www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Cb360 Reassembly Help  (Read 1523 times)

Offline cb360j

Re: Cb360 Reassembly Help
« Reply #50 on: Jul 13, 2018, 10:24:55 »
I should have rebuilt the clutch from the start, do not know what I was thinking.
What else should I go ahead and replace while I am down there? Any particular brand of clutch I should get?

Another question: Should The clutch be adjusted when the bike is in gear or out of gear? Or does it even matter?
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2018, 12:17:45 by cb360j »

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
« Reply #51 on: Jul 13, 2018, 12:51:13 »
There is no actual adjustment to the clutch itself, only to the throw out mechanism that operates it.  If you have not had the clutch apart, probably it is ok.

Take the left cover back off (the one with the throw out mechanism on it)  While spinning the back wheel, put the transmission in any gear.  The wheel should stop because it is now connected to the engine which is not turning.  If it spins when in gear, there is likely a problem with the clutch. 
If it stops, leave it in gear and put the cover back on.  If the wheel will now spin, it is because there is an issue with the throw out causing the clutch to be disengaged simply by being installed.  Leave the cover on making sure all the bolts are installed and correctly tightened, and take the cable off at the hand lever so it will not interact with the throw out adjustment.  Adjust the throw out by loosening the lock nut and backing out the adjuster until it no longer is pushing on the push rod.  The clutch should now be engaged and the wheel will no longer be able to spin.  Screw the adjuster in and out until you feel where is just contacts the push rod, then back off 1/4 turn.  Hold the adjuster in place and tighten the lock nut.  The throw out is now adjusted and will not need further adjustment until you start riding the bike.   Now put the cable back on and adjust.

You transmission is not designed to work unless it is spinning so do not try to force it into any gear unless it is.  There is a lot of free play between the engagement dogs of all the gears, so it often happens that a gear can be selected even if the gears are not turning, but it is not intended to be put in any gear while stationary.  This is why sometimes it will readily click into gear, and other times will seem to do nothing.  If you turn the rear wheel, it will always click right into gear.
Mobius

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

1973 RD350 Yamaha build  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66498.0

Offline cb360j

« Reply #52 on: Jul 13, 2018, 15:11:44 »
When the cover is off, i can put it in gear and the wheel will not spin. When I place the cover back on, the wheel will still not spin. So does this mean it is likely that the throw out is fine?

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #53 on: Jul 13, 2018, 15:59:41 »
The outside of your clutch basket is geared and linked to your crankshaft.  The inside of the basket is linked to your counter sprocket. When you pull the cable, the mechanism on the left side of the motor rotates up onto ball bearings, which pushes the rod through motor and pushes the inside part of the clutch basket out, which releases pressure from the plates.  The at rest position of the clutch is for the plates to be engaged, thus allowing the interior and exterior components of the clutch to spin together.  If your wheel doesn't move because the motor is at rest and the transmission engaged, that means your clutch mechanism is not engaging. 

Offline cb360j

« Reply #54 on: Jul 13, 2018, 16:43:24 »
The outside of your clutch basket is geared and linked to your crankshaft.  The inside of the basket is linked to your counter sprocket. When you pull the cable, the mechanism on the left side of the motor rotates up onto ball bearings, which pushes the rod through motor and pushes the inside part of the clutch basket out, which releases pressure from the plates.  The at rest position of the clutch is for the plates to be engaged, thus allowing the interior and exterior components of the clutch to spin together.  If your wheel doesn't move because the motor is at rest and the transmission engaged, that means your clutch mechanism is not engaging.

So if the clutch mechanism is not engaging, would the next step be to pull the cover off the other side and ensure that the clutch discs are not seized together or to ensure the clutch rod is pushing in the correct place?
If my understanding is correct, the clutch rod simply just runs through the transmission and can be removed quite easily by pulling it straight out?

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #55 on: Jul 13, 2018, 16:56:05 »
Yep.  It's just a straight rod.  If the bike sat a long time, then there is a strong possibility the discs are stuck together.

Offline cb360j

« Reply #56 on: Jul 13, 2018, 20:42:59 »
Well, took the clutch pack apart. The front couples of discs werenít stuck together but the back ones were for sure. Put them in some oil and they came apart but will probably buy a new one anyway.

Maybe try to find a CJ oil pickup while Iím at it in here.

Offline raptormeat

« Reply #57 on: Jul 17, 2018, 02:58:39 »
I should have rebuilt the clutch from the start, do not know what I was thinking.
What else should I go ahead and replace while I am down there? Any particular brand of clutch I should get?

Another question: Should The clutch be adjusted when the bike is in gear or out of gear? Or does it even matter?

why you are in the bottom end, replace the kickstart plate with one from a cj360 instead, they are more robust and designed to let you kickstart every time for the life of the bike. everyone has same issue, kickstart rattle once the plate fails. .. also doubling up on one of the springs is harmless.
Minimal CB378 Brat
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=53242.0

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - We also discriminate!!

Sexy RD350 Cafe Thing
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=55882.0

Offline cb360j

« Reply #58 on: Jul 17, 2018, 09:13:32 »
Because the clutch wasnít engaging, Iím not necessarily in the bottom end. Just have the the side cover off while replacing clutch pack.

Doubling up on springs?
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2018, 10:05:00 by cb360j »