www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1983 XV500 Cafe Racer  (Read 42859 times)

Online Karlloss

Re: 1983 XV500 Cafe Racer
« Reply #40 on: Jan 19, 2013, 14:14:20 »
May be easier than a new build and you will have a Vin  and number on the headstock so less hassle.
Its a triumph Daytona 900 frame could use any of the triple frames from that era.
You may only be able to use the headstock and backbone but thats what you were replacing anyhow.

Been thinking even more!!  I'm gonna research the cost and availability of a Daytona frame.

Offline notlob

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Made in England
    • CB750 Brat Bobber Build Thread
« Reply #41 on: Jan 19, 2013, 14:57:12 »
Theres quite few on ebay, range from £50 to £200.

I dont have an XV to measure the engine so haven't been able to figure out if it will fit the mounting plates between the headstock and rear curve. Or whether you will be able to keep the rear curve or have to cut it off.
“Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look.” >> Steve McQueen

Look at it! God, your project is ... it's everywhere. Your garage looks like you've been committing war crimes against a robot.

Build Threads
1980 Cb750: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43860.0
1982 CB900: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=46733.0

Online Karlloss

« Reply #42 on: Feb 06, 2013, 05:55:19 »
I thought now the bad weather has gone I'd chase up my steel provider as I asked him to price some tube so I can cost the best way to deal with the frame, he hasn't done it yet and on top of that he told me he has a tube bender, I thought excellent. However it transpires that it isn't a tube bender, just a pipe bender.......I've got one of those so back to the drawing board and maybe a frame off ebay...ggggggrrrrrr!

Online Karlloss

« Reply #43 on: Apr 18, 2013, 16:04:21 »
After a long long winter, my wedding to my beautiful bride, a change in job (same company) and a fantastic honeymoon to Asia, I thought I'd best get on with my project. Tried to buy a tube bender off ebay, got out bid, original steel supplier let me down, I've now submitted my drawings and paid for my new frame tube with 2 bends.  With all things being well my build will be back on track... :D

Online Karlloss

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 13:41:55 »
Ok, so I've had a new frame tube made, actually had 2 as the bloke got confused, but I was happy with the price so I've now got a spare one.

Did some mock ups at the weekend, just to get an idea of position etc.

Online Karlloss

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013, 13:44:09 »
Just need to find some time to work on it.

Offline MJPriceisright

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 14:46:57 »
ill jump on board, interested to see what you make of it.  i swapped for a gixxer front end but love the ride height and angle, can also check my thread for insight.  did you get it running?  ive also considered the dual carb swap, but at the moment i am running.. wont fix what aint broke at the moment.

Online Karlloss

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2013, 17:38:42 »
MJ thanks for the support. I haven't had it running properly...yet. Still undecided on the carbs, I've bought a set of a four cylinder bike, so I have the option to stick with the original, which need a fuel pump, of swap them for 2 side draught carbs.

As the original frame has the rear shock running up the centre of the frame I'm looking at going for a side mount shock, akin to what Kawasaki use on their ER6.

Next step is to drill the frame tube and mount to the engine.

My plan is to sort the headstock out after I've mounted the frame tube to the rest of the chassis...........

Offline notlob

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Made in England
    • CB750 Brat Bobber Build Thread
« Reply #48 on: Jun 02, 2013, 11:54:55 »
Hows it going with build? That new backbone is going to bring that headstock down quite a way and give you plenty of options on front forks now.
“Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look.” >> Steve McQueen

Look at it! God, your project is ... it's everywhere. Your garage looks like you've been committing war crimes against a robot.

Build Threads
1980 Cb750: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43860.0
1982 CB900: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=46733.0

Online Karlloss

« Reply #49 on: Jun 03, 2013, 10:28:26 »
It's going slow, mainly due to lack of time. I've drilled out the new backbone today. I'll be getting it welded and mounted soon. I'm away touring Europe at the end of this week on my Speed Triple, so the progress on the XV will be slow. However I will get it done!! :D