CB360 Exhaust Replacement

Treesus

Probably not sane.
Hey everyone,

I've been creepin' on all of you on here for a few years now but haven't ever really posted much. Bit internet shy? Hah.

Anyhow, I have a 1974 CB360G I've been riding longer than I've been creepin'. So far I haven't really modded too much on it. I've spent most of my tinkering time getting it from being a dusty and rusty garage find to a daily, year round runner. (New blinkers, headlight bucket, paint, K&N RC-2770 filters with baffles around them to sort of act as boxes, rebuilt carbs, Dyna coils, new points, tires, CB350 tail light, and...some other meaningless stuff I can't recall).

This is a picture of it about a year ago when I got it looking in a way I was at least part way happy with. Don't laugh too hard. I am a photographer and a friend of mine and I got access to a real nice into studio and wanted to play around shooting a few items, one of them being my bike.
CB360Tree.jpg

Anyhow, I want exhaust advice. I really enjoy the look of the stock pipes (exception being the giant top and bottom welds running their entire length). However, I know they are quite restrictive. I punched, drilled, and pulled out the last three(I think) baffles which made them quite a bit more low-end rumbly than before, but PJ was telling me it probably didn't do much for actual flow.

SO. I am now beginning my search for new silencers. I would like to retain, in spirit at least, and bit of the stock visual flow. Who has any ideas/input/sugguests/experience with different pipes? Tell me about it all. Who knows what I might end up enjoying...

so far I've considered:

I found some used 22.75" HD Sportster slip ons. I could fabricate a 5" extension off the headers with a bend to keep the stock up sweep. This total set up would be about a bit over an inch shorter overall than the stock system.
HDSportsterMuffler.jpg

Emgo 32". I have never really wanted to buy anything from them, but they have these Triump T140/150 style replacements. Getting an upward bend with these would be a bit more difficult and less pronounced because they are already about as long as the stock pipes and are straight but I'm sure could be made to look nice. However, I have no idea if they would be an upgrade in terms of flow. (Anyone know?)
EmgoTriumph140150.jpg

I could try to find a massive drill or machine shop to decimate the insides of the stock pipes to open them up. Also though about cutting them open, removing the stamped ridges, cleaning out the insides and taking them to someone to weld back together and re-chrome... but that sounds like quite a bit of work and money for stock pipes.

K, input. GO!

And thanks,

Tree

Hey Tree-

Won't be much help on the exhaust but will be watching the replies. I'm rebuilding a CL360 right now. Would it be a stretch to ask you to post a pic of the air filters. I've got to put new ones in and have been asking for help on clearance issues.

Thanks.

I've got a couple of HD silencers, damn they are heavy when stock
You should be able to get a couple of bends and fit them with an up-sweep.
Up to 6" shorter than stock works
Get a 1-1/2" hole saw from Home Depot and core drill stuff.
Just make sure you have a very low speed drill (maybe old carpenters hand brace would work?)
Power drill spins too fast

You could also grind most of that weld flange off and open them up. Then modify the baffles and weld them back up.

PJ - Are the HD silencers heavier than the CB units? and would you say they are worth the $40? I would think they would flow pretty well since they are meant for a larger engine. And do you think I could core out enough of the stock pipes to help?

Teazer - thats kind of what I was thinking. I need to see if I can find someone who can weld them back together and re-chrome for a reasonable price. I don't have a welder myself... should probably change that soon.

Wesnor - Do you have the original boxes? If you want to change the filters and have those, at least keep the rubber throats/stacks that attach to the carbs. Just know that, as has been stated on here a million times, changing to any type of pod filter causes nearly endless problems do some long searching and reading on here before you commit to it or you will lose a lot of power. That being said, if you go to the K&N website, you can search their filters by all dimensions which is endlessly helpful. Measure the Outside Diameter of whatever you will be attaching the filter to, whether it is the rubber stack or directly to the carb. I think the stacks are 2", but I can't remember so double check. They have plenty of filters that will attach, and you can measure to see which will fit depending on how you set up that area (battery?).

here are some photos of the filters for fit reference. You can see the rubber stack off the stock filter I mentioned. It is important if you are keeping the stock battery location because, as you can sort of see, they offset the filters.
IMG_9865.jpg
IMG_9870.jpg

That should work pretty close to stock but with better flow at high rpm.
HD silencers are lighter than stock and will flow more as they are designed for a 1200cc motor
Try them stock first.
$40.00 is pretty cheap, a single Thrush glass pack cost about the same

off subject great looking stocker.. i ran the same concept you did with the rubber from the original air box.. It is very flimsy.. you will probably lose a filter when riding..F.Y,I

MAC makes a 2 into 1 and a straight 2 set of pipes in both chrome and black I believe. Not too expensive either at around $250-300 for entire set of pipes. Might want to check them out.

Main problem with the MAC is the baffle is pretty restrictive.
Not a big deal but it does need modifying to work better (leaving it out makes things way too loud, louder than open pipes)

Stript - thanks. Yea, they do move around a bit. For now, I have them braced against the battery box. What did you end up doing later?

I got busy with the end of my semester, then setting up a new shop to work in so I haven't done any work yet. However, I found perforated baffle tubing and glass-pack, and found a used Hobart MIG welder on Craigslist, so I think I am going to try cutting them open and replacing the innards. If that doesn't work, I'll buy something.

Treesus said:
Stript - thanks. Yea, they do move around a bit. For now, I have them braced against the battery box. What did you end up doing later?

I went to the home depot pluming department, (the pipe fitting section) They have these rubber fittings that work great.. Check it out.. I also cut a small piece of pvc so the pod would have something to hold on too.
Photo252.jpg

Photo257-1.jpg

Photo255.jpg

Photo249.jpg

Hah, and of course celebrated your accomplishments with a golden-goodness. I need to figure out a way to keep the bend in mine because I don't plan on ditching the stock battery box at the moment. May have to take another dangerous (to my wallet) adventure to browse home depot as well.

Back
Top Bottom