69 cb350 timing issue - points won't close

nyc69cb350

I have a 69 cb350 and I just put the motor back together and into the bike. I gapped the points and have been trying to get the timing done, but my issue is that the left side points won't close. I've tried two sets of points and I am getting the same problem on the left side.

I tried making sure I gapped them properly and did it three or four times.

I tried moving the base plate and still the left side won't close.

Anyine know what might be wrong> I am really stumped and frustrated.

TIA

I recently bought contacts for my CB125S on ebay and they sent the wrong ones. They looked 99% identical except for some very minor differences. I suggest you inspect them VERY closely and make sure they are indeed the correct parts.

you're not gapping them correctly then

you need to set the gap to .012-.016" when they are fully open, or when the cam follower is at the highest point of the cam (about 3/4 of the cam is the high area, so it's hard to miss), you don't move the base plate to set the gap, you only move the point unit around.

That's a good point since I had the wrong rocker arms installed on the bike and had to get new ones. Thing is I am not sure what to look for. I've looked at the microfiche but that doesn't really help unless I had the part number. Any advice?

Thx again.

RocCity, I gapped them a few times. The way I've been doing it is aligning the mark on the cam with the cam follower on the point, then gapping it from there. Is that right?

Right now I got it to where the point closes, but I can't get the timing right. So at least I am making some progress. Also is the right side supposed to fire every time it hits the F mark or every other time?

One other thing, I've seen your work when searching the web, your work is a real inspiration. Thx for taking the time to help me.

the mark on the cam iirc is at the lowest point, which is where the point should be closed, you should be able to look at the cam and see there's a low area about 1/4 of the circumference of the cam, the rest is the high area, where the point will be open, make sure the cam follower is riding on the high area, that's where the point should be open, measure there

Ok, at it's highest point the gap was barely .012. I adjusted it to .014 as per the manual. Thing is the minute I did that, the points would not close. Just checked the timing and I can't get it to close at all by turning the base plate. Are my points bad?

Do you ell know how I can tell if I have the wrong points? or cam? Like I said to kieferocks I know I had the wrong rocker arms on the bike. I just don't know how to tell what points or cam (I assume you're talking about spark advancer? Cause I know I have the right camshaft and arms on the bike now. Whether I installed them right...lol) I am supposed to have.

I can post some pics if you wanna see them.

Thx.

Ok thx, the other thing I remember is that I used two sets of points and I have been getting the same results. The left side points wouldn't close. It has me wondering if the cam is the issue. Thing is I don;t know what cam/advancer I should have on the bike. Is there a casting number or something on them?

Thees she donta maka no sense. The cam lifts both points as it rotates so it's barely possible to have that issue, unless the end of the cam is bent.

When you set the gap how are you doing that? Do you turn the motor until one side is lifted as far as it will lift and adjust that one, and then rotate it further until the other one is fully open and then adjust that one? Typically at TDC on one side and then rotate another 360 degree to TDC on the other side.

Yea Teazer I know what you mean which is why I am a little worried.

the last time I adjusted the left side points, I did it when it was at it's highest point which was barely .012. So I adjusted it to .014 as per the manual specs. Thing is when I did that, the points wouldn't close anymore. I tried timing it and I still couldn't get it to close by moving the base plate.

The last time I adjusted BOTH points, I did it by aligning the cam mark with the cam follower the points. That was AFTER I did it by rotating it to it's highest point. Whichever way I do it, the right closes but the left never does.

I am worried my cam is the issue. Someone pointed out that my cam looks rusty and a little cruddy so I am gonna clean it with emery.

Wish I knew how to post a pic here.

So I cleaned my cam and installed brand new points. I still can't get the timing right. When I assemble the advancer, does the cam mark align with the notch on the back of the advancer?

Thx

Pictures are absolutely crucial right now, take some pictures while holding a pen or a nail and point to what areas you're referring to. You may have some terms mixed up and it's confusing to follow.

Back
Top Bottom