CB350 points cam not turning when pushing

redwillissuperman

Keep it simple- engine, wheels, bars
Quick question: if you put the bike in gear and push, should the points cam turn? Also, the kick starter does not engage anything.

I am assuming the cam chain is broken.... :-\

Yes, the cam should turn. Actually, if the camchain is broken, the kicker will still turn the transmission and crank. There will be some resistance. If you can hear and feel the crank turning and the points cam doesn't turn, either the chain is broken or the cam sprocket bolts have broken off. Remove the camchain tensioner at the back of the cylinders and see if the camchain is still wrapped around the tensioner wheels.

Red, is the crank spinning but the camshaft is not? I think this may sound like a clutch issue......

From what I remember:

- Kickstarter does nothing (flapping in the wind...)
- Put in gear and push, there is slight resistance

I thought it was a seized clutch too but when pushing in gear shouldn't the points cam turn?

Just trying to decide to start work on the original engine or just swap over to my spare and save it for later.

Tomorrow I will take a closer look at things. Should I hook up the electric start since that acts on the crank directly?

If your clutch is held in (or seized up), then the kicker will not engage. Also, I can't speak for the rolling resistance of a cb350, but if the crank is not spinning then neither will the cam. Pull the cover off the left side (I think) and spin the crank by hand. Then check to see if the camshaft is spinning.

Clutch doesn't sound seized, sounds like it's completely disengaged.
Check adjustment is correct before you start tearing into things

take the alternator cover off, and do the same tests, my guess is that you'll see the alternator not moving either, because the engine is probably stuck and the clutch is either slipping when you try to kick it, or disengaged

Back
Top Bottom