crankcase.

For the time it was a nice little engine 875cc alloy block and head. SOHC. Very advanced and light.

My mother had a new one in 1965 IIRC - it was pretty spartan, but I learned to drive in that when no one knew I was sneaking it out of the garage. Things were a little less strict in those days and I was young and stupid - now I'm no longer young ;-)

Back
Top Bottom